Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Building up a Stinky! All Done...Pics!

Here it is. Man that was fun. Not cheap but fun. I'm glad I did it this way too. Now I have pretty much everything I wanted for the right price! :thumbsup: I love how the forks match the paint. Turning radius does blow though. Nobody make fun of my gargantuan brake lines now, I'm waiting for my bleeder kit to come so I can shorten them. Let hear your thoughts!

05 Stinky Frame w/DHX 3.0- $600- Closeout The Path
Truvative Stem- $10 Closeout (Ebay)
SRAM X9 Shifters- $40- Ebay (new)
Azonic Outlaw Wheelset- $225 new (Beyondbikes.com)
Truvativ Hozfeller Crank $130 new closeout (Beyondbikes.com)
Avid Juicy 5 brakes- $220 Ebay new
SRAM X7 Mid Cage R Der. $50 Ebay New
Shimano LX F Der $22 Ebay New
SRAM PG 980 Cassette $43 Ebay New
Truvativ Gigapipe Team BB $41 new closeout (Beyondbikes.com)
Maxxis Mobster 2.5 Tires- $13x2- $26- Jensonusa
Truvative Team DH bars- free
FSA Pig DH pro Headset- $35 Ebay New
Raceface Seatpost- $20 used The Path
Manitou Sherman Slider + $250
Grips-Free from Beyond Bikes
Shimano M645 Pedals- Free
Terry Fly Saddle- Free
THE grips-Free

Total so far ~ $1750

I think we all knew it would end up this way....

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
I think you need a fork, tubes, rim strips, headset spacers, cables, housing, seatpost and clamp (if not included with frame), seat, grips, pedals, cassette, and probably some other miscellaneous odds and ends.

Good luck though, and post up pictures when done.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
XSL_WiLL said:
I think you need a fork, tubes, rim strips, headset spacers, cables, housing, seatpost and clamp (if not included with frame), seat, grips, pedals, cassette, and probably some other miscellaneous odds and ends.

Good luck though, and post up pictures when done.
I adjusted it. I posted in a hurry! Looks like $1500 is a pipe dream although I am putting some good stuff on it.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
Nines are problematic. They have a very on/off feel.

I run the J7s, they have been great for me. They do take a little bit more time on the initial setup. But once you have them bedded in and working, they're great. It just seems that a lot of people have trouble setting up the brakes with the CPS washers.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi,
first post on this forum so feel free to ignore me! BUT, I don't rate the truvativ external bearing bottom brackets. I ran one on my last bike and it needed constant re-packing (4 times in 6 months) by me and the LBS as it constantly creaked. I only weigh 80 Kilograms so i would not expect to have to do this with a FR specific BB that often. I am going to run the Shimano hollowtech II system on my new bike as I have heard nothing but good reports from it. Not sure on pricing in the states but you can pick them up here for under $200.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
The Truvativ BB rolls on sealed cartridge bearings. Typically you don't want to dissassemble and repack cartridge bearings.

Did your shop wrap the threads in teflon tape? Often times, that solves the creaking. I would also have checked the torque on the chainring bolts and seatpost. Often times, those parts can make it sound like the BB is creaking.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
XSL_WiLL said:
The Truvativ BB rolls on sealed cartridge bearings. Typically you don't want to dissassemble and repack cartridge bearings.

Did your shop wrap the threads in teflon tape? Often times, that solves the creaking. I would also have checked the torque on the chainring bolts and seatpost. Often times, those parts can make it sound like the BB is creaking.
So wrap the BB with Teflon Plumbers tape? Great tip! Any other build tips? This is my first full build in 15 years since I worked at Jax's in Long Beach as a mechanic!

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
ehansen007 said:
So wrap the BB with Teflon Plumbers tape? Great tip! Any other build tips? This is my first full build in 15 years since I worked at Jax's in Long Beach as a mechanic!
Fill all the plug holes in the bottom bracket area with grease. Be generous with greasing the seat tube. Be generous with grease on bolts all around. Make sure the pedal threads are greased, and you're watching the left and right pedals go into their respective crank arms. Keep in mind that non-drive is reverse threaded. With the BB cups, drive side is reverse threaded. Don't cross thread. If you feel excessive resistance, don't force it.

Carbon pieces should not be greased. Most metal on metal contact areas should be greased. Most things that you don't want to seize should be greased.

Use uncoated cables with a decent housing. You can use a dry lube/teflon spray inside the housing. Wet lubes will attract dirt. Make sure all the housing cuts are clean, and square. Use an awl to open up the inner sheath after you've cut the housing. A quick cut with the dremel tool and a cutting disc produces nice results. When running the housing, use nice smooth runs, no sharp bends or twists. Pre-stretch the cables while the bike is in the stand. After everything is together, shift the shifter up several gears (don't pedal) until you can't push the shift lever any further. Then just tug down on an exposed section of cable a little bit. Shift the shifter back into the starting position. Re-tension the cable.

·
Canadian Invasion
296 Posts
I've got nayes nines with the BFL levers on 8" rotors and I personally love them. I've had zero problems with them, and I get a nice feel....I wouldn't describe as on/off but thats just me. They stop my ride in a second from hauling ass. They don't feel as amazing as my friends juicy 7's, but if you want to save some $, I would recommend them. Just make sure you get the BFL levers or something like dangerboy or straitline. I've tried nines with the stock levers and they feel sooo much worse.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I got the bike together now I'm trying to get the derailleurs working. Man, are these bike heavy! I thought the shorter stem would make it easier to wheelie but it's like a tank (Sherman Fork!) I'll post up some pics soon. It's looking pretty sweet.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, almost done. I got everything on and working and now I just have to tune it. It's been a fun obsession so far. Man are these bikes heavy compared to XC! I've got an Avid bleed kit coming for the brakes since they are pretty squishy. I think I'll take it down to the local shop to have them give it the once over. I'll put up pics soon. Thanks for your help guys!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.