Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I've been lurking in the corners of this forum too long, so here's my entry into the 29er bike building community.

I've had a long time interest in 29er's, but wanted to do more research before I built my dream bike. A friend of mine recommended this forum based on my interest in full-suspension 29er's. I've always enjoyed the ride of Titanium, so I narrowed my search to a Titanium full-suspension frame with that extra attention to detail. After a lot of research, I decided to go with Daryl Funk's 29er.

Here are some pictures of the frame plans and the first stages of the frame build.....:thumbsup:
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Funky Wheels....

My goal was to keep the bike as light as possible, while keeping it a reliable daily ride. I ended up with Am Classics, Ignitors, and Specialized Tubes (decided to follow Rainman's advice :) ). The wheels weighed in at 1610 grams, the tires were 580-585, and the tubes are only 130. This should keep the bike rolling fast with minimal weight.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Tinkertoys,

How did you contact Funk Cycles. I've emailed them twice for info and so far no luck. Haven't tried the phone and I'm really interested in their bike. Wanted dimensions on the 29r frames as they only have the 26 bike dimensions on their website. By the way, the bike looks goooood, can't wait to see the build finish and see the first ride report
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
445 Posts
Nice

Tinkertoys said:
My goal was to keep the bike as light as possible, while keeping it a reliable daily ride. I ended up with Am Classics, Ignitors, and Specialized Tubes (decided to follow Rainman's advice :) ). The wheels weighed in at 1610 grams, the tires were 580-585, and the tubes are only 130. This should keep the bike rolling fast with minimal weight.
I have a appointment to visit with Daryl tomorrow about same type 29 frame, he mentioned just finishing one, must be yours, very nice, guess I may want to take my check book
 

·
bleeding eventually stops
Joined
·
251 Posts
Maybe they're better now

Their old knickname was F#&%ing Junk. Could see where they used vice grip to crimp the alum tubes around the dropouts. Guess that was 20 years ago. Damn I'm getting old.
 

·
SpoK Werks Handmade Goods
Joined
·
1,201 Posts
Funny how things change eh?

dr.dirt said:
Their old knickname was F#&%ing Junk. Could see where they used vice grip to crimp the alum tubes around the dropouts. Guess that was 20 years ago. Damn I'm getting old.
There are a couple of other Funk's floating around on this forum and I have to say that they're all quite lovely. Did I just say lovely? Anyway.... sweet bike and I'm glad to see another 'craft' framemaker coming of age.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Funk Contact and Geometry

surfk9 said:
Tinkertoys,

How did you contact Funk Cycles. I've emailed them twice for info and so far no luck. Haven't tried the phone and I'm really interested in their bike. Wanted dimensions on the 29r frames as they only have the 26 bike dimensions on their website. By the way, the bike looks goooood, can't wait to see the build finish and see the first ride report
Surfk9 - I'm 6'2", and my frame is a fairly large build with a 24.5" effective top tube. You might want to give Daryl a call on 303-810-5530 to review all the dimensions. He's built quite a few 29er's recently, so I'm sure he has other information available.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Funk 29er in Denver

trail717 said:
I have a appointment to visit with Daryl tomorrow about same type 29 frame, he mentioned just finishing one, must be yours, very nice, guess I may want to take my check book
Trail717 - You are welcome to stop by and check out the complete bike. I'm in Lakewood, and about 15 minutes away from Daryl's shop. Send me a PM or call Daryl if you're interested in meeting. BTW - The complete bike weighs 23.9 lbs sized for a 6'2" rider. Pretty darn good.:thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
TinkerToy and TG could you please give some ride reports about feel of rear end vs other fs, softails you may have ridden. Very curious about travel. Does it just take the edge off or more. I read TG's comments on his but would appreciate any info possible. The trails I ride are all rocky/rough ledgy and have been lurking for more info on this bike. Congrats and I really appreciate any info
 

·
TomOneTi
Joined
·
218 Posts
I have my RP23 shock set with 75 lbs pressure, rebound 3-4 clicks from full open and the pro-pedal button set on 3 (firm). With the pro-pedal lever in the open position, I get a very cushy ride and 3" of travel. It's definitely a suspension bike and not a "soft-tail". In fact, it feels like it has more than 3" travel. With the pro-pedal engaged, I might get 1/2 inch travel at the wheel. Great for climbing in or out of the saddle. Combined with the Reba 100 mm (w/pop-loc) which I have set up in a similar way, I can almost totally lock the suspension (but still have enough to take the jolts out) and it will climb incredibly well in or out of the saddle. With both open, it's a really plush ride. The best of both worlds IMO. :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Tinkertoys,
Thanks for the info. I'm only 5'10 but seem to like a roomier cockpit. My Ionic SS has a 24.5 ett and feels real comfortable. From the info tgreisel gave re:suspenion I need to get off my butt and talk to Daryl about a bike. What has been the time frame for construction?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
445 Posts
Im Sold

tgriesel said:
I have my RP23 shock set with 75 lbs pressure, rebound 3-4 clicks from full open and the pro-pedal button set on 3 (firm). With the pro-pedal lever in the open position, I get a very cushy ride and 3" of travel. It's definitely a suspension bike and not a "soft-tail". In fact, it feels like it has more than 3" travel. With the pro-pedal engaged, I might get 1/2 inch travel at the wheel. Great for climbing in or out of the saddle. Combined with the Reba 100 mm (w/pop-loc) which I have set up in a similar way, I can almost totally lock the suspension (but still have enough to take the jolts out) and it will climb incredibly well in or out of the saddle. With both open, it's a really plush ride. The best of both worlds IMO. :thumbsup:
This post is exactly the ride info I was looking for, thanks for the feedback:thumbsup: .

Note: Plug for Funk:
I visited Daryl's shop today, left with positive impression; he apparently has a strong bike industry/frame building background from the 90's. He works out of a impressive tool and die type machine shop so he has access to some sweet manual &CNC type equipment

Daryl has a friendly low key approach. I got the impression he really was listening to me as I feebly tried to describe what I was looking for in ride and handling characteristics.
He has some recommendations based on his experience but does not seem locked into any foregone conclusions on what's best for someone else. Should be easy to work with.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Pictures of the Final Build

Here's some pictures of the completed build.:cool: The bike is plush and smooth with a solid feel. I'm still amazed at the simplicity of the design and how good it feels.

The final component selection was tough. I ended up going with XTR cranks and F-Der, and XO R-Der and triggers. The front fork is a Reba Race that I'm going to try in the 80 length to see how it does. I started off with the settings that Rainmain and Tom Griesel recommended, and it's definitely plush. The poplock works great, and it clears the frame without an issue.

Thanks to Daryl Funk for the bike and all the support through the building process, and to everyone else for all the advice and input into this process. The forecast for Denver looks pretty bad for the next week, so I won't be able to give a test ride report yet. I'll post a ride report once the weather clears up. :thumbsup:
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Build timeframe

surfk9 said:
Tinkertoys,
Thanks for the info. I'm only 5'10 but seem to like a roomier cockpit. My Ionic SS has a 24.5 ett and feels real comfortable. From the info tgreisel gave re:suspenion I need to get off my butt and talk to Daryl about a bike. What has been the time frame for construction?
SurfK9 - Tom weighs the same as I do (166), so I tried the settings and they worked out great. The bike is suprisingly plush and smooth. Regarding build time, mine took about 6 weeks, but that included the holidays and a few changes.
 
1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top