Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Amie is recovering from knee surgery and wants to start doing some lower-key rides with me. Singletrack, but nothing too extreme. A HT frame will suffice. I have a ton of nice parts to put on, so my preference it to go the frame-only route. I'm also trying to keep costs down, but obviously don't want to jeopardize her safety and comfort to do so.

The catch is that she is 5'2" with a 28" inseam. I was looking at the 12" Jamis Durango frames on JensonUSA, but the standover of a 12" is 27". This seems to me to be cutting it close. I'm 6'2", and quite adept at dialing in the fit of bikes at the other end of the spectrum, but the world of smaller frames is until now a mystery to me. So my question is: what do smaller female riders view as acceptable standover clearance?

I'm a big fan of Titus (I ride an RX) so the Riddler has also occured to me. Problem is that it is a bit spendy ($700) comparatively, but the standover is amazing at 25.5". Is there something that I am missing? Any other good options in the <$500 range? Should I just get something like the Raliegh Tess (SO of 25.5") and strip it?

Thank you all for your input!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
656 Posts
NAHTNOJ said:
Amie is recovering from knee surgery and wants to start doing some lower-key rides with me. Singletrack, but nothing too extreme. A HT frame will suffice. I have a ton of nice parts to put on, so my preference it to go the frame-only route. I'm also trying to keep costs down, but obviously don't want to jeopardize her safety and comfort to do so.

The catch is that she is 5'2" with a 28" inseam. I was looking at the 12" Jamis Durango frames on JensonUSA, but the standover of a 12" is 27". This seems to me to be cutting it close. I'm 6'2", and quite adept at dialing in the fit of bikes at the other end of the spectrum, but the world of smaller frames is until now a mystery to me. So my question is: what do smaller female riders view as acceptable standover clearance?

I'm a big fan of Titus (I ride an RX) so the Riddler has also occured to me. Problem is that it is a bit spendy ($700) comparatively, but the standover is amazing at 25.5". Is there something that I am missing? Any other good options in the <$500 range? Should I just get something like the Raliegh Tess (SO of 25.5") and strip it?

Thank you all for your input!
fit is all important, and height and standover is only part of that. 'most' women have longer legs, shorter torso than a man, so top tube length is very important, too. i suggest you make the rounds to your local bike shops and just have her test ride a few different bikes. it will become clear what is a good fit and which is not. take down all the important numbers(standover, top tube length, stem length, etc.)and work it from there. the frame you choose should match the tested bike she felt best on. a poorly fitting bike will not be ridden or could prove hazardous.

as for standover, i have about 2" and i am comfy with that. my bike is a very good fit. my previous FS bike had a too long top tube which made it difficult to get behind the saddle on descents. it was hazardous on DH's i clean easily now. it has been said that if a person is between sizes that it is best to go with the smaller of the two. dont know if that is true or not.

Rita
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
AZtortoise said:
fit is all important, and height and standover is only part of that. 'most' women have longer legs, shorter torso than a man, so top tube length is very important, too. i suggest you make the rounds to your local bike shops and just have her test ride a few different bikes. it will become clear what is a good fit and which is not. take down all the important numbers(standover, top tube length, stem length, etc.)and work it from there. the frame you choose should match the tested bike she felt best on. a poorly fitting bike will not be ridden or could prove hazardous.

as for standover, i have about 2" and i am comfy with that. my bike is a very good fit. my previous FS bike had a too long top tube which made it difficult to get behind the saddle on descents. it was hazardous on DH's i clean easily now. it has been said that if a person is between sizes that it is best to go with the smaller of the two. dont know if that is true or not.

Rita
Thanks for you input. I'd like to take her to some shops, but not too many around here seem to have the really tiny frame sizes. Well, other than the $200 bikes intended for 10 to 14 year olds.
 

·
the bomb
Joined
·
531 Posts
what about a fit test?

NAHTNOJ said:
Thanks for you input. I'd like to take her to some shops, but not too many around here seem to have the really tiny frame sizes. Well, other than the $200 bikes intended for 10 to 14 year olds.
do any of the shops near you offer a thorough fit test? Might at least head you in the right direction, since your demo options are limited.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
656 Posts
NAHTNOJ said:
Thanks for you input. I'd like to take her to some shops, but not too many around here seem to have the really tiny frame sizes. Well, other than the $200 bikes intended for 10 to 14 year olds.
even the cheapo bikes will give you an idea about fit. it is not like you plan on buying them. a couple years ago i rode a low end FS to try fit, i liked it, and bought the higher end bike. i have no regrets. it is very common for bike shops to not have smaller frames, cannot blame them since smaller frames might not sell.

Rita :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,605 Posts
NAHTNOJ said:
I'm a big fan of Titus (I ride an RX) so the Riddler has also occured to me. Problem is that it is a bit spendy ($700) comparatively, but the standover is amazing at 25.5". Is there something that I am missing? Any other good options in the <$500 range? Should I just get something like the Raliegh Tess (SO of 25.5") and strip it?

Thank you all for your input!
Just a note on the Riddler. I purchased a Riddler frame to replace my Fisher Kaitai hardtail frame, and the ride of the Riddler is so much better it is unreal. If you are thinking of spending the money for one, it is well worth it. You might get a quote from Chad @ redbarnbicycles (he is on this board), as I think I paid about $550 for the frame through him.

As others have said, fit is very important, but the XS riddler with a 21.5" toptube should be about right assuming your GF is normally proportioned.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
Cheap hardatail frames

Have you looked at the nashbar access frames or leader frames. They make decent <$200 hardtail frames that you can build up with extra parts. A friend of mine built one for his wife with his leftover parts. She rode it a handfull of times and now it sits and he wasn't out too much money for the frame. I think they make 14" and 16" frames and list the standover.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep, main concern is SO........

CDMC said:
Just a note on the Riddler. I purchased a Riddler frame to replace my Fisher Kaitai hardtail frame, and the ride of the Riddler is so much better it is unreal. If you are thinking of spending the money for one, it is well worth it. You might get a quote from Chad @ redbarnbicycles (he is on this board), as I think I paid about $550 for the frame through him.

As others have said, fit is very important, but the XS riddler with a 21.5" toptube should be about right assuming your GF is normally proportioned.
All the XS bikes seem to have TT length in the 21-21.5 range, but the SO varies widely, anywhere from 25.5 to 27+. I will take a closer look at the Titus, thanks.

I can't find SO numbers on the Supergo frames, which were an early contender. I suppose I could call them and ask.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,605 Posts
NAHTNOJ said:
All the XS bikes seem to have TT length in the 21-21.5 range, but the SO varies widely, anywhere from 25.5 to 27+. I will take a closer look at the Titus, thanks.

I can't find SO numbers on the Supergo frames, which were an early contender. I suppose I could call them and ask.
I went through the same thing recently finding a bike for my Sister (5'1.5"). I ended up getting her a Racer-X 80mm in part because of the low standover. Titus seem to be pretty good about that. Part of the reason the Riddler may have a lower standover height is the use of an 80mm fork vs. some others using a 100mm when they measure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The idea is....

CDMC said:
I went through the same thing recently finding a bike for my Sister (5'1.5"). I ended up getting her a Racer-X 80mm in part because of the low standover. Titus seem to be pretty good about that. Part of the reason the Riddler may have a lower standover height is the use of an 80mm fork vs. some others using a 100mm when they measure.
...get a cheapish HT to make sure that she likes it, then move over to an FS if she wants to. She is athletic, very persistent, and kinda nuts, so I expect her to take to it pretty quickly. Plus she has a great teacher!

As seems to be your situation, I love Titus and what they stand for. If cost was no object, we'd take a trip to Speedgoat the next time I'm back in PA. Come to think of it, we should do that just for grins, b/c Beth @ Speedgoat is Amies size.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top