Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to build lights for my motorcycles, the Halogen lighting sucks and HID options are... less than ideal.

I have a supermotard (Husqvarna SMR510) with a single rectangular light, and a street bike (Triumph Street Triple R) with dual round housings.

We can get shitloads of lumens (multiple MC-Es) so there's no problem there
Battery is not an issue as these things have charging systems
Cooling isnt too much an issue as they're generally moving quickly.

I'm assuming optics will be an issue. I would like both to be high and low beam.

Housings for the street bike need to be "pretty", whereas for the supermoto they can be more rugged looking.

Suggestions/Ideas/Problems that you forsee are all welcome!

·
Registered
169 Posts
I agree with using HID. It's what I'm doing. It works wonders. The light per dollar spent is much better with HID. Depending on the exact setup of the bike either a 35 watt or 55 watt might be best. The 55's are overdriven on the light element so the lifetime is not as high. Also the light per watt is not quite as good. I'm running the 35's.

For both low and high beam the best option is one of the bulbs with two HID burners. One for high and one for low. As far as I'm concerned the ones with a moving burner or a halogen for high beam suck. There usually isn't enough room for those moving element hi/low bulbs anyhow. I have enough power to run both and the 6000 lumens is really cool.

Now LED helmet lights are another matter completely. LEDs are great there. My only problem is my double XR-E is lost in those 6000 lumens. I'm building double P7 which should have about 1500 lumens and that will work better with my headlights.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.