Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i would like to build a nice MTB freeride for under $900. i would like to start out with a .243 frame or a narco frame. im just stuck on the components. here is a little something that i had in mind...
hydro brakes
thick rims & tires
durrable fork (DJ?)

and so please help me out

thanks! ;)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Im also thinking of building a free ride/ uban bike and just like you iv got no bills. If i were you id check out some other good frames like azonic steelhead, surly instigator or the transition trail-or-park these r very good too. as for the fork id defenetly go with marzocchies they will last you for ever and i think dj 3 would be great for you.
i wouldnt try to save money on the rims, one of my friends has sun rhyno lite xl and they r damn strong.
if you need a rear derailleur sram x. 7 seems very good.
As for the handlebars id go with easton i really like what theyv got.
Thats all the parts i can help you with for now hope it helps.

·
Registered
681 Posts
When I'm tight financially on a build the first thing I do is make a budget. Write down what you need, do a little research and find out how much you're willing to spend on each component. This gives you a basic idea as to what price range you should be looking for. Then I keep an eye out on Ebay and the marketplace here for components that I want and fit within my budget. This keeps me from going over. Stuff on eBay is going for VERY cheap right now. The market seems a bit soft so its a great buyer's market. Here's a few suggestions for components:

Hydro Brakes: Hayes, hands down. They're cheap ($99 new at Jenson), they're dependable, they just work. If you can't swing that I'd do avid mechanicals. I know they're not as cool but they work very well. Plus you can get a nice 185mm rotor or something.
Wheels: Shimano XT disc hubs laced to Sun Rhyno Lite rims with 14g straight spokes. Cheap, strong, great wheels. You can probably get a set for pretty cheap on ebay, maybe $100. If not, Jenson will build them for free if you buy all the parts there which would probably total up to about $140 or so.
Handlebar: Azonic Double Wall. They are strong and the bend is just perfect. The most comfy bars I've ever found.
Fork: I would definitely stick to a Zoke, like Ruskyi121 said, probably something in the DJ series. you can snag one of these for cheap off eBay.
Drivetrain: for your mech I'd stick to something cheap like SRAM x.7 with gripshifters (my preference) or Shimano LX. There's no sense in spending your money here since it will probably break eventually (from falling).

Not to illegally solicit on these boards but I have some used stuff that you may be interested in. If you are drop me a line at gabe0807 at yahoo dot com.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.