Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

I've had a crap summer/fall for riding with an unplanned surgery, a planned new addition to the family and an unplanned rampup at work thats requiring too many hours.

I escaped for a bit to ride some today and found that aerobically speaking, I'm toast.

What I need is a plan that will build back a base aerobic capacity. I'm sure that I could just go sit on the trainer for a while and get some capacity back, but I'd like to go about this with a plan in place to maximize my time and workouts.

I'd like to be back in shape for some hockey this winter and some triathlon and maybe a mountain bike race in the spring/summer, but right now just a short climb from the parking lot is kicking my ass.

So can anyone recommend any good books, websites or experiences for me?

Thanks!

Terry

·
Get your freak on!
2,696 Posts
terry.mc said:
All,

I've had a crap summer/fall for riding with an unplanned surgery, a planned new addition to the family and an unplanned rampup at work thats requiring too many hours.

I escaped for a bit to ride some today and found that aerobically speaking, I'm toast.

What I need is a plan that will build back a base aerobic capacity. I'm sure that I could just go sit on the trainer for a while and get some capacity back, but I'd like to go about this with a plan in place to maximize my time and workouts.

I'd like to be back in shape for some hockey this winter and some triathlon and maybe a mountain bike race in the spring/summer, but right now just a short climb from the parking lot is kicking my ass.

So can anyone recommend any good books, websites or experiences for me?

Thanks!

Terry
The training bible by Joel Friel is a good start. I have found that it acters to many different people, and has lots of useful and easy to understand information.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Doesn't look like Steve Seiler has made any changes in years. His story of the old guy marathoner is quite cool...but I wonder how much faster the guy might have gotten there with some structured interval work. Also, running and rowing are quite different from what happens on a bicycle in terms of variability of power output. I am not a big fan of Friel, as he has been behind the curve in too many areas [that is, did not acknowledge or incorporate newer research findings for a long time]. Those of you who know me understand the focus on above-threshold work that I believe is so important in cycling.

The notion of needing zillions of hours of "base" just doesn't hold up under scrutiny. If you have followed DaveM's outlines, you have a whopping 3-4 wk endurance block in the winter. And, contrary to Friel, it IS important to get in some hard efforts in the winter as well to optimally maintain gains from the previous season.

Pick up a copy of Dave Morris' Performance Cycling for an alternative perspective, and one that MANY on this board have found useful for a number of years.

·
Registered
616 Posts
In addition to building base aerobic fitness, don't forget to work on your total body strength. Makes riding easier and makes you less likely to get injured. Light weight lifting can enhance your aerobic capacity. Listen to your own body when training, but be willing to learn from others, easier to let someone else make the training mistake for you. And remember, quality rest is as important as quality training.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.