Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Hack Racer
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got a set of M965 hubs at cost from a friend. Spent the last two nights spec'n parts to build my very first wheel. Right now i'm running into a question of "is this worth it? I'm a 170 lbs rider, XC single track riding only, nothing more than 2 foot drops.

My planned wheel setup is as follows.

32 spokes, 3 cross
XTR M965 hubs (F:220 g / R:380g)
DT Swiss Center lock - int. standard adaptor (29 g)
DT Swiss Revolution Spokes 2.0 mm
DT Swiss DT pro lock Aluminium nipples
DT Swiss XR 4.1d Rims
Est weight is 1800 total for both wheels
Est price is $550

Then I look at what Mavic has to offer off the shelf.
Mavic Crossmax Enduro - $474 @ 1836 g
Mavic Crossmax SL - $850 @ 1685

Are XTR hubs going to be uber better than what mavic offers on their Crossmax Enduros? I'm so tempted in just ebaying my XTR hubs and buying an off the shelf item, but part of me always wanted to learn how to build a wheel. I also noticed that mavic uses a 24 spoke pattern on both their enduro and SL wheels? Can I get away with even less spokes?

Custom > Mavic? or is Mavic > Custom?

and I still use tubes.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Good questions. I'm in a similar situation to you wanting a new wheel set.

They get very expensive for such little weight reduction.

I have Bontrager Select Disc currently which are supposedly 1920g at about $260 new.

If one wants a wheelset in the 1600g range it costs near $800+ it seems. I just don't see the value or performance gain for that price. :(

I think the Mavic Crossmax Enduro aren't too bad of a deal but they aren't much lighter than what I have.

Decisions, decisions.

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
I haven't heard great things about the FSA wheels, they are not very stiff if I am to believe the reports. As for the Mavic wheels. Wait if you can. The 2007 range has a few more wheelsets and the Crossmax SL lose yet another 150 grams or so, there is the even lighter (and probably more expensive obviously) Crossmax SLR but most importantly, they have reportedly improved the freehub reliability, which was the problem with Mavic wheelsets... their freehubs need to be taken apart and relubed every few months (easy to do at least, it's a 10 minute job). You can see the information here.

Another option for the wealthy cyclists that is probably starting to eat Mavic's share of the high end pre-built wheels, is Industry Nine: pick the rims, pick the color of the spokes and hubs along with a few other options (number of engagments of the freehub, spoke gauge, QR, thru axle, ...).

But for value, you are probably better off with a custom built wheel. DT 240s hubs with your choice of rims, spokes and nipples would make a very good wheelset.

·
Registered
443 Posts
For $650.00 you can have a set of wheels with Chris King disc hubs and your choice of spokes and nipples. The hubs will last longer than anything else on your bike (unless you have a Chris King H-set) and the wheels would be easily repaired when needed. I went with 717 rims DB spokes and alloy nipples and my wheel set is lighter than the Crossmax SLs and $200 cheaper.
Another option is Colorado Cylist is selling a 717/WTB Laser Disc wheel set that they say is under 1600 grams for $350.00.

·
Registered
451 Posts
forceyoda said:
Another option is Colorado Cylist is selling a 717/WTB Laser Disc wheel set that they say is under 1600 grams for $350.00.
I seriously doubt they weigh under 1600g. They'd be boasting it on their web site if it was true. You have proof of this somewhere? Probably not even under 1800g is my guess.

What about NoTubes? For ~$580 at ~1400g (assuming you are 170lbs or less) these seem hard to beat.
http://www.notubes.com/product_info.php/cPath/42_44/products_id/69

Just wanted to add Dave's seems to offer some really nice wheel sets also. Cheapest pair at $500 but nice and light Front/Rear Weight: 659 / 850 grams
http://www.speeddream.com/mountain_disc.php

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
Under 1600g is possible.

beeristasty said:
My build -
$75 WTB Front - 144g
$150 WTB Rear - 266g
$32 Spokes - 175g X 2
$-- Nips - 10g X 2
$45 Sun UFO Front Rim - 361g
$45ish Veloicty Synergy Rim - 415g

Total = 1556g
Total = $347

I built 'em myself. Sourced some of the parts from Mike at the link above, and some from local bike shops.

JmZ

·
Hack Racer
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
JmZ said:
My build -
$75 WTB Front - 144g
$150 WTB Rear - 266g
$32 Spokes - 175g X 2
$-- Nips - 10g X 2
$45 Sun UFO Front Rim - 361g
$45ish Veloicty Synergy Rim - 415g

Total = 1556g
Total = $347

I built 'em myself. Sourced some of the parts from Mike at the link above, and some from local bike shops.

JmZ
Nice! which spokes did you use and how much you weigh? I'm 170 lbs, is that considered a lot for a mountain bike rider?

·
Registered
451 Posts
Wow, some nice wheel set price finds popping up in here.

Can anyone give some feedback on the durability of the lighter wheel sets offer by say OddsandEndos or Dave's or NoTubes?

I mean are they strong enough for some fast but light downhill rock gardens and say 1-2 foot drops on a FS bike with a 170lb person?

Or are they strictly more for smooth, low paced single track with few roots and rocks?

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
I think you got your hub weights wrong, weightweinie has them list as 150/310 fr/rr. A bud of mine built up 965 hubs (32 spoke) w/Stan olympics and DT Supercomps it came out around 1510 grams. He goes 170 lbs street and said the new wheelset felt stiffer through the turns than his '03 Crossmax Discs.

Right now the "hot" pre-builds are the Industry 9s, you should put those on your list. Crossmax feel plenty stiff to me even my old 18 spoke versions, so don't cross them off completely. Also if you are counting grams consider using center lock rotors.

·
Hack Racer
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
Cheers! said:
Nice! which spokes did you use and how much you weigh? I'm 170 lbs, is that considered a lot for a mountain bike rider?

Can you use the Sun UFO wheel for disc applications? Rear wheel? 370g for a rim is light...
I'm 200 pounds and riding these in XC applications. Top hucking is probably a foot or so. I just had 'em in the truing stand today. They were maybe out by 1 mm, that's it.

I only used the UFO on the front. I did manage to tweak a Sub IV. (Same basic rim but pinned instead of welded). I was trying to keep up with a local freerider on a wheel that needed retensioned. I knew better, but such is life, eh?

On the rear I'm running the Velocity Synergy Asym rim. Had it in the stand today too... same deal. Maybe out 1 mm. No problems, yet. :)

I've found about a 400-425g rear rim works for me. I can get away with a lighter front rim. This has pretty much held true over the last full suspension and hardail frames I've run.

Spokes are typical Wheelsmith DB spokes. Worked out to be about 175g per wheel in spokes. Nothing fancy. I have run Revolutions and Ti spokes on rim brake applications in the past without huge problems - so it seems
I'm not terribly abusive on some of the older wheels. :)

Destroy said:
Wow, some nice wheel set price finds popping up in here.

Can anyone give some feedback on the durability of the lighter wheel sets offer by say OddsandEndos or Dave's or NoTubes?

I mean are they strong enough for some fast but light downhill rock gardens and say 1-2 foot drops on a FS bike with a 170lb person?

Or are they strictly more for smooth, low paced single track with few roots and rocks?
I build my own wheels so can't honeslty tell ya how good Mike's build's are, but he's one I would trust to build my own wheels. I've abused my wheels under a 200 pound rider, hit the occasional drop of a foot or so. Local trails give a chance to get to about 25-30mph that's it - and that's a smooth run. Take it for what's that's worth.

Hope that helps some,

JmZ

·
Registered
443 Posts
They do brag about it on their website:
http://www.coloradocyclist.com/comm...FNBR=337&CRPCGNBR=337&CI=1,224,337&TextMode=0

WTB LaserDisc Mavic XC-717 Wheelset
<
WTB LaserDisc Lite / Mavic 717 Wheelset 14/15. Looking at complete wheel solutions from several manufacturers can cause near-terminal sticker-shock. We realized we could offer the same or better performance at a non-fatal price. Using our unparalleled wheel-building experience and buying power, we are now offering the lightest Disc wheelsets obtainable anywhere for hundreds less. (NO SKEWERS). Rotors not included. DT 14/15 Black. PRE-CC-12. Please allow 2-3 working days prior to ship.

Price $349.99

I am not trying to do any SPAM work for Colorado Cyclist, I am sure there are other dealers than can match this deal, I am just pointing out that you can buy a lighter wheel set than the factory ones for less money and it will be more serviceable in the long run.

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
Cheers! said:
In the past Shimano has included their skewer weights in the hub weight. Last set of XTR hubs I had were about 310g for the rear, and about 140g-ish for the front. It's been a few years back, but I doubt that it's changed much.

JmZ

·
Registered
444 Posts
Cheers! said:
....Spent the last two nights spec'n parts to build my very first wheel.....
.....DT Swiss Revolution Spokes 2.0 mm.....
Sorry for trimming your post but... fine spec by itself but DT Revs are not the easiest spoke for first wheel build as spoke windup can be a problem with them.

·
Registered
451 Posts
forceyoda said:
I am not trying to do any SPAM work for Colorado Cyclist, I am sure there are other dealers than can match this deal, I am just pointing out that you can buy a lighter wheel set than the factory ones for less money and it will be more serviceable in the long run.
Well we'll find out soon enough; I just place an order for this wheelset online today. I'll post back with some weights and impressions soon as I get them.

·
Registered
738 Posts
wtb laserdisc lite rear disc hubs and mtbr reviews

I was really tempted when looking at the price/weight ratios discussed on this thread. However, the mtbr reviews on the wtb laserdisc lite rear hubs are pretty scary. No one seems to complain about the front hub, though, just the engagement of the rear hub.

Does anyone know if the wheels being sold by CC are with improved rear hubs, or the same ones being reviewed on mtbr?

thnaks

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
stevemtu said:
I was really tempted when looking at the price/weight ratios discussed on this thread. However, the mtbr reviews on the wtb laserdisc lite rear hubs are pretty scary. No one seems to complain about the front hub, though, just the engagement of the rear hub.

Does anyone know if the wheels being sold by CC are with improved rear hubs, or the same ones being reviewed on mtbr?

thnaks
Laser Disk Lites have stayed "improved" since late '04. Or more specifically they did not go for the changes that American Classic have done to the hubs and thus have avoided the problems of the newer design.

I haven't read through the review recently but some of the problems had stem from bad bearings which are standard sized and can be replaced and upgraded with Enduro or SKF if you choose to. The hub engagement problems usually involved the older pin engagement or the thin wire "gold" hubs, both long gone.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.