Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, been reading here for a while, finally registered.

My current bike is trashed, so, going to build a new one for this season. XC racing, hardtail. I'm 5'8", 150lbs, I don't really bash my bike but tend to ride fast so it still takes something of a beating. I plan on racing a lot this summer.

I have my eye on a kona kula primo. Made of scandium, about 3lbs total. Wondering if anybody here has experience with it. The price tag is real nice, ~$600 I believe.

For a fork I was looking at either a Rock Shox Sid Race or a Fox Float RLT. Is the fox worth the extra $200?

The other big concern is wheels. I've been recommended Mavic Crosmax, but they're more expensive than the frame even. It seems like it woudl be alot cheaper just to get rims and hubs and either build them or pay my LBS to do it. Any advice?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hi,

I just built a race bike last year based on an 03 Kona King Kikapu. Not the same
frame, but any ~5.3 lb large FS frame that can hold up to me makes me believe
that Kona in general makes quality stuff.

I weigh about 200 lbs geared up and ran a SID SL (02) and a Mavic 717 disc
wheelset w/WTB laser disc lite hubs. Although I don't ride this bike alot, I probably
took it out about 20 time last year including 4 races. Took rough terrain and
smallish drops (2-3') no problem, and the wheels are still true. Don't expect the
SID to be supper plush, though.

If I were doing it from scratch, I migh consider the cheapest of the
Reba forks. I got the SID for free as a hand-me-down, and for a race-only bike it's
good, but the extra travel and stiffness of the Reba may be worth it if this is your
only ride. You'll be giving up around half a pound, though, if that kind of thing
matters to you. Its a similar spec (travel/stiffness) of the Fox, but a lot cheaper.

Check out Colorado cyclist for the wheels. I got my disc wheelset for $350 (if you want
tubeless, you can get it with the 819 rims for $380). They make nice wheels, and
you can't beat what you get for the price. Cross-max wheels are exepensive and
used non-standard parts, and they are considerably heavier. You didn't mention
if you were using disc or rim brakes. If you are using rim brakes, I would go for
custom build from based on the Mavic 717 rim brakes w/either XTR or DT Swiss
hubs. Another option I considered but decided against because of price were
American Classic wheels. You won't find a lighter wheel than this. I think they
are in the $550 range, but still cheaper than new CrossMax's, and way lighter.
They have both rim and disc brake options, too.

Good luck w/the build.

Shawn

ghost_03 said:
Hi all, been reading here for a while, finally registered.

My current bike is trashed, so, going to build a new one for this season. XC racing, hardtail. I'm 5'8", 150lbs, I don't really bash my bike but tend to ride fast so it still takes something of a beating. I plan on racing a lot this summer.

I have my eye on a kona kula primo. Made of scandium, about 3lbs total. Wondering if anybody here has experience with it. The price tag is real nice, ~$600 I believe.

For a fork I was looking at either a Rock Shox Sid Race or a Fox Float RLT. Is the fox worth the extra $200?

The other big concern is wheels. I've been recommended Mavic Crosmax, but they're more expensive than the frame even. It seems like it woudl be alot cheaper just to get rims and hubs and either build them or pay my LBS to do it. Any advice?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the detailed reply!

Havn't decided if i'm going to go disc or rim brake yet, the '05 kula primo i don't think has rim brake mounts so I'm leaning towards disc. The x717disc rims were my choice if i didn't go for a complete wheelset. Still have to pick out hubs, though. The american classic wheelset also sounds nice--not sure how much I want to spend yet but if my budget allows a lot for wheels, light is a good thing. I'm shooting to keep this bike less than 22lbs.

I'll check out the Reba's, another fork that looks nice is manitou skareb super. apparently it's a little heavier but a little more plush than the sid. Won't be my only bike, my current bike is real beat and no longer reliable for a race, but I might turn it into a trail/around town sort of ride and keep this for training and racing.

quasi_shawn said:
Hi,

I just built a race bike last year based on an 03 Kona King Kikapu. Not the same
frame, but any ~5.3 lb large FS frame that can hold up to me makes me believe
that Kona in general makes quality stuff.

I weigh about 200 lbs geared up and ran a SID SL (02) and a Mavic 717 disc
wheelset w/WTB laser disc lite hubs. Although I don't ride this bike alot, I probably
took it out about 20 time last year including 4 races. Took rough terrain and
smallish drops (2-3') no problem, and the wheels are still true. Don't expect the
SID to be supper plush, though.

If I were doing it from scratch, I migh consider the cheapest of the
Reba forks. I got the SID for free as a hand-me-down, and for a race-only bike it's
good, but the extra travel and stiffness of the Reba may be worth it if this is your
only ride. You'll be giving up around half a pound, though, if that kind of thing
matters to you. Its a similar spec (travel/stiffness) of the Fox, but a lot cheaper.

Check out Colorado cyclist for the wheels. I got my disc wheelset for $350 (if you want
tubeless, you can get it with the 819 rims for $380). They make nice wheels, and
you can't beat what you get for the price. Cross-max wheels are exepensive and
used non-standard parts, and they are considerably heavier. You didn't mention
if you were using disc or rim brakes. If you are using rim brakes, I would go for
custom build from based on the Mavic 717 rim brakes w/either XTR or DT Swiss
hubs. Another option I considered but decided against because of price were
American Classic wheels. You won't find a lighter wheel than this. I think they
are in the $550 range, but still cheaper than new CrossMax's, and way lighter.
They have both rim and disc brake options, too.

Good luck w/the build.

Shawn

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.