Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· always licking the glass
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured this would be a good place to put this here (x-posting from the Canfield subforum). I have the initial build done, mainly as an XCish ride and even for snow.

My Tilt (140mm/139mm rear) fully built:

Tilt medium:
  • Ohlins 140mm RXF 36 m2 fork
  • Ohlins 210x55 TTX rear shock
  • SRAM AXS shifting, Shimano XT 12 speed cassette and chain
  • fox transfer post
  • 40mm chromag stem, spank vibrocore handlebars, oury grips,
  • Hope M2 brakes (200mm front, 180mm rear)
  • wheels hope pro 4 tech/DT swiss 14/15 gauge spokes, DT swiss M542 rims (35mm IW)
  • tires 2.8 Rekon front and rear
  • 155mm cranks with 28t chainring

Thinking of reducing the rear shock to 210x50 to make it more XC at 125mm rear, but i dunno. I’m running short cranks that I think having less suspension might be better for longer distance/time rides. Thoughts?

· Registered
6,157 Posts
I will be really interested to hear how it rides! I had a Yelli and early N9, and liked them. But have always been curious about their full suspension bikes, even though they are fairly overkill for trails in my area.

Ohh, and trim your brake lines ya hippie!

4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will be really interested to hear how it rides! I had a Yelli and early N9, and liked them. But have always been curious about their full suspension bikes, even though they are fairly overkill for trails in my area.

Ohh, and trim your brake lines ya hippie!
I have a Balance for the majority of my chunky rides, but we have some out that either full of shitty litter, or are smooth with no payoffs, or something I need for winter riding. Initial rides feel like a bicycle shaped dune buggy :)

I’m really a big fan of Canfield, not only the bike geo, but also the suspension design.

· Rippin da fAt
11,978 Posts
As long as none of them are carbon, I’ll ride all the bikes :)
Wut, you don't like plastic bikes??

They cost by far too much for my taste and custom is a better way to get the dimensions and geo I will enjoy. When I look at prices today, I start working up another frame design. CAD and Solidworks are my friend.

4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wut, you don't like plastic bikes??

They cost by far too much for my taste and custom is a better way to get the dimensions and geo I will enjoy. When I look at prices today, I start working up another frame design. CAD and Solidworks are my friend.
Nope. Tried several different brands, and the rigidity never felt right (either too much or not enough), and the ride overall never felt right. Metal for life.

Hopefully my little plus project on the Tilt will be perfect. I looked at going custom with Reeb, but man, that’s an expensive frame. I ended up with the Tilt, and from what I like with my Balance, I doubt I’ll be disappointed once I get the right chainring size on it.

· Rippin da fAt
11,978 Posts
Nope. Tried several different brands, and the rigidity never felt right (either too much or not enough), and the ride overall never felt right. Metal for life.

Hopefully my little plus project on the Tilt will be perfect. I looked at going custom with Reeb, but man, that’s an expensive frame. I ended up with the Tilt, and from what I like with my Balance, I doubt I’ll be disappointed once I get the right chainring size on it.
I can certainly relate. With some of the big brands going into custom frame territory with their prices, I could see saving money by doing a custom over buying a production bike from those brands. Canfield has been around long enough that they are a good choice at a good price point.

Back to the Tilt... How are you liking the bike at this early point? It looks very enjoyable.

4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I can certainly relate. With some of the big brands going into custom frame territory with their prices, I could see saving money by doing a custom over buying a production bike from those brands. Canfield has been around long enough that they are a good choice at a good price point.

Back to the Tilt... How are you liking the bike at this early point? It looks very enjoyable.
Ok, finally got the fit right, but need some help with the tires/wheels/rims:
  • I really hate the Maxxis tires, and my goal is to get completely off them. I have 2.8 Maxxis Rekon tires on my Tilt, and not really a fan (I hate their sidewalls). I'm not opposed to any other brands and I'm willing to try as long as they fit. I have some issues getting a 2.8 Nobby Nic to fit, but that's probably because Maxxis measures 2.7 and the Nobby Nics are actually true to size. :/
  • Also, I'm running 35mm IW rims. I'm not sure that's best for 2.8 tires, but I want thoughts about that before going out and getting some rims.
  • I need to get the shock retuned. The bike does not feel poppy at all, and I'll also reduce the travel to 125mm.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.