Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey,

i have always been a fan of the nemesis project bicycles and i would like to build something simmaler (if thats ok evil4bc, and check your pms)

i am planning on designing a frame for street/park/djs and i was wondering if you guys could tell me some of the tricks of the trade?

i like the looks of all the nemesis bikes and i would like to know how to build something simmaler to any of those. i need to know all angles, sizes, materials, welding type, welding technique. it does not have to be the same as one of the nemesis bikes, although that would be nice. of course i would call it soemthing different (or slap a couple nemmesis stickers on it and i could advertise :ihih:

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I don't know much, but I can say I would go with really good mechanical disk brakes (aka the AVID BB7) instead of something hydraulic so that you don't have to mess with all the problems I've heard/read about with hyrdraulic. Mechanicals are usually cheaper too, but with the BB-7's I think that may not be the case, unless you buy something like the Juicy 7's or the El Caminos.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
He's not asking about components. He's asking about geometry. Again, do you know what you're talking about? Besides, ECs suck. Tiny master cylinder, tiny resivoir. Not nearly enough fluid capacity. Thus, very little power. I wouldn't even use it for an all mountain brake. I say strictly XC. You can get a complete set of BB7s for around 120, you can get a J7 for one wheel for around 140. You can get a complete set of Mags for around 200. Still, mechanicals don't have the sheer stopping power of hydraulics. And there are very little problems with hydros. So you have to bleed once in a while to replace fluid. Not a big deal, 5 minute job. With mechanicals you've got to have good cables and housing and you have to keep them clean to maintain decent lever action.

You know what I'm looking for...

Air hardened and heat treated Platinum OX tubing. Either box dropouts with integrated tensioners or sliding vertical dropouts (with optional 24" specific dropouts). Optional replaceable derailleur hanger. Optional bolt-on grind plate or peg mount. Machined chainstay and seatstay yokes. Machined headtube.

21" effective TT
15" chainstays all the way in
about a 40 or 41 inch wheelbase.
12.5" BB height
13" seat tube
70 degree head tube angle
71 degree seat tube angle

Machined stays should provide plenty of clearance for 3.0s if desired. Bonus if the frame can clear 203mm rotors. Bolt-on v-brake mounts. Like a bolt-on arch.

5 or 6 pound target weight.

Plus an integrated beer opener.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I don't mean to be a dick about this, but if you honestly know that little about frame building, you're simply not going to be able to build a frame for yourself. You might be able to get someone to build you a frame with the geometry and tube set you want, but it's almost definitely going to cost you more than buying something pre-existing that fits your desires. First of all, you'd drop a few hundred dollars on a nice tubeset, then spend literally years learning to TIG weld well enough to get good results on the (relatively) super thin tubing used on bicycles or pay someone a few hundred dollars to do it for you, and let's not mention the cost of buying a jig to weld the frames in, as well as all the fixtures and milling machines to miter your tubes. Then add in the cost of the CNC'd bits that you won't be able to do without a $20,000 (used) or more CNC mill like your dropouts, bottom bracket and headtube, and it starts to make a lot more sense to just buy a bike. If you really knew what you wanted, and didn't feel that something close enough was available on the market, then it makes sense to go and build a frame if you have the skill, or get someone to custom build one for you. In your situation, there simply is no logical reason to undertake the task when your cheapest, easiest option is to give Brad a check for a Secret Agent, a Streetfighter or a Deathmobile in whatever flavor best suits your liking!

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Garson413 said:
I don't mean to be a dick about this, but if you honestly know that little about frame building, you're simply not going to be able to build a frame for yourself. You might be able to get someone to build you a frame with the geometry and tube set you want, but it's almost definitely going to cost you more than buying something pre-existing that fits your desires. First of all, you'd drop a few hundred dollars on a nice tubeset, then spend literally years learning to TIG weld well enough to get good results on the (relatively) super thin tubing used on bicycles or pay someone a few hundred dollars to do it for you, and let's not mention the cost of buying a jig to weld the frames in, as well as all the fixtures and milling machines to miter your tubes. Then add in the cost of the CNC'd bits that you won't be able to do without a $20,000 (used) or more CNC mill like your dropouts, bottom bracket and headtube, and it starts to make a lot more sense to just buy a bike. If you really knew what you wanted, and didn't feel that something close enough was available on the market, then it makes sense to go and build a frame if you have the skill, or get someone to custom build one for you. In your situation, there simply is no logical reason to undertake the task when your cheapest, easiest option is to give Brad a check for a Secret Agent, a Streetfighter or a Deathmobile in whatever flavor best suits your liking!
ive talked to brad...hes is showing me how to make a jig, where to buy the metal, what metal to buy...then later hopefully helping me with design

i can already TIg weld and i can get good results out of it...i didnt expect to just wake up one day and build a frame, i put thought into it and the procesess invloved...i can get most of the machined part pre built (bb, head tube...and the small ****) then i just have to cut and weld tubing...brad has told me in very good detail how to and the ways to make a frame and has been extremely helpful, to which i am extremely gratefull.

as for cnc machines i work in a steel yard where i have (or can get poeple who have) full acsess to these machines, i am willing to drop a few hundred on the tubes after i practice on cheep steel and i am fully aware that it is much easier to buy a bike...but then again millions of people work but it is alot easier to win the lottery...i want somehting no one else has or has seen, thats why im building this frame

but thanks for the concern

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
XSL_WiLL said:
He plans on doing it in one of his welding classes or something. Apparently he's quite good at welding.
yes i can...i have over 300 hours of mig, tig, oxy-acetelene, arc, and oxy-acetelene cutting...apperently im a fast learner because even with that little time i can tig 1/8 inch aluminum squares together (lap with 3/32 filler...i think)...but thats besides the point, welding is the easiest part...what im not looking for is the precision of the jig (home made) and the other parts im going to buy pre-fabbed

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
if i live down in illionis i'd be able to help you out making some parts here and there, because my dad owns all kinds of things to make billet cnc'd parts. we got mills lathes and aton of other stuff, but we don't have room so we keep it at my grandpa's where my dad use to build custom drag bike parts out of. if i'm down there anytime soon and can be of any help making something i'll let you know.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Whoops, didn't mean any disrespect, I had no idea that you were that far ahead of the curve. I was thrown for a loop with questions like if there's a particular welding technique, as that tends to be an indicator of people whose ambition exceeds their capabilities. Anyway, I hope it comes out great!

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ibanezrg520kid said:
if i live down in illionis i'd be able to help you out making some parts here and there, because my dad owns all kinds of things to make billet cnc'd parts. we got mills lathes and aton of other stuff, but we don't have room so we keep it at my grandpa's where my dad use to build custom drag bike parts out of. if i'm down there anytime soon and can be of any help making something i'll let you know.
sweet man...im not starting to build untill september so we got lots of time...if i mail you the metal with money for shipping back will you do it for free?:D

and will you be able to do it properly and well?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.