Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all

Looking at focusing more on racing this season and would like to build a new bike. Currently have an SB5.5 and a Hei Hei AL/DL. The Hei Hei I had been racing and have been happy with it, but new year, new bike!

I am a Clyde. 6’3”. 235-240 all geared up. Before anyone tells me to drop weight, I’m down from 430lbs. I’m kinda where I’m gunna be.

I don’t really have a budget in mind. I would LIKE to stay Kona, Salsa or Orbea, as I work part time at a shop and have access to them pretty easily. But not opposed to venturing out either for the right bike

I’m thinking a 120/100 or 120/120 bike. Carbon preferably. Rode the Hei Hei Carbon back to back against my aluminum one and could feel a stiffness difference and want that.

Right now my build is a 2018 Hei Hei AL/DL frame, MRP Ribbon 130, e13 dropper, custom spank 295/I9 wheelset, 11sp XO1, And Carbon cockpit. Been happy with it but ready to upgrade...

Could do a carbon hei Hei frame and just build up a new bike with AXS and such...or....

What would you all recommend for someone wanting to focus on XC racing but being a bigger dude?

Thanks

Again, please don’t tell me to lose weight. I may drop another 20plbs or so but I’m happy where’s I am considering where I was

·
Rides all the bikes!
4,489 Posts
The one thing I would look at is the shock pressures vs your weight. You are I assume (I am light, so I don't pay much attention) on the limits of max shock pressure. If your bike requires you to run pressure over the max to reach sag, you might run into reliability issues. Or...use a coil and pick a bike that is coil friendly.

Again, please don't tell me to lose weight. I may drop another 20plbs or so but I'm happy where's I am considering where I was
I'm not going to tell you to drop weight. But I will say don't convince yourself that you can't. A year ago my GF thought she was done losing weight. That was 45 pounds ago too. Now she is once again convinced she is done losing weight...until this morning when she was down a couple more pounds again over the last month+.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The one thing I would look at is the shock pressures vs your weight. You are I assume (I am light, so I don't pay much attention) on the limits of max shock pressure. If your bike requires you to run pressure over the max to reach sag, you might run into reliability issues. Or...use a coil and pick a bike that is coil friendly.

I'm not going to tell you to drop weight. But I will say don't convince yourself that you can't. A year ago my GF thought she was done losing weight. That was 45 pounds ago too. Now she is once again convinced she is done losing weight...until this morning when she was down a couple more pounds again over the last month+.
I definitely respect that response. I guess what I was looking at was a "just lose more weight".

I am working on that, but I'm not actively looking to drop another 40-50lbs

I am going down. Slowly. Just not putting a ton of focus on it.

·
Registered
14,807 Posts
Since you get a price break I'd go with the carbon frame with better wheels with 30mm inner rim width vs 24.5mm.
Nino Schurter and Kate Courtney use those and they are the two current XCO champs.
https://bikerumor.com/2019/02/08/pr...courtneys-new-2019-scott-spark-rc-race-bikes/

CarbonFan rims are easy to build with DT 350 hubs and Sapim Laser spokes. Or you can have BTLOS build the wheelset.

My choice would be 35mm rims for XR2 2.35 Team tires or 40 for a 2.6 front. Higher volume more rounded tread profile than some other makes.

·
Wanna ride bikes?
9,797 Posts
The Hei Hei and the Spearfish are pretty similar. I think either one is a great choice. I have a Hei Hei CR/DL (2017) and it's a killer bike. I'm similar size to you at 6'3" 215 lbs with gear, and a pretty avid rider/racer. The Hei Hei is my endurance race bike. I honestly like the bike much more than I thought I would.

The Split Pivot on the Spearfish does interest me. The Sid fork is a drawback though for bigger guys, I much prefer the Fox 34. Also the Salsa has an IS headset- Drawback. It also has a BSA BB, Bonus! I think the super boost rear hub spacing is a bonus too, plus it has better tire clearance.

That said I'm not giving up my Hei Hei, it's so good.

Edit: forgot to ask... No interested in a carbon hardtail like the Kona Honzo? That way you have a backup bike, and diversity, but the hardtail may be a better race bike? Just curious.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Hei Hei and the Spearfish are pretty similar. I think either one is a great choice. I have a Hei Hei CR/DL (2017) and it's a killer bike. I'm similar size to you at 6'3" 215 lbs with gear, and a pretty avid rider/racer. The Hei Hei is my endurance race bike. I honestly like the bike much more than I thought I would.

The Split Pivot on the Spearfish does interest me. The Sid fork is a drawback though for bigger guys, I much prefer the Fox 34. Also the Salsa has an IS headset- Drawback. It also has a BSA BB, Bonus! I think the super boost rear hub spacing is a bonus too, plus it has better tire clearance.

That said I'm not giving up my Hei Hei, it's so good.

Edit: forgot to ask... No interested in a carbon hardtail like the Kona Honzo? That way you have a backup bike, and diversity, but the hardtail may be a better race bike? Just curious.
Would love a Carbon Honzo....none available at the moment.

The new spearfish I fell in love with. The teal frame I love, but again, none available!
As for the Sid and Fox 34, I would be selling/parting out most of the parts and going with either another ribbon, or a Pike Ultimate, and more than likely AXS fI r drivetrain.

I have a Chinese carbon hardtail setup single sped and love it

·
Formerly of Kent
13,084 Posts
Personally, I think every build should start at the wheels, move to the fork, then the frame and dangling bits.

So, unless you're buying complete, I'd figure out what wheels and fork you want and go from there.

Would a Fox 34 SC work for you, or would a Pike be the lower limit of stiffness for a guy your size? I'm most of 100lbs lighter than you, so I'm generally clueless here. Now, in some cases, you can find a COMPLETE bike you like with a 34 SC for less than the price of the frame + fork. So, that might be an option.

Now, wheels. What are you looking at here? Any internal width requirements? Any particular hubs in mind? Running inserts?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Personally, I think every build should start at the wheels, move to the fork, then the frame and dangling bits.

So, unless you're buying complete, I'd figure out what wheels and fork you want and go from there.

Would a Fox 34 SC work for you, or would a Pike be the lower limit of stiffness for a guy your size? I'm most of 100lbs lighter than you, so I'm generally clueless here. Now, in some cases, you can find a COMPLETE bike you like with a 34 SC for less than the price of the frame + fork. So, that might be an option.

Now, wheels. What are you looking at here? Any internal width requirements? Any particular hubs in mind? Running inserts?
Hadn't planned on inserts but I do keep blowing up tires so might look at that

As far as Fork...not sure. I've put Ribbons in every bike I've built over the last year or so and have loved them. Pretty open to options though

Been running 2.35 Ardent Race tires and have gone through 3 in the last mont on the rear

Nothing really in particular. I run Enve M730 on my SB5.5 and love the feel.

I like I9 hubs. Pretty much everything I've had built has I9 hubs. But no real requirements. Something stiff and compliant and somewhat lightweight, but strong enough for my size. The Spank Oozy 295s have been solid, but keep going through tires around the bead

·
Wanna ride bikes?
9,797 Posts
Hadn't planned on inserts but I do keep blowing up tires so might look at that

Been running 2.35 Ardent Race tires and have gone through 3 in the last mont on the rear

... but keep going through tires around the bead
I've had really good luck with the Maxxis Forekaster 2.35. It's got a good amount of grip, still rolls fast, is quite light, and has proven to be very durable for me. I have 2-3 in service on different bikes.

·
Formerly of Kent
13,084 Posts
Suggestion:

Mount your tires so that the MAXXIS label is next to the valve stem. Next time you kill a tire, mark where that is relative to the MAXXIS label, and also the valve stem. And keep on doing that.

I'm fairly certain I've read somewhere that someone else was having trouble with a Spank Oozy 295 cutting the tire above the bead. If you can figure out if this is happening, and where, that could help there. At the very least you could gently sand them rim there, if you find a sharp spot, or replace it if necessary.

Additionally, tire inserts are cheap and easy to make. They'll support your tire in hard cornering AND keep you from cutting them.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,875 Posts

True, but the XC bikes typically don't come with the outrageous high-volume cans that many of the more enduro stuff does, those high volume cans make it much harder IMO.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Same size guy as you that races xc and i have zero issues on my top fuel.

I just have some enduro wheels on it. The 32 sc fork ive never noticed it flexy, i push it really hard and down hill like a madman (i use to dirtbike and mountain sled so speed and trees are meh).

Only downfall is i need lots of water but i run a seatpost bottle cage and so i get 2 750ml bottles with me.

Running xr1 2.2s at 28/30 psi right now and they fly and corner well other than a bit of wet dirt and they are useless but i want them to fly on packed xc conditions. I have some 2.1 aspens im putting on for my first race, hoping they rail corners harder, no squirm and climb fast.

I really dont see why people think they need some specialized bike unless your looking at a $1200 bike... i had one, i destroyed everything. Once i got my top fuel it nothing happened. I got the wheels from prior experiences but i need a really strong hub for my power, thats really it. Can i run 24 spokes? No... but my 32 with brass nipples are prob over kill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Same size guy as you that races xc and i have zero issues on my top fuel.

I just have some enduro wheels on it. The 32 sc fork ive never noticed it flexy, i push it really hard and down hill like a madman (i use to dirtbike and mountain sled so speed and trees are meh).

Only downfall is i need lots of water but i run a seatpost bottle cage and so i get 2 750ml bottles with me.

Running xr1 2.2s at 28/30 psi right now and they fly and corner well other than a bit of wet dirt and they are useless but i want them to fly on packed xc conditions. I have some 2.1 aspens im putting on for my first race, hoping they rail corners harder, no squirm and climb fast.

I really dont see why people think they need some specialized bike unless your looking at a $1200 bike... i had one, i destroyed everything. Once i got my top fuel it nothing happened. I got the wheels from prior experiences but i need a really strong hub for my power, thats really it. Can i run 24 spokes? No... but my 32 with brass nipples are prob over kill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't Need a new bike. Or a specialized bike. But I like having the right tool for the job.

And it's kind of my reward to myself for getting to where I am now.

Aaaand I just wanna build a new bike :)

·
Registered
7,969 Posts
I'm big-ish at 195. I don't currently own an xc bike, but I've ridden quite a few of them briefly over the past few years.

The Top Fuel and (kind of outdated) Turner Czar are both as stiff as a brick.

·
I should be out riding
1,866 Posts
I'm big-ish at 195. I don't currently own an xc bike, but I've ridden quite a few of them briefly over the past few years.

The Top Fuel and (kind of outdated) Turner Czar are both as stiff as a brick.
That's like big-light. Not even clydesdale qualifying.

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
I ride a Fox 32 on my single speed and a Pike on my Release. Both are fine under my weight currently at 300#. But I don't race so I can't say that under those conditions how the Fox 32 would perform. I'd have no issue fully recommending the Pike however. I'd have to think that a Fox 34 would be fine though but I don't have experience so I'm not saying it absolutely would be.

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
Before I shyte the bed and gained a bunch of weight over the winter...last year I was 250-260 on a Rockshox Monarch Plus RC3 DebonAir and it simply did not work for my weight. I ended up with a Manitou McLeod and it was great and still is even under my 300# fat arse now. I think that at the 240-250# mark, the McLeod or something Fox would be best options or coil. Of course there's always tuning options too.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.