Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
habitual line-stepper
443 Posts
mullen119 said:
http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/14...ools/Sette-Torx-ST-21-Tool-Kit---21-Tools.htm

This would have everything you need and is one of the best deals out there.
i'm finishing up my third build with that tool set. i toasted the crank puller trying to remove some frozen square-taper cranks from a friends commuter. some extras that i needed were cable cutters and an external bb cup wrench. if you have a basic wrench and socket set, you should be off to a good start. good luck!

·
Registered
29 Posts
mullen119 said:
http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1030354_-1___

This is the one I have. It has the external BB wrench, But it only has plastic tire spoons which I am not a fan of.
Ive had that kit for several years now and everything has held up well. I believe I paid $40 for it on-sale back then. The tire levers are plastic, but I believe they have a metal core since they aren't very flexible (could be wrong tho).

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
those tool kits look great but those are all the tools i need to build a bike? i thought i would be spending alot of money on tools. what kind of things should i have my lbs mechanic do instead of myself?

·
Registered
149 Posts
I've put together at least my last 6 bikes using a pretty basic tool kit that I got on ebay for around 50 bucks. The most important tool for me is a good cable cutter. Nothing is more annoying to me than burred housing and frayed cables. You may want to have your LBS face and press your headset and face the brake mounts as well as chase and face the BB. This is not always necessary and many people get by without doing it. I have pressed many headsets by using a bench vice and on occasion have not had the frame prepped. I now tend to have the frame prepped to be on the safe side. In addition to the tools make sure to get grease and use it on the headset and bb to avoid squeaks and creaks developing after a few rides. If you are using hydraulic brakes familiarize yourself with the bleeding procedure and have a bleed kit as part of your toolkit. Having some spare fluid plusbrass olives and or seals for your brakes is a good idea too just incase you damage something when shortening \ installing the lines.

Oh yeah. Park Tools website is your friend.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
erringtonnc said:
I've put together at least my last 6 bikes using a pretty basic tool kit that I got on ebay for around 50 bucks. The most important tool for me is a good cable cutter. Nothing is more annoying to me than burred housing and frayed cables. You may want to have your LBS face and press your headset and face the brake mounts as well as chase and face the BB. This is not always necessary and many people get by without doing it. I have pressed many headsets by using a bench vice and on occasion have not had the frame prepped. I now tend to have the frame prepped to be on the safe side. In addition to the tools make sure to get grease and use it on the headset and bb to avoid squeaks and creaks developing after a few rides. If you are using hydraulic brakes familiarize yourself with the bleeding procedure and have a bleed kit as part of your toolkit. Having some spare fluid plusbrass olives and or seals for your brakes is a good idea too just incase you damage something when shortening \ installing the lines.

Oh yeah. Park Tools website is your friend.
i plan on using park tools for advice but also you guys because i will be building this step by step.

·
Registered
235 Posts
If your handy, and already have a bunch of mechanic type tools. You really don't need much. I just did a frame swap along with going from a internal to external bottom bracket crankset and the only special tools I used where a crank puller and a chain breaker. Everything else came out of my normal tool box.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Eville140 said:
If your handy, and already have a bunch of mechanic type tools. You really don't need much. I just did a frame swap along with going from a internal to external bottom bracket crankset and the only special tools I used where a crank puller and a chain breaker. Everything else came out of my normal tool box.
i have a big socket wrench set with allen keys, screw drivers, and wrenches. i'm not sure what else i would need.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.