Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe someone can help me here..

I'm installing my drive train with a Truvativ Stylo (3 ring) and a PG970 Cassette (11-34).

In the 11T+granny combo, the rear derailleur swings to 9 o'clock so that the chain folds in half touching itself AND the chain scrapes the chain stay near the bottom bracket at the same time. I'm pretty sure the problem is chain length.

My uneducated guess: The chain had 114 links stock. I did the big-ring test and it looks like 111 links would work. I also stretched the chain through the derailleurs in the little-little combo, and it looks like 111 will work without rubbing.

Anyone know how to fix this?
Does anyone using a similar setup remember how many links they have????

Thanks!

·
Registered
265 Posts
When I set up my chains i usually set the chain on the small + small (granny and the 11 tooth cog) and shorten the chain till it dosent rub against itself when turning the cranks. When I set up my gears on my blt2 it seemed to come pretty close to the chain stay too but you really shouldnt be in that combo anyway.

·
Bring on the Funk!
322 Posts
The usual set up is wrap the chain around big ring and big cog (not through deraileur!) and then add 2 links. This should give a perfect all around length. You should also set the
B-set screw so that there is 4-6mm between jockey wheel and largest cog. I wouldn't worry too much about granny to 11t as this so badly cross-geared that your chain would be toast in no time if you ride in this combo. A shorter chain will wear out faster as it has to bend more and will stress the derailleur spring as well in easier gearings (middle ring to large cog).

Cheers and Happy Holidays

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I've measured the chain both ways and they both seem to give me the same result.

Funny thing is, I'm fully aware about how bad it is to cross gear, but the fact that I've had bikes that could go big-big or little-little without rubbing, make me want to set the LT2 up the same. It just seems wrong that the rub would be there at all. I'm pretty stubborn, I guess.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.