Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
With the recent windstorms in the PNW, we've got an abundance of blowdown. Well, we've got a good sized project that our crew has been working on for a couple of months now and with some of that blowdown, we're making lemonade out of the lemons that mother nature has given us. ;)

Saturday, we had FM, Slayer Rulz, EIO, Largextracheese, my wife (aka, CBX), [email protected] and myself working on some new stringers for a log ride / ladder section across a bog/creek we needed to navigate to bring the 2 halves of the project together. We were out there for 6 hours and got it totally dialed, but the light was waning as we left and we didn't get any good "finished" pics. A few guys made it out yesterday and put cedar rungs almost the entire way down the log ride before running out of light again. Slayer Rulz christened this sumbich before we left on Saturday though. :thumbsup:

A few shots of the project.....
1. Me and Armando hauling cedar in (leftover from another project)
2. EIO navigating the beginning of the log ride
3. Freshly cut stringers mounted.
4. FM and Armando splitting some cedar (definitely not OSHA certified).......gotta love that smell!
5. Armando cutting the long stringer and FM topping the log ride with a pulaski.

Cheers,
EBX

Attachments

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
A few more.

1. Looking down on the cut stringes.
2. Shasta and Baker chillin'
3. Slayer Rulz hauling a support.
4. FM.....our cedar sherpa.
5. EIO and myself decking the entrance with cedar.

Cheers,
EBX

Attachments

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jarrod7219 said:
wow, that looks like so much fun, unfortunatly, in our neck of the woods, they greatly restrict any building of structures. have fun, Jarrod
Yeah, super fun, but also a LOT of work. We've had a big crew pretty much every weekend when the weather hasn't been too nasty....but there have been some really cold and wet days out there.

BTW, this particular section wasn't built for fun....it's so we can span a big wetland section and we're just taking advantage of the blowdown that the recent storms gave us. :thumbsup:

Cheers,
EBX

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
paintballeerXC said:
are those nails in the last picture? some one said that nails are a big nono for building. i would like to have your opinion?
The rungs are nailed to the stringers. The stringers and supports are tongue-and-grooved, then bolted together using pilot holes and lag-bolts. No living trees were nailed/screwed into.

Here is what the "whistler trail standards" call out. If you ride the shore, most of the rungs are nailed in. Standards for a resort/ municipality are a lot different than what works for a local trail...screws would be ideal but no realistic for this project.

Attachments

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
paintballeerXC said:
are those nails in the last picture? some one said that nails are a big nono for building. i would like to have your opinion?
Screws would definitely be more solid and last longer, but also take infinitely longer to work with. We use lag bolts or long spikes for holding stringers together, but long nails for the decking (preferably something longer than 16 penny and galvanized).

I think what matters most when decking onto stringers or a log is that you don't have more than an inch (or so) of exposed rung hanging beyond the stringer. A lot of people leave more overhanging and that's how they work loose easily when people ride over them. Also, worth noting....we don't nail our supports into live trees.....that's a sure fire way of pissing people off. Anyone that does that is usually just lazy. :rolleyes:

Cheers,
EBX

·
Lets ride
129 Posts
Looks great guys

I can wait to fall in that wetlands area... few more months of school and I'll be back to a normal schedule. Good work.

ebxtreme said:
With the recent windstorms in the PNW, we've got an abundance of blowdown. Well, we've got a good sized project that our crew has been working on for a couple of months now and with some of that blowdown, we're making lemonade out of the lemons that mother nature has given us. ;)

Saturday, we had FM, Slayer Rulz, EIO, Largextracheese, my wife (aka, CBX), [email protected] and myself working on some new stringers for a log ride / ladder section across a bog/creek we needed to navigate to bring the 2 halves of the project together. We were out there for 6 hours and got it totally dialed, but the light was waning as we left and we didn't get any good "finished" pics. A few guys made it out yesterday and put cedar rungs almost the entire way down the log ride before running out of light again. Slayer Rulz christened this sumbich before we left on Saturday though. :thumbsup:

A few shots of the project.....
1. Me and Armando hauling cedar in (leftover from another project)
2. EIO navigating the beginning of the log ride
3. Freshly cut stringers mounted.
4. FM and Armando splitting some cedar (definitely not OSHA certified).......gotta love that smell!
5. Armando cutting the long stringer and FM topping the log ride with a pulaski.

Cheers,
EBX

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
bog-one said:
I can wait to fall in that wetlands area... few more months of school and I'll be back to a normal schedule. Good work.
LB, I see how you are.....school will be out just in time for this to be buff and ready to rock. You sly dog, you! ;)

EIO and Jubilee both contend they're going to be the first ones to fall into the bog. I don't care who it is as long as I get to witness it. Regardless, they're gonna look like FM after he fell into the super thick mud on CBC. :D :D

EB

·
~~~~~~~~
5,937 Posts
very nice, can't wait to see more and ride it.
now I'm going to have to post our photos from the weekend, driest in weeks, minimal building, lots of riding :thumbsup: .
did FM and XLcheese argue the whole time? :lol: .

·
El Malo
549 Posts
ebxtreme said:
Nah, those dudes get along great in person. LXC just likes to give everyone shite about their bikes.....you should see how much grief he gives Armando (who owns 2 Dares)!! :p :p

EB
Indeed, good camaraderie here... guess we're all just a buncha holes in the rubber, after all... :ihih:

The punchline in EBX's comment is that LXC, aka Mr. Pot, is calling the Kettle Black... oh, and yes, there is a pun intended here too.

Anyway, work on the trail's coming along very well. It's great to have people pumped to help out.
It's not easy to load up neary 100lbs of Cedar and supplies on your pack, haul it up-trail to the work site like a sherpa and expect others to follow, but the support here is awesome. Lot of it thx to EBX's drive.
I think the work this winter is a good pilot project. Now I hope we can move those efforts into sustainable Freeride trails, right EBX?:thumbsup:

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quick Update

So, we've made some progress on the log ride that spans the bog this week. Jubilee and I made it out today (Armando was out there in the AM) and we got everything totally dialed. More cedar was carried or split and rungs were installed. We also put 3 additional supports for the the stringers. This biotch is good to go.

A few more pics to add to this thread.

Cheers,
EBX

1. Jubilee replacing a few suspect rungs on the exit ramp.
2. Jubilee came packing with a growler of Manny's Pale Ale! :thumbsup:
3. Entrance looking down.
4. Exit ramp out to dry ground.
5. Looking up from the exit ramp.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.