Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was 2005 the last year for the aluminum seat stay frame? I have been doing some searching and looking at some pics but can't confirm. I just picked up my 4th racer, and although this one has the aluminum stays it does have the carbon link and the oval down tube. Grey with rainbow metallic flecks in the sunlight. Just trying to place the frame vintage and need to buy a fork for it. I have a fox RLC but it's an 80mm fork and I think the frame is 100mm. The fork does have the thick CK baseplate race so maybe I will try it to see how it handles.

Jeff

·
Registered
437 Posts
Check your fork, it might be possible to extend it to 100mm.

I built my Hammerhead again after few years rest. Still a great bike for singletrack, built with 1x9 and slightly shorter stem (105 instead of 120mm) and bit wider bar and I really like the way it handles.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check your fork, it might be possible to extend it to 100mm.

I built my Hammerhead again after few years rest. Still a great bike for singletrack, built with 1x9 and slightly shorter stem (105 instead of 120mm) and bit wider bar and I really like the way it handles.
Thanks for the info. The fork I am getting ready to use came on an HCR I purchased last year. The guy told me it was an 80mm fork and I just took that as correct info. Looking at the fork more closely though, I was thinking the length of the stanchions seemed a little long.

Measuring from seal to bottom of the crown the stanchions are around 112mm so I believe this fork is actually a 100mm fork as I understand an 80mm fox fork will measure around 95mm of stanchion length. Does that seem correct? If so I should be set with a good fork for my racer x and I will throw a rigid salsa fork back on the HCR.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Sorry, currently I don't have any Fox forks to check but I would say that it sounds like 100mm version. Check axle to crown height and google for reference, it should be about 470mm.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts