Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all,

I'm building my first SS MTB. I already have the frame, but nothing else yet. Here's a list of what I plan to get. Any opinions? (I'm 5'9" and weigh 155lbs)

Frame: 2004 Salsa 16" Juan Solo Singlespeed
Fork: White Brothers XC.8
Headset: Cane Creek S-2
Stem: Salsa Moto Ace S.U.L. 105deg, 90mm
Handle Bar: Easton EA70 High Rise Monkeybar
Grips: Salsa Pepperjack (Black & Red)
Brakes: Avid Mechanical Disc 160mm (Fr & Rr)
Cranks: Raceface Deus XC X-Type SS 175mm 32t
Bottom Bracket: incl w/ crankset
Chainring: incl w/ crankset
Pedals: ?
Chain: SRAM PC-1 (black)
Freewheel: White Industries Eno Freewheel 18t
Front Hub: Surley New Front 32h (black)
Rear Hub: Surley New Disc 32h (black)
Rims: Mavic XC717 Disc Rims 32h (black)
Spokes: ?
Spoke Nipples: ?
Seatpost: Salsa Shaft 31.6mm x 250mm (black)
Seat: WTB Rocket V Race
Tires: Panaracer Cinder 2.25 (Fr & Rr)

When done, this bike should weigh in at around 21-22lbs. And it should cost about $2100-$2200 (based on prices on speedgoat.com - except for the frame which I got an awsome deal on).

Greg

·
Registered
616 Posts
Go with a stainless chain for your SS. It will be much better in the long run. A lot of people run other sram chains designed for 6 or 7 speed bikes. Seems to work well for them. I use the pc-1 in stainless, have not had any problems yet, so I'm happy with it.

Pedals, I'm all for eggbeaters. But Time ATAC are very popular, i.e. work well.

Build, ride, and repeat the ride. Always repeat the ride.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
MGBYLR,

That does look like a very nice ride - I can't wait till mine's done!

A couple of quick questions for you, is that a 16" frame? What size seatpost (length) did you get? And what angle/length stem are you using with how much rise in the bar?

I'm not exactly sure what angle/length stem to get or how high a rise to get the bars. What I have listed is just my semi-educated guess.

Oh yeah, and what fork are you using?

Greg

MGBYLR said:
Sounds like a sweet bike. I just built up my Juan in March pretty similar to yours. This is what it looks like only it's got a Salsa shaft seatpost now and a Gusset conversion in the rear:

·
Registered
65 Posts
It is the 16" frame. I screwed up when I ordered my seatpost and got one of the shortest sizes available. I have about a 30" inseam and run the seatpost almost on the max line to get it where I like it. My stem is a 5 degree 100mm Thompson with the MonkeyLite high rise bars ( I forget the exact heigh I want to say an inch/inch and a half) It's definitly a sweet ride. My fork is a Surly and combined with the 2.4 inch tire up front and the carbon bars it doesn't feel too bad.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.