Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Trail rider and racer
4,691 Posts
divve said:
Prefer XTR myself. Much easier to brake and shift concurrently. I can't imagine having to miss that. Both manufacturers have very nice stuff however.
That was one thing I feared the most with going to SRAM, that I would not be able to do the regular shift and brake at the same time, but you can, it just takes some adjustment in technique. It may mean taking your finger off the lever for a ever so slight moment, but thus far I have never had issues regarding this.

Agreed on both having nice stuff. Give me a bike with XO and I am happy, give me a bike of XTR and I'm still smiling!

Trevor!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I agree, however, if you have big hands and/or are running disks brakes (less force required to brake), I find that you can shift/brake so long as you use your middle/middle and fourth finger(s) to brake, leaving that opposing thumb and index to shift. Granted you can't throw too many gears this way, but you can get a few on the downshift without too much trouble.

I also like the fact that I can place my palms right on the shifters while cruising or climbing, makes for an nice easy grip in the bars.

Never had a problem with 'accidental' shifting even while hanging on in the roughest of stuff.

Have been using grip shift for 7 years now, never going back to trigger/thumb shifters....

21 - 22 of 22 Posts