Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building my first rig based on a 99 specialized FSR frame.

I'm looking online for all of my parts but i have a few questions I hope someone can help me with.

1. 2 gears in front or 3? if i run 2 gears on the crank must i run 10 gears in the back? What are the advantages/disadvantages of 2/10 VS. 3/9?

2. Do new cranks come with the bearings? For example, if I but a "Sram X7 GXP Crankset 3X9" crank I need to get the "Sram Team GXP English Cupset"? (My frame ony has the threaded hole where the crank should be).

3. "A long cage is for riders who are running a triple-ring up front and the medium cage is for the rider using a double-ring up front." Does this mean that if i am running 3 gears on the crank and 9 on the rear wheel?

4. Will a new SRAM cassette fit onto a new shimano XT rear hub?

Thank you for any help you can give!!

- matt

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
matt,
here is some info that I hope will help...
1) I run a 2x9 only because I never used my big ring. the call is yours though. I'm not sure if you can run a 10 spd rear with a 9 spd crank. I'm not looking forward to moving to a 2x10 unless I'm forced to. Just don't see the reason.
also, 10 speed anything is way more expensive that 9 speed.
2) if the crank set says that it includes the bottom bracket then you are all set. I'm not familiar with the BB size for the bike frame you are building but if it is 68/73, any of the modern 9/10 spd crank sets will work - not press-fit though.
The LX 581's on Jenson are a great value.
3) If you're running a 2 ring crank, you can ride a mid cage or long cage.
4) Sram or Shimano cassette will fit the hub.

Have fun!

·
meow meow
10,622 Posts
1. i like a double, some guys like a triple, your call. and you can use a 9 speed cassette with either.
2. some do some dont. should say in the description.
3. if you run a double you can use a medium cage if you run a triple you need the long cage.
4. yes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.