Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up a used frame with a DHX coil shock and was thinking about getting angled reducer cups. According to an email from k9 industries, they have 2 degree angled reducer cups that will fit the 5.1" headtube. I've read that guys are generally getting about a 1.5 degree slacker head angle with them- which would put it at about 65.5 deg. with a 160 mm fork. My idea was to get a Lyrik coil u-turn fork. For general trail use I could wind it down a bit for a steeper head angle and then use full travel for downhill duties. Does this sound like a good idea or would messing with the angles- and resultant bb height and wheelbase- be a bad thing?

·
biking is fun
2,365 Posts
Im sure a lot of people would say its a bad idea but i think it would be awesome!! I have a friend installing them on his banshee rune right now and it has about the same geo as the nomad. There are a ton of new bikes coming out that are really slack trailbikes and i think it will be the trend soon.

One thing to consider is your BB height will drop quite a bit. With switching to a zero stack headset and slackening out your bike it will drop it some. So when you drop your fork it will drop it that much more. it may make for mor pedal strikes.

I had considered doing it too and still might. I would get a lyrik 170 dh and an ELKA rear shock though and the thing would probably rip.

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
climbingbubba said:
interesting idea but why?????

that would put the HA at about 68-68.5 degree. just why???
The reason is to have the bike ride like it has a 160mm fork and not choppered with the 180mm assuming you like how it rides with a 160mm fork (I do).

·
biking is fun
2,365 Posts
gticlay said:
The reason is to have the bike ride like it has a 160mm fork and not choppered with the 180mm assuming you like how it rides with a 160mm fork (I do).
more like make it ride like it has a 130-140mm fork on it which i don't prefer. standard HA with a 160 fork is close to 67 degrees. with a totem its 66. when you switch to the 2 degree cups turned the wrong way (-2 degrees) and the zero stack k9 headset (-0.5 degrees) that would put you in the 68.5 range which is about the same as a 130 fork.

A better option for more travel and to keep the same geo would be to run the new lyrik 170 dh fork with a zero stack headset.

·
Registered
6,656 Posts

·
biking is fun
2,365 Posts
gticlay said:
I see, it comes with the integrated headset. So I guess I would just buy the cups that reduce it 1* instead of the ones that reduce by 2* so that the 180mm travel fork rides like a 160mm fork, but has the full 180mm of travel still.

"*additional head tube lengths often work as well and +/- 1º ARC cups are being made. Contact K9 for details and questions."

http://www.sicklines.com/2009/09/14/spotlight-k9-industries-angled-reducer-cups-2º-headset-cups-arc/
I haven't seen the -1 degree ones yet but it would be cool to have for some applications. in the end if you weren't running a zero stack to begin with then you would only slacken your bike out 0.5 degrees.

Another thing to consider though is you wouldn't be messing up the HA to much (still 0.5 degrees) but you would mess every other angle up.
Higher BB
slackened Seat tube
higher front end
(a totem would do these things anyway but even more so with the cups to steepen it)

If you are set on a totem then running it with a zero stack headset would be your best bet. 66.5 close to the original geometry and would keep the other numbers closer too.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In k9 Industry's email they only mentioned that the 2 deg. cups are available in the size needed for the Nomad. I think I'll pull the trigger and order them. Installed in the direction to slacken the HA and with a 160mm fork and a zero stack headset, the head angle should come in somewhere around 65.5 - 66. I read on one of the other forums that some guys aren't getting the full 2 deg out of them, though I don't know if this takes into account the zero stack headset or not. If I don't like the set up, I could always put on a reducer headset like the Cane Creek XXc and call it good, though I'd be out a pretty penny (the headset/cups ain't cheap!) I have a 26 lb. blur lt2 with a 150mm Revelation fork already for trail riding, so I was planning on using the Nomad for more gravity oriented days. I still need a bike I can pedal, so something like the Driver 8 is out.

·
Registered
143 Posts
climbingbubba said:
I haven't seen the -1 degree ones yet but it would be cool to have for some applications. in the end if you weren't running a zero stack to begin with then you would only slacken your bike out 0.5 degrees.

Another thing to consider though is you wouldn't be messing up the HA to much (still 0.5 degrees) but you would mess every other angle up.
Higher BB
slackened Seat tube
higher front end
(a totem would do these things anyway but even more so with the cups to steepen it)

If you are set on a totem then running it with a zero stack headset would be your best bet. 66.5 close to the original geometry and would keep the other numbers closer too.
Hey climbingbubba, quite interesting what you were saying there. So, I already have a Totem Solo Air 1,5'' and Im about to order my nomad but was trying to find the best combinason possible.

Let say I believe that the best angle is the original one (read HA @ 67) but I still want to use the Totem in the full 180mm mode, if I follow you, you would propose me to go with a zero stack headset to get a 66,5'' HA... right?

Do you have any preference regarding a zero stack headset for a 1.5'' steerer tube?

Thanks

·
biking is fun
2,365 Posts
louiffe said:
Hey climbingbubba, quite interesting what you were saying there. So, I already have a Totem Solo Air 1,5'' and Im about to order my nomad but was trying to find the best combinason possible.

Let say I believe that the best angle is the original one (read HA @ 67) but I still want to use the Totem in the full 180mm mode, if I follow you, you would propose me to go with a zero stack headset to get a 66,5'' HA... right?

Do you have any preference regarding a zero stack headset for a 1.5'' steerer tube?

Thanks
sorry there are no offset cups for a 1.5. In order for the steertube to be able to angle through the headtube you have to have room for it. thats why your frame has to be 1.5 and your fork has to be a 1 1/8th.

totem solo airs are really easy to lower though. takes 30 min.

Id just try it how with everything normal and if it feels really out of place than change it.

·
biking is fun
2,365 Posts
botinjb said:
In k9 Industry's email they only mentioned that the 2 deg. cups are available in the size needed for the Nomad. I think I'll pull the trigger and order them. Installed in the direction to slacken the HA and with a 160mm fork and a zero stack headset, the head angle should come in somewhere around 65.5 - 66. I read on one of the other forums that some guys aren't getting the full 2 deg out of them, though I don't know if this takes into account the zero stack headset or not. If I don't like the set up, I could always put on a reducer headset like the Cane Creek XXc and call it good, though I'd be out a pretty penny (the headset/cups ain't cheap!) I have a 26 lb. blur lt2 with a 150mm Revelation fork already for trail riding, so I was planning on using the Nomad for more gravity oriented days. I still need a bike I can pedal, so something like the Driver 8 is out.
sounds like a good plan. i believe you only get 1.5 degrees cause you are going down to a zero stack like you said.

make sure you post how it feels. i would love to give it a shot but like you said its really expensive.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.