Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
El Bastardo to be exact...

I have some questions for you more knowledgeable (on the subject of Bastards) folks:

What is the best shock to get? Dealer seems to think x-fusion will be as good as a WB...I am a heavy rider (220) but reasonably fit...if that helps...

I also wonder what a good, reasonably priced 650b wheelset would be, or should I just have them build me a wheelset?

Any ideas? Bueller?

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Welcome to the club! I've had my 16" Bastardo for almost a year and it's a great bike. Even better now that the suspension's all broken in and everything's working smoothly.

Those are both good shocks. The WB is spendier, U.S. made, the X-fusion is a budget choice. I don't think you could go wrong with either one.

Re. wheels, I prefer hand built so if that's an option for you, I'd go that route. Though I understand the American Classics are pretty nice. (I think they're the only pre-made wheel option in this size, actually.) Re rims, I'd recommend against the Blunts, at least in silver. I've put a couple of pretty good rock dents in my back one and I'm only 150 pounds. I don't know if they're a softer aluminium or what, but I haven't had this problem with any other rim I've ever owned.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Almost a year here too, and still loving mine! Not sure it's for you, but how about a 3rd option? Lefty. I put a 140 Max on mine and it's been a great match. I'm using the Project 321 adaptor, and also got wheels from them. The Lefty also keeps the weight pretty reasonable, tad over 28 pounds as pictured. I have some new XTR Trail brakes to put on when I get around to it.

Attachments

·
Ultra Ventanaphile
3,346 Posts
White Bros = $$$ and more maintanence, I played Mechanic for a few Ventana Demo days and the WB forks were BY FAR the most maintanence intensive fork, mostly dry seal and stiction. (Lots).
X-Fusion - Simple simon, but works, Nothing fancy but works..Slightly heavier, but works...
Get the picture? :D

I don't own a Bastardo, instead I had Sherwood build me a full custom Chiquo (Chiquillo) that I run 650B, and I put my $$$ where my mouth is, and bought an X-Fusion.

Wheels, I had Chad at Red Barn Bikes build me a set of no nonsense wheels, Xt hubs, XD-Lite Rims from Alex. Not the lightest but bombproof. He was impressed how easy they were to lace up straight and even and I have been blown away by NEVER having to retouch them in the 2 yrs I've had them. Nice tight fit with NeoMoto's, and Nevagals so no tire blow off issues like some have had with blunts and yet, I don't need moto sticks to put the tires on. Excellent, excellent underrated rims.

OLE!

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
The Lefty is an interesting option--I'd have considered it pretty seriously if I hadn't gotten a good deal on the White Bros when I bought the frame. It works great--the stiction when it was new went away quickly and it's not given me any trouble. But, it does have a reputation as a higher maintenance fork. It is also American made and the customer support is supposedly top notch. (haven't needed it yet, knock wood!) I believe W/B has released or will soon, a new line of forks that will hopefully address the shortcomings of their previous designs...

Here's a pic of my Bastardo:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.