Votes: 3 7.3%
  • beamshots

Votes: 2 4.9%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Randomhead
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what do you think? I have a XR-E (R2?) light pretty much ready to go except I haven't applied the AA to glue the star down. Trying to decide if it's worth it or not. Most valuable part is the Maxflex, and I can always retrieve that. Making a new housing is no big deal.

·
Registered
778 Posts
unterhausen said:
what do you think? I have a XR-E (R2?) light pretty much ready to go except I haven't applied the AA to glue the star down. Trying to decide if it's worth it or not. Most valuable part is the Maxflex, and I can always retrieve that. Making a new housing is no big deal.
Nothing wrong with that. R2 is still a very high bin. R5 really isn't all that much brighter, especially not with the way we perceive light. Also, if you look at it in terms of output vs. cost, there really isn't much justification for new emitters. Use what you've got!

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Go for it! I just used an XRE with a couple of XPG's to increase the throw of the light and it worked fantastic... Like someone else said... the XRE is a little brighter and can handle more current than the XPE, and much better optics are available and you can focus the beam better than an XPG

·
Lets RIDE!
1,548 Posts
I'll add my y 2¢: Q5 is fine too. Just a few % less than R2.

The fabulous state-of-the-art creations here are great, but have skewed people's idea of what's needed. If your light is going to provide enough light to happily ride by, it's good, no matter what emitters are in it.

I run ~1000 lumens between bars and hat, all from Q5. No one I ride with has more, many have much less, half are using halogen. Everyone is smiling :)

Build up that R2 and lets see photos and beamshots :thumbsup:

You'll be building something bigger eventually anyway ;)

JZ

·
Registered
766 Posts
Jim
"You'll be building something bigger eventually anyway"

If that aint the truth I dont what is.

This is how goes for many of us now....
build up a new light
ride with it
like it
decide it can be improved
build a new light
sell previous one
repeat

·
Registered
504 Posts
My first light is a Q5 + an R2 on a 350mA boost driver; the R2 actually has a yellowish tint; the Q5 a whitish. They are both classed as cool white tints. The yellow tint is from the led, not the optic.

What I'm saying is it still makes a very good helmet light regardless of classification.
I use the R2 (5 deg optic) aimed inside the Q5 (10 optic) and the yellow is hardly noticeable off-road. I prefer it over an Ayup headset I used recently.

So.....build it.

·
Registered
177 Posts
ditto all the other comments. An R2 is probably 30% less efficient (lumen per watt) than a XPG but if that XPG spreads the beam by 15% more then you have just lost all that extra light and more. Horses for courses.....

Funny also that I rode home on Friday with just my single R2 headlight and I reckon I could see better than I normally can with my MCE bar light plus the R2! Sure the close up stuff was much dimmer but I could still see what I needed and my night vision wasn't ruined so I could also see 300 yards ahead with the R2 spot. Definitely food for thought there......

Toby

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
go for it. if it's no big deal to make a different housing, just make something with the current one.

I've got like 12x R2's sitting around that I'm going to build into something. probably a few 4x mag-lite mods (for on and off bike)

·
Registered
577 Posts
Old school Q5

Since you asked, my Q5 quad is still one of the best lights I've seen out there. The guys I ride with were impressed and pretty much put orders in for their own sconds after I turned it on. The kicker was realizing 2/3 through the ride it was actually only on low beam. When I told the guys and clicked the switch to put it into hi, we all just laughed as the decent spot with OK spill suddenly bumped up to "that's what I'm talkin' about" helmet mounted joy. :thumbsup:

Build that thing up, you'll get a good light and you'll probably learn something useful, I seem to with each light I build. I agree with many of the others, there are some great options for XREs, yeah, they are a little bigger, but they still work well and all the parts are relatively cheap and easy to find. I was coveting the tiny XPG masterpieces on here for months, and I still do, but then I realized that between my SSC triple on the bars and the quad Q5 on the helmet, I honestly couldn't be happier.

If it works well for you, its a GREAT light.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.