Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I purchased a new 2007 Marathon Epic frame and am getting all the parts to build it up how I want it. I have never built a bike before and don't own the expensive special tools needed for certain parts.
Here is what I am building up:

2007 Specialized Epic Marathon Frame
2007 Fox F100X Fork
Chris King Headset
2007 XTR components
2007 XTR Disc Brakes
2007 Crossmax SL wheels
UST Tires

What should I have the LBS do for me and what should I do myself with the basic tools that I own?

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
tools that most people don't have but shops do are the chasing, facing and reaming tools only IF the frame is not prepped before delivery to you (and yours probably will be). Depends on what type of disc brake mounts you are using, facing the disc tabs may also be a shop job. Otherwise, the question beeristasty is asking is valid... If you do have the tools, make sure it includes a torque wrench...

·
enjoying the kool-aid
779 Posts
Well going on that you said you had "basic" tools I'd say this:

have the shop check the headtube and BB and see if facing or chasing the threads is needed.

Have the shop press in your headset and install your race and star nut (unless you have the tools for this).

Do the rest yourself....try to use a torque wrench when you can.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.