Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
BODYSNATCHER
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building my Burner, and hope to have it ready by next week. I wonder, what are you people specing them at? I bought a Sherman firefly on e-bay( gulp) and hope it's the right fork for me. I have a lot of questions since I've never built a bike like this before. I have heavily researched componenets, and the frame was a decision made after (literally) 3 months of painstaking internet/bike shop/testriding. I finally decided on a build kit from pricepoint.com- the '03 XT build kit,with a King threadless headset (of course using MTBR as the source of the link- thanx to this very informative board!!). I realize every one has a different opinion on components, but I was looking for input on the choices you people made. If I sound slightly naive, it's because I am! Please refrain from mocking me... :) the latest Turner convert-
MR MAGU
TIA

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Umm... isn't the firefly a 5" fork? They are very highly rated and I am extremely impressed with Manitou's recent offerings, but for instance the Minute @ 130mm on my XCE is a bit of a bummer when climbing. I pretty much have to wind it down or it gets floppy up front. I sorta doubt the firefly is going to match the Burner very well, since it calls for a 4" fork. The wind-down travel adjust like on the Minute is great since the spring rate does not change, but on the firefly I think it just has a lock-down which compresses the spring. That means when riding it in 4" mode, the fork is very stiff initially. I am not totally up on Manitous latest offerings so I may be mixed up here. Perhaps describe the fork for us.

Post up any questions. It ain't rocket science. Go slow and we'll be happy to help you if you get stuck.

·
|i|
352 Posts
I recently posted this, but you may not have seen it:
Fox vanilla R at 100mm
Thomson 100mm stem/ 330mm post, Easton Monkeylite riser 1.25 inches, 20mm spacer (5'9" on a M frame)
King headset
King ISO hubs to DT 4.1d rims, comp spokes, Salsa skewers
RaceFace Turbine cranks, XT 8 spd drivetrain
Avid levers and discs.
Crank Bros Candy SL
Titec Ithys Amore saddle
Kenda BG/Nevegal 2.35

Be sure to note that the frame is disc only.

I had the luxury of collecting components on my old bike over a period of years, which made the transition painless. I went with the advice of this board and cut down the travel of my fork to 100mm -- it was the right decision, the bike feels tight.

Have fun, it's the best bike I've ridden.

mr magu said:
I'm building my Burner, and hope to have it ready by next week. I wonder, what are you people specing them at? I bought a Sherman firefly on e-bay( gulp) and hope it's the right fork for me. I have a lot of questions since I've never built a bike like this before. I have heavily researched componenets, and the frame was a decision made after (literally) 3 months of painstaking internet/bike shop/testriding. I finally decided on a build kit from pricepoint.com- the '03 XT build kit,with a King threadless headset (of course using MTBR as the source of the link- thanx to this very informative board!!). I realize every one has a different opinion on components, but I was looking for input on the choices you people made. If I sound slightly naive, it's because I am! Please refrain from mocking me... :) the latest Turner convert-
MR MAGU
TIA

·
Registered
265 Posts
Hey Magu, Larry @ Mountain High Cyclery (give him a buzz if you're in need of parts; I think that just about everybody here will agree that he offers great value as well as exceptional service) is bulding up a burner for me with the following bits:

Fox Float 100RLC
Chris King Threadless Headset
Thomson Stem
Titec Hellbent XC Riser Handlebar
SRAM X9 Rocket Trigger Shifters
Avid Juicy 7 Disc Brakes
Race Face Deus Cranks
Time ATAC XS Carbon Pedals
SRAM PG-990 Cassette
SRAM PC-69 Chain
Wheels w/Chris King hubs and DT Swiss 4.1d rims
2.35 Tires (Front: Kenda Blue Groove; Rear: Kenda Nevagel)
Thomson 410mm Seatpost
WTB Laser V Stealth Saddle
XT Front Derailleur
SRAM X9 Rear Derailleur

Also, do a quick search for "burner" on the turner forum and you be able to see what others have done in terms of parts. Take care.

·
Registered
419 Posts
2004 Burner

Fox 100mm Float R fork
Pushed Float AVA R rear shock
King Headset (the only way to go)
Easton low riser bar and seatpost (hb is great, seatpost light, but doesn't clamp the seat well and creaks a little, I'd probably go Thompson next time)
Easton 120mm stem (very stiff, cheap)
XT cranks, BB, chain, front der, shifters/levers (can't go wrong)
XTR rear der.
XTR 12-34 cassette (The 34 tooth is really nice, allows me to do everything in the middle ring)
XT rear V-brakes with ceramic pads (works fine, modulates better than a disk)
Avid 180mm mechanical front disk. (if you are over 180lbs, the 180mm disk is nice. I like the Avid mechanical because it's very adjustable and work with my integrated shifters/levers)
Spinergy Xyclone front disk wheel (damps vibration a little and very light)
King/Bontrager ceramic rear wheel (I built the wheel with too-thin spokes, so it' needs a rebuild, but the King hub is indestructable)
Giro saddle
For tires, I'm running the 2.4" WTB NanoRaptors. They are about the same weight as a 2.1 tire, but offer the larger size that I need (210lbs). So far I am very happy with these tires.

Overall it's pretty light (probably 26.5 or so) and setup for XC. The Pushed Fox is a very nice upgrade, and the bike climbs like crazy now.

·
MTBR Tool
831 Posts
Here's my build:

Here's my build. About 1/3 from a 2000 NRS that developed a life-threatening crack after a large rock impact.

- best bike I have ever owned.

Shifters: Deore LX Mega from NRS 244g
Disk Brakes: Hayes from NRS 932g
Grips: Aireon Supergo 75g
Handlebar: Easton Monkey Lite SL Carbon Supergo 135g
Stem: Forte 115mm Performance 152g
Headset: RaceFace Deus Supergo 104g
Cables: Gore Ride-on, generic Supergo Misc 100g

Frame: Turner Burner 04 M w/Manitou Swinger SPV 3Supergo 2567g

Fork: Noleen Mega Air 100mm Ebay 1389g

Crankset: Deore XT Hollowtech m760 w/BB Supergo 865g
Fr Derailleur: Deore LX m752 Nashbar 137g