Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For now we are just

building for ourselves and helping a few others build their own frames. The insurance and formation of an LLC is just not where we are at right now.
We really dont have any grandoise ideas of taking it public but wouldnt it be cool if a group of folks started building their own frames and developed an underground net work of "home builts".....i bet a gathering of frankenbikes would be quite fun...
As for the web site,thanks for the offer to help but we will just keep it "home built"....
The web site is to just "show & tell" as we go along,not to generate business

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thanks for post....

and the website. I'm in the process of getting the stuff I need for my first build and I will definitely be emailing you guys.
By the way, I thought I was so smart and original building up my jig (inspired form a Monster Garage episode), and it's almost identical to the one you already had done! Oh well, I guess it's all been done in some form, huh?

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cool..we will help you

we will be glad to supply pics, tell you what weve learned(good &bad) and do as much as we can to get more "homebuilts".....it fun and there is nothing quite like "rolling your own" good,bad & ugly....it is after all your creation

·
Registered
310 Posts
Awesome frankenbike stuff! I was just thinking about this same concept as a friend of mine is in talks with a metal shop to have some dropouts made for his own custom bikes. I'm looking to find some old hybrid, or possibly cyclocross/touring bikes to turn into singlespeed 29ers by welding some horizontal dropouts and this very helpful chainstay widening method:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=140897
Great work, my man.
-Sean

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
I'd be very interested to hear what type of riding you like that 20" rear wheel most for. I would think it's a joy for low-speed technical/trials stuff, and BMX tracks?

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Brant..Planet X forks -Yippee

The Bizz-ar-eo is my first attempt at an XC/Trials bike and im relatively pleased. The big fat Creepy Crawler tire obviously does not roll well and is a bit of a burden on climbs but isnt that bad.
Downhills as you can imagine are brutal if its a high speed,rooty,rocky trail but if it is a technical slow speed up or down trail then it is very good. It is ultra stable and is very easy to loft off of jumps/drops its very good. High speed isnt where its at with this frame. Tight twisty single track is also very good.
Im thinking of building a 20" Bmx wheel just to see how it feels with a fast rolling lighter wheel.
It will be very interesting to what you come up with Brant...ill be waiting to see how it may come out.
We have about $2500.00 in tools/fixtures so far and between 2 people thats not much(some used stuff included).
If you figure most "addicts" usually are spending $2000-$3000 per year on bike stuff then if you just take 1years toy money and set up a little shop then you can build your own frames and as long as you are not using the really high end air hardening steel then your materials for a frame are much less expensive than one would think.
Lets start a revolution...HOMEBUILTS...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.