Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, I've finished building my Sinister DNA (pretty much [still needs fork]) but I want to be sure that I'll have a nice long travel trail bike in time for the spring, which means that I need to get started building it. Since I'm sick and the trails are pretty rained out, now is a good time for me to put some effort into it. The only things I haven't figured out yet are the frame and fork.

Frame options:
Santa Cruz Nomad [1 vote]
Intense 6-6
Turner 6 pack
Specialized Enduro [4 vote]
Maybe something else?
Sinister Splinter MX [1 vote]

Fork options:
Fox 36 talas (color sucks but I'm more worried about the travel being plush)
Fox 36 van [1 vote] (sick and plush but will I regret this on the climbs?)
Marz 66SL [1 vote] (light, long, marz plush, but how practical for reducing travel on a climb?)
Marz 66 light ETA (I dunno...)
Marz Z1 light ETA [2 vote] (anyone on one of these?)

To give some background info, I weight 140, I'm 5'7" and I'm moving to Switzerland in less than 2 weeks. This bike needs to be ok for pedaling up the hills, not great but I also plan on spending a lot of time using gondolas and lifts to do the climbing for me. I'm only willing to sacrifice a little DH ability for climbing ability, my emphasis is always on ripping. I'm leaning towards the Nomad for a frame and I'm not sure when it comes to the fork, I love how plush marz forks are, but maybe a fox can be just as plush? Any recommendations?

·
rollin
2,646 Posts
RobsterCraw said:
Frame options:
Santa Cruz Nomad
Intense 6-6
Turner 6 pack
Specialized Enduro
Maybe something else?

Fork options:
Fox 36 talas (color sucks but I'm more worried about the travel being plush)
Fox 36 van (sick and plush but will I regret this on the climbs?)
Marz 66SL (light, long, marz plush, but how practical for reducing travel on a climb?)
Marz 66 light ETA (I dunno...)
Marz Z1 light ETA (anyone on one of these?)

... I'm moving to Switzerland in less than 2 weeks.
damn, anyone of those frame/fork combo's would be sweet for your intended use.

how long you gonna be in switzerland for?

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
sriracha said:
how long you gonna be in switzerland for?
about 3 years
CoilAir looks nice, I don't need a Coiler, I already ride a Bullit.

Marzocchi is indeed my favorite fork brand, I wonder if it would be cheaper to buy them in Europe? Actually thats another question. Should I buy this bike in the US and have it shipped to me, or should I buy it over in Europe? I'm sure someone knows.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sriracha said:
oh man, you are stoked!

so, are you bringing a quiver of bikes with you, or just one do-all bike?
At first, I'm only bringing my Sinister DNA. And then I want to get this bike as my "do-it-all." After I've had a while to scope thing out over there, I'll try to bring my DH bike out too, depending on the viability. I want to bring my urban bike so I can session the streets and use it to get from place to place.

·
rollin
2,646 Posts
RobsterCraw said:
At first, I'm only bringing my Sinister DNA. And then I want to get this bike as my "do-it-all."
i have a 5" enduro and a vpfree:
my feeling is that horst-link is a little smoother on small bumps, but vpp pedals way better and is faster over the big bumps because of it's rearward travel. it's a toss up really, they both feel great. i think it comes down to fit of the bike and handling.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I just finished building up this RM Switch SL. The Fox Float RP3 shock has really amazing pedalling adjustments and my Z1 FR1 feels awesome like any marzocchi. Here's the specs

Frame: 05 RM Switch SL (6")
Shock: Fox Float RP3
Fork: 05 Marz Z1 FR1 ETA
RIMS: Sun MTX (shoulda went tubeless)
Hubs (f/r): Marz./ Hadley
Tires: Maxxis Holy Rollers
Stem, Seatpost: Race Face Diabolus
Shifters, Cassette, Derailleur : X9,
Chain: PC99 Hollowpin
Seat: Funn Full thottle
Cranks: Race Face Evolve Dh with external BB
pedals: Azonic Xtension
bars: Azonic Worldforce
grips: lizard skin logo lockons
barends: eNVy
chainguide: e13 DRS
brakes: 8" Avid BB7's.

Total weights: 34.4lbs. It pedals great with the ETA on the front and propedal adjustment on the back plus the Holy Rollers are fast and light.

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
My Nomad (when it eventually gets here) is gonna have the Van 36 that's on the front of my Bullit. The Bullit will then have a 66SL. I'm not loyal to any specific brand of fork, but I like the Van 36 because it's extemely stout, plush, great damping, and light. Travel reduction has never been an issue for me, and the Van 36 will work quite well on a light, 6.5" bike like the Nomad for climbing or just about anything else. The Van 36 makes an awesome big hit trail bike fork and easily allows some jumps and drops. The 36 Talas sounds good on paper, but they don't seem to deliver on all of their travel. The Van 36 gets all of its 6.3". I believe the 66SL will make a better Bullit fork with the longer travel amount. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
TNC said:
My Nomad (when it eventually gets here) is gonna have the Van 36 that's on the front of my Bullit. The Bullit will then have a 66SL. I'm not loyal to any specific brand of fork, but I like the Van 36 because it's extemely stout, plush, great damping, and light. Travel reduction has never been an issue for me, and the Van 36 will work quite well on a light, 6.5" bike like the Nomad for climbing or just about anything else. The Van 36 makes an awesome big hit trail bike fork and easily allows some jumps and drops. The 36 Talas sounds good on paper, but they don't seem to deliver on all of their travel. The Van 36 gets all of its 6.3". I believe the 66SL will make a better Bullit fork with the longer travel amount. Just my 2 cents.
Im glad for you TNC, this is good news! Not to mention old guy's like us need plush suspension that pedals great-makes it easier on our tired legs trying to keep up with the young pups on their 40 pound bikes! LOL's

I couldnt hold out any longer waiting on SC to deliver the small Nomads so I ordered a small 6.6. I just hope that I can hang with the tighter geometry. I will be using a Fox Van36RC2 fork, Industry 9 Enduro wheelset and I hope to try some new Formula Oro Puro brakes. The bike will probably end up at around 32 pounds. I might try a Cane Creek DB rear coil shock too for the DH/FR days.

I have had some good times on the Turner 6 Pack-soon to be the newly reconfigured RFX. I really liked that bike and have no doupt that if anyone wanted some advice buying one I sure wouldnt have any problems recommending one. I have never ridden a Nomad, I do like the sound of the slacker numbers on the frame, this bike should rip on fast DH runs with small drops or trail obsticles. Im hoping that my new 6.6 will do the same, Im sure looking forward to a long travel light weight bike again. My friend just got one and built up last week, only one ride but he does like it and thinks that he can get used to the more nimble, fast handling bike. His last bike was a 40-44 pound Bullit. Topped off with a DC Shiver and some real heavy 2.5-2.7 Minions on it. Most of my bikes have hovered around 33-36 pounds. I really like the Fox 36 forks, atleast the Van. Super smooth and lightweight. Nothing wrong with the Marzocchis though. I would have no worries or doupts if I had a 66 hanging on the front. A 66RX2 or a 66SL would be a great fork for any of those frames you have listed. I dont think you can go wrong with any of those frames and fork combo's. I havent yet heard anyone complaining about the geometry of the 6.6 as a All Mountain bike. But the 66 line for forks will definetely slack things out a bit.

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
6.6 looks good.

drumstix said:
Im glad for you TNC, this is good news! Not to mention old guy's like us need plush suspension that pedals great-makes it easier on our tired legs trying to keep up with the young pups on their 40 pound bikes! LOL's

I couldnt hold out any longer waiting on SC to deliver the small Nomads so I ordered a small 6.6. I just hope that I can hang with the tighter geometry. I will be using a Fox Van36RC2 fork, Industry 9 Enduro wheelset and I hope to try some new Formula Oro Puro brakes. The bike will probably end up at around 32 pounds. I might try a Cane Creek DB rear coil shock too for the DH/FR days.

I have had some good times on the Turner 6 Pack-soon to be the newly reconfigured RFX. I really liked that bike and have no doupt that if anyone wanted some advice buying one I sure wouldnt have any problems recommending one. I have never ridden a Nomad, I do like the sound of the slacker numbers on the frame, this bike should rip on fast DH runs with small drops or trail obsticles. Im hoping that my new 6.6 will do the same, Im sure looking forward to a long travel light weight bike again. My friend just got one and built up last week, only one ride but he does like it and thinks that he can get used to the more nimble, fast handling bike. His last bike was a 40-44 pound Bullit. Topped off with a DC Shiver and some real heavy 2.5-2.7 Minions on it. Most of my bikes have hovered around 33-36 pounds. I really like the Fox 36 forks, atleast the Van. Super smooth and lightweight. Nothing wrong with the Marzocchis though. I would have no worries or doupts if I had a 66 hanging on the front. A 66RX2 or a 66SL would be a great fork for any of those frames you have listed. I dont think you can go wrong with any of those frames and fork combo's. I havent yet heard anyone complaining about the geometry of the 6.6 as a All Mountain bike. But the 66 line for forks will definetely slack things out a bit.
I have to admit I looked at a 6.6, and Intense will let a non-dealer shop order one if there is no reasonably located dealership in the area. I decided to stay with the Nomad because of those geometry numbers, and the fact that we're a dealer and I've had such good performance and service from the 3 SC bikes I've owned. The 6.6 looks awfully good to me, and I doubt you'll have any regrets. As to your mention of age, it's kind of funny. Lately I've done more dropping and jumping than ever before...not Wade Simmons level obviously. I'm either getting better or looking forward to a full body cast...LOL!

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
airwreck said:
looking forward to hearing how it compares to the 36van.
I dont know the numbers yet on the 66 SL forks but I did throw a 66 Light ETA fork on the digi fish scale that I got for one of my customers and the fork weighed a whopping 6.11 pounds with an uncut steertube. My uncut Fox Van36 RC2 weighed 5.9 pounds. I have yet to hear back any impressions on the ride.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
drumstix said:
I dont know the numbers yet on the 66 SL forks but I did throw a 66 Light ETA fork on the digi fish scale that I got for one of my customers and the fork weighed a whopping 6.11 pounds with an uncut steertube. My uncut Fox Van36 RC2 weighed 5.9 pounds. I have yet to hear back any impressions on the ride.
6.11lbs compared to 5.9lbs?!?! Thats no difference at all. Hm, if the geometry works out, a 66 Light ETA would be sick.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
yep and if you go tubeless and save the pound....a pound of rolling weight is like 3 to 5 pounds on the bike
Oh, please. You know I was gonna go tubeless from the get go. You convinced me to convert to the UST cult over a year ago and I'm never going back. Definitely going with some EX823s, or Xm819s for sure. Haven't looked into tires yet. Any recommendation for light yet capable UST tires?

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.