Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I've already built a set for my stumpy with the dt 350 /arch combo and I freaking love these wheels. Now
When I ride my ss Raleigh I notice the lack of engagement and flexy in the wheels. I'm looking to build a set for it with the arch rims. But I can't decide if I should stay with the 350
Hubs or pony up the extra cash for the 240s. I just want any opinions on if the 240s are worth the extra cash. Ck and i9s are not in the budget before these are suggested. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,887 Posts
The 240s hubs are nice and light. The 350 is nice, and a little heavier. Same great star ratchet freehub mechanism. If you have plenty of budget, and want to say my wheelset only weighs xxx, then the 240s hubs may be for you. If you want pretty much the same thing, but can stomach the little bit of extra weight, and would rather put the money into good spokes or something else, then the 350 is a great hub. I have a set of each and can tell no difference in the ride quality and frankly can't say I notice the extra weight (it's in the center of the wheel where you'll theoretically feel it the least).

If you've got the money, and an open mind, I'd consider getting the 350 hubs, and putting the money saved into some Light Bicycle Wide AM carbon rims. A set of 6-bolt disc 240s hubs is 87g lighter than a set of 6-bolt 350 hubs. A set of the LB Wide AM rims is 140g lighter than Stans Arch Ex rims, and the weight savings comes at the outer part of the wheel.

Just thinking out loud with someone else's money . . . . :~)

·
Formerly of Kent
12,334 Posts
I have 4 sets of 240s, but I agree with the above poster.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks jeffj that's the info I was wanting. I'm not sure if my 210 lbs arse is ready to try out carbon rims yet. But it's a thought.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
I have/had both. The 350 hub has better flanges. I do like the pre-ride parking lot ego stroke of the 240 series, though.

·
mtbpete
1,304 Posts
240's are as much as King's and more than I9's, so DT 350's are much less expensive that the others. The bearing quality is one of the big differences, but the 350 bearings are good enough for most riders.

Regardless of whether you do the 350's or 240's purchase the 36 tooth ratchet ring to double your engagement points.

·
Banned
7,930 Posts
The 36 tooth ratchet has in the past been problematic with chipping teeth and breaking ratchets. It's also a hell of a lot more maintenance more frequently with the 36 tooth engagement, with tear downs and re lubes to keep them operating quietly, as they are designed to do. If your DT Swiss ratchets are loud, it's due to neglect in keeping them properly greaseds and lubed. The ratchets slide in and out of the carrier and the hub 2x as often with 36 tooth ratchets versus the stock 18. Therefore they need to be maintained and regreased twice as frequently as the 18 tooth star ratchets. You can't have it both ways. Personally, I hate my 36 tooth ratchets, not worth the slight performance increase for the noise, and the engagement is not as deep as on the stock 18 tooth ratchets, the ramps kinda suck on them for engagement.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Super sleeper that's the main thing I wanted to hear. I'm currently getting the 36 ratchet upgrade done on my first set of 350s. And will see just how durable that is underneath me.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I ride 240s, but I wouldn't buy them for retail these days. The last rear I got for $175 because of a fluky special. If I was building a new set I would use I-9 rear (321 is the same) or if I got a deal 240s or 350s in that order. The 240s and i-9s will allow easy switching to through axles, which is a huge positive in my mind.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Alright guys and gals here's a update. Instead of Having a new set built I found a lightly used set built around I9s laced to Stan's arch rims. For a great deal. And as a bonus it's a single speed rear hub since this is for my ss all the better. I was just days from walking into my LBS and having them order and build me a set with 350 hubs and arch rims. Now to some new tires and the
End caps for
Though axle conversion. Thanks again for all the input.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts