Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Weekend Warrior
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been contemplating buying a new bike for a while but am not sure what is right for me. I do some XC, I do some urban Free Ride. Right now I do everything with my Hardtail and it works great, especially on small jumps and the technical.

I was looking at the Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, which is great for XC, but I think it will fall apart in the Urban and the Free Rides. The Enduro is great but the cheapest starts at $3300. I was thinking of building my own with an Azonic AM Frame, Domain Fork , buying everything on sale with X9 level components it will come out to around $2400 (Complete Build).

What to do? Is there a better frame that you would recommend? Or should I should cough up the money for an Enduro or something else in that level?

·
Pablo Escobar
84 Posts
I am almost done building a frame I bought and maybe you can use the info. ...or call me stupid.. in any case here is what it cost me so far.

$260... used Santa Cruz VP Free frame ..craigslist...Included cranks, 3 chainring, Azonic Outlaw rear wheel, 5th element shock
$270... rebuilt 2004 Marzocchi 888 fork ...a nice gentleman from mtbr
$215...XTR shifter/brake lever set w/ cables....ebay
$129...XTR rear derailleur ... ebay
$0...... used XT front derailleur .... had extra
$35....XTR chain ...ebay
$23 ...XTR brake cable set.....ebay
$149 ... BB7 mech. disc brakes with 203mm rotors......pricepoint
$105 ... Chris King headset.....ebay
$17....used Race Face Diabolus stem .... ebay
$55 ...Easton EA70 handlebar...Pricepoint
$18 . Oury lock-on grips w/clamps....Pricepoint
$33... pedals....LBS
$ 0 ..used seatpost, used WTB seat, used QR seatclamp
$120 ..front wheel..... LBS
$55 ...front tire specialized the captain .... LBS
$ 0.... rear tire and used Specialized

$ 1484... Total

It will be ready Tuesday.
I could have bought a brand new FSR for that at the LBS...but too late now and I cant wait to ride it..

A before photo..

Attachments

·
Registered
354 Posts
price point has the sette brand AM bike that is low priced too. really depends how much you want to spend. there are other brands then specialized that I would look at more
giant reign
trek remedy
kona dawg or coiler
transtion covert

·
Weekend Warrior
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I looked at the Remedy 6 and it looks weird to say the least, but I can't find any satisfied customers! My LBS has one for sale for $1500, which I think is a deal. I really like the Azonic Avenger Frame, but don't have a LBS to test it out or inspect it closer.

I like your setup Azufa. I want to stay at around $2500 or less if possible. The remedy is heavy at 33+lbs but at $1000 off MSRP, I have enough money left to swap out the brakes and the wheels.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Does the Remedy 6 have the old Trek setup? If so, I wouldn't go for it. The bikes with their ABP and Full Floater are newer and better.

·
Registered
11 Posts
be cautious with Shimano (and actually, any brands) on Ebay from those sellers based out in Asia...I know counterfeiting is crazy out there, and it wouldn't take much to make some parts that resemble XTR...

good luck on your bike build-up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts