Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of getting back into mountain biking and am building up a partially built Trek 990. It's an older CroMo Steel frame, but I got it for next to nothing with a Judy TT and Chris King Headset. The bike also has the older, polished silver XT V-brakes, and a 9 speed med. cage XT rear derailler.

Anyway, my question is, I have been reading on these forums about the popularity of the 1x9 setup, and in the past, I never shifted out of the middle chainring, and always hated the front derailler. Given my setup, would these cranks work with what I have?:

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/21...-Face-Evolve-Single-Speed-Cranks-32T-2010.htm

I can't really find a BB and Crankset that is much cheaper used, and these are brand new. Aside from maybe a chain guide, would the included BB work with my older frame?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mtnbiker72 said:
Yes, that will fit on a old 990...I had a 970 (same frame) back in 1997-2000, fun frame!
Thanks for the response! I am somewhat hesitant to dump anything more than a few hundred dollars into this frame, but I have read that it is one of the last, best American made steel frames... so it might be somewhat of a nostalgia bike, lol. I made a pact with myself that I would ride this bike for about a year, and after that, if I am still riding regularly, I'll buy something more modern... well, assuming that I actually WANT something more modern ;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.