Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I pulled the trigger after demoing a bronson last week. I'm 6'9", 220, currently on a stumpy fs 29er xxl. I like it but want a more playful bike. The stumpy is a cadillac...great for fast flowy singletrack, but not exactly "flickable" or super fun in the rough. Anyway, Building a bronson carbon with pike, raceface next sl crank, xo1 drivetrain, xtr trail/icetech 180 brakes, havoc carbon handle on a 55mm stem, enve am wheels with mavic high rollers, predator platforms and a reverb 150 post. This is my first high end bike, and I'm pretty stoked to get it all set up and on trail, but am also now more concerned with theft prevention while on the truck's bike rack.

So, any good real world recommendations for locks to secure the frame and wheelset while traveling? Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I think your best bet would be a locking cap with darkened windows so no one can even see you have a bike in the bed of the truck. That would also protect it from the elements and any salt spray or gravel being kicked up from vehicles in front of you, and keep it out of the way of anyone who might rear-end you.

Maybe run a cable lock through the frame and wheels and lock it to a cargo tie down if you want to go belt and suspenders.

But ultimately try to remember that you're spending a ton of money on a fantastic bike so that you can enjoy it, not so that you can lose sleep worrying over what might happen to it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Balto. I appreciate your response. Unfortunately, I'm stuck with a hitch mount carrier. I have a four wheel camper in the bed, and the dogs live in it on road trips, so no room for the bike inside the camper when they're in tow. After some research, I think I'll probably do a quality Ulock for back tire to frame, and tempered chain through both wheels/frame/truck hitch just to give it a look of redundancy. If a real bike thief really wants it, he'll still get it, but the thief of opportunity should be thwarted. Just wanted to see if there were any other good suggestions I hadn't thought of yet.

·
DFL
1,398 Posts
When I have to lock my bike on my 1Up, I have a thick 10' long cable that I run around the frame and wheels with a ulock attached to the safety chain loop of the hitch. I wouldn't leave it out overnight in Chicago, but it works for quick stops for food, etc.

Sent from my iPad while drinking the kool aid.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
D locks are the best, followed by some of the high security chains. Cables are of little use beyond a quick stop.
That bike must look tiny under you!

·
Large and In Charge
36 Posts
That sounds like a sweet setup, I'm waiting on my first high end setup, Pivot Mach 6, to come in (and waiting, and waiting). I've even tossed around the idea of switching for a Bronson if I can get it sooner. Let us know how the Pike, Enve, etc. work for a Clyde! I drive a pickup without a shell, and I'm thinking of upgrading my security with this new rig. I found there are rubber coated chains. I may use that and a pad lock through the tie downs in the bed. The problem is those tie downs could be removed with a big torx bit on a drill really fast, but then again, I'm not going to leave it out overnight in the city, but maybe while having lunch somewhere on my way home from Fruita or something.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts