Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im looking to build a snow bike, not like a ktrack system but a ski resort bike on skis type of thing, i would like to be able to take the wheels off and put the skis on without any major changes to the MTB frame any help would be appreciated thanks

·
Crunchatize me Capn'
2,899 Posts
Having an engineering background I would say your first obstacle would be to design a binding system of the skis to the bike so that everything hold securely. After that, take off the wheels, drivetrain (I would leave the cranks on, using two right side crank arms for each side) and then experiment with ski widths, lengths, and shapes. Other than the ktrack system I don't think something like this exists, at least as a commercial product, other than maybe one front ski on the fork type of system.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Well, I have a ski bike. Diamondback Coil full suspension frame, Mantiou Splice fork, BMX lower profile bars and stem, and an internal headset to keep out the water.

I just bought the Hanson Ski-Bike risers and bolted them on some ski blades I already had. Also bolted Hanson's foot peds through the bottom bracket hole. The ski blades I use are a little wider and longer than the ones Hanson recommends, but those guys are running them on groomed slopes 90% of the time. You need more float in the powder. So I run wider 99cm blades.

NOTE: DO NOT FORGET A LEASH!!! If you are going to a big resort and will be using a chair lift, they will require you to have something to clip your bike to the chair for safety. Most times you can hang it by the seat on the rail, but a leash is good to keep from having an accident.

Hansen's kit is solid, but I don't trust the spring mech and the foot pegs are a little small. Otherwise it is fun as hell bombing down the slopes.

·
Registered
540 Posts
PS - Winter Xbike is now Hanson Bikes.

Like I said, the kit is easy to use, but the skis are too narrow, the springs sometimes get hung up when hitting a major jump and the pegs are too small.

I'll post a pic sometime.

·
Live, Freeze, and Ride
315 Posts
Got beat in a race by this...

...Bikesonsnow.com. I'm not a salesman, I talked to the guy in the videos after he won a downhill mtn bike race on the snow.
I did pick up his bike to get it off the shuttle and it was heavy. But if you use a lift or are just pedaling around it might be cool.
It definitely looked like it tracked really well as he carved through turns twice as fast as I was skidding through.:madman:
He had the best of both worlds : pedal power, and ski trackability, he acted like he was on a normal bike on the dirt(sort of). Two skis means you'd be dragging your skibike on the flats - no good. Two wheels - well I crashed 4 or 5 times in four runs.
It's more than two cents but there's lots of options out there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.