Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am starting a new light very similar to my last one only I want to use LEDs instead of the halogen I have been using. The light will be about the same size as this one,
2.50 wide X 1 tall X 2.75 deep. I want to use the brightest LEDs I can fit, I would like to use the same type of reflector I made for this light, the reflectors will be .75" dia. at the face and I will try several angles until I find the right one. I milled these with a countersinking bit and then polished them to a mirror finish.
Can anyone recomend which LEDs and driver I should be looking for?
I have zero experience with LEDs so any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks! Aaron

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
what sort of a beam are you getting from the reflectors in that light .

As someone who has experimented in making optics for leds and now understands a whole lot more about it than before I tried . it is not that easy .

The most lumens would come down to the MCE / P7 devices , But 20 mm reflectors and optics are not fantastic . it seems that larger is better .

so it would be easier to use R2 leds . now if you are wanting to make and polish your own reflectors then you need to be able to machine a parabola shape as opposed to straight sides and then you need to position the led in exactly the right place . it would be easier to use of the shelf reflectors/ optics .

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It depends on how far I insert the halo bulbs into the reflector, I have both of them at different positions, one gives me a spot the other a flood pattern. I made a parabolic shaped reflector when I was experimenting with sizes, I used two different angled countersink bits to get the shape and sanded them smooth after. When it came time to make the final reflectors I was afraid I would mess up the housing with the extra milling and chickened out. If I can find premade reflectors that will fit inside a .75 dia hole I would be happy to use them!
Any suggestions on reflectors? I want to keep the housing this size.
Thanks! Aaron

One more thing, is there anywhere I can order parts and have them arrive in Northern Ca in the next ten days or so? Thanks!

·
Registered
318 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I can vouch for the R2's. Just fitted them in my new light and they are really good. I'm running 3 of them with Ledil LC1 optics. The optics are 20mm diameter.

Can't wait to see your new light...the old one was awesome!! :0

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Those MCEs are expensive! I'm not sure I want to spend that much right now. If I am looking at the correct LEDs at Led Supply they are $35 each. What would be a less expensive alternative? I want to start out with something a little cheaper.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
aaron04 said:
What about a pair of these http://www.ledsupply.com/07007-pwc-08-3.php
Would these put out the lumen's required for a decent light? I dont know which driver to use with them. I have a new 14 volt battery that I plan on using.
Would these work as well as the XPE LEDs you suggested? Thanks!
People have tried. The LEDs are close enough together that they need a single optic and far enough apart that a single optic doesn't focus well. Not so good.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
LED supply has these optics specifically for the Endor star LEDs. http://www.ledsupply.com/db-opml-3-025.php
What do you think of those?
I would like to keep the price down around $50-$60 for the parts, driver, LEDs and optics, I dont know if that is possible for the amount of light I want, heck, I dont even have a reference to the amount of lumen's that are required to get a decent light. I would also like to get started right away but I would like to have the parts in hand before I start cutting, that's why I want to order from someone that can get them to me in the next week or so. Thanks again!

·
aka RossC
936 Posts
Oh baby, I can't wait to see this light!!

I think you are realistically limited to xre R2's/Q5's on a single star, MCE's or P7's. I don't think cutter are shipping the xpe 3 up boards just yet.

You could run 2x MCE in a lower bin such as K (vs M) which will help with the cost a little.

You could run 3x r2's on 17mm stars with smallish <20 mm optics.

I have a feeling that if you use anything other than MCE's you will be slightly disappointed in the output however. The run times of q5/r2's will smash your old lights but the raw output probably won't be a match.

·
mtbr member
890 Posts
Hi aaron, I agree 100% with Ocean, IMHO, your light looks made for a pair of MC-E's. You can get MC-E's cheaper at DealExtreme. I have read however that for throw and puch the P7's is still preferred by some builders (just saying I would not rule them out simply because they are not the latest and greatest). If you keep the same design it will be tough to make it look or work right with multi-led optics and the cost will be the same or more than just using MC-E's or P7's. Whatever you end up with though I am going to be jealous again :cool:

I have no idea about the optics or reflectors though, so maybe you should find them first and work back to the emitters since it seems to the limiting factor.

One further thing to note is that getting parts from DX or Cutter is trying even for the most patient people. In the past I would have recommended Cutter in a heartbeat, but more recently they have been super slow (though they did answer emails). DX usually takes 2-3 weeks but has been longer, and they have issues with showing stuff in stock which is not. You may have better luck once you find what you need, searching for sellers at Candlepowerforums - they seem to be much more responsive in general and will normally show the actual availability in the thread so there are no surprises.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.