Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've poked around a few threads about putting a wheelset together. I've built a few wheelsets in the past and would like to do it again. Does anyone have a good resource for rims/spokes/nipples? chainreaction has some pretty good deals on rims, but shipping is 25 bucks a pop so that kind of eliminates the whole "deal" thing :p I'm still exploring the idea of going with a wheelset that is already built to save the trouble, been eying easton xc1 or xc2 sets, but heard a few things about spokes breaking. Also thinking of the Crest 29" wheelset from notubes.com but also heard some bad things about their hubs, so the price wouldn't be all that low if I went with some hopes or other hubs.

found these poking around the ole e-bay.

https://cgi.ebay.com/Element-MTB-Mountain-Bike-AL-7075-32H-Hubs-Skewer-BLK-/330527849165?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4cf4febacd#ht_5301wt_767

does anyone have any experience with those hubs??

as far as rims go, I was thinking of mavic or DT, trying to keep it on a decent budget. weight isn't too huge a factor, pretty much anything is going to be lighter than what is on the bike right now, I would say about 1/3 of my bikes current weight is in the wheels.

any advice would be great. and here is a picture of the bike, now that the frame is done it's time to focus my efforts somewhere else, and the bike is in BAD need of a diet at 30lbs. :thumbsup:

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,496 Posts
vrclowncar said:
any advice would be great. ...
try the WHEEL(and tires) forum..
People that actually build wheels post there - like Mike T , Roger Musson , melting feather- (if you want science), etc..
I've built a few myself... but the 29er forum is ..well..:eek:ut:

What's the best bottle cage for a 29er?
what pedals are good for a 29er?
best tire pump for a 29er?
can I use this backpack with a 29er?
what brad pitt movie to watch w/ my 29er?
what's the best way to fold clothes w/ a 29er...

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
highdelll said:
try the WHEEL(and tires) forum..
People that actually build wheels post there - like Mike T , Roger Musson , shiggy, melting feather (if you want science) etc..
I built a few myself... but the 29er forum is ..well..:eek:ut:
yeah, poked around over there a bit, and will some more. I just kinda figured it was more of a 29" specific advice so I thought here would be just as good.

·
I got nothin'
739 Posts
I like dealing with Universal Cycles. Their prices are good, they sell spokes and nipples individually (you don't have to buy a box of 50 of one length) and they have their monthly coupons. They also have a great wheel builder that I have asked questions of before and he has happily answered them.

I no nothing about those hubs except to say that they look like several other brand names on ebay out of China. That said, I would bet they are Joy/Novatech hubs. I bought a set of Novatech hubs a year ago and have since put over 3k miles with no issues. They spin freely and smoothly with no noise. They seem like a good design with sealed bearings.

In my experience, DT Swiss spokes and nipples, for some reason, are easier to tension and true up a wheel than Wheelsmith. Seems like when I use the double and triple butted spokes the Wheelsmith spokes tend to twist up more than the DT Swiss.

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,891 Posts
www.danscomp.com sells Sapim double butted black spokes for $0.50 each.

My issue with them is that they don't sell 12mm length nipples, only 14mm or 16mm :skep:

Still a good deal even if you have to get yer nips elsewhere :thumbsup:

I used to use CBO, but they raised their spoke prices. They do usually have a pretty good selection of DT -Swiss spokes and some Wheelsmith stuff too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.