Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I usually purchase bikes complete but am now thinking, build my own.
This will be new for me and am looking for suggestions and feedback on building up a Mojo, use will be for mainly all mountain - DH, up to 5/6' drops and don't mind a couple of reasonable dirt jumps.

The end result should be, easy to ride, comfortable, light, strong, and easy to maintain, with good quality parts and value for money. No cheap parts that will let me or the bike down, or break.

Most of all, make big technical accents a bit easier than on my Giant Trance 2. Can hand the Giant down to the kids.

Looking at ideas for all parts!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Unless you can get killer deals on parts it's usually cheaper to buy a bike complete. If that's not a concern I'd say go with x.9 or xt, a 160 fork and a sturdy wheelset for the type of riding you describe.

You might work out a comparison of cost for buying your own parts vs complete bike. Also, can you build it or will you need a shop to do that for you?

·
Registered
256 Posts
There is an thread on the Ibis site which has some "AM" builds. My suggestion is a Mojo (or SL, two differences, finish and weight, around 0.5 lbs)with RP23 and XT kit, I have been really impressed with the XT stuff, I tried some Hope Tech M4 breaks and they were not as good as the XT in MHO, reliable and not too expensive!

Stans Flow rims, I have been really happy with mine, but I think DT 5.1D are good as well. Without question a 20mm front hub!!

You should go with a 160mm front fork if you plans on 5' jumps, I have no real experience with these as I run a Magura Thor but I have heard really good things about the Magura Wotan!

Tires are a personal choice, I am sure you can use the same as you Giant, my personal choice at the moment are Continental Rubber Queens!!

Great bike, you will not have any regrets!!

Have fun..

GBR1

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is more a project built over a few months, i will be building it myself, have done own major repairs, adjustments and replacements but never the whole bike.

Do you know anything about the new x.0 kit from sram?

Forks thinking the Fox float rc2 or Rockshox Lyric IS

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have XTR drive train on my hardtail and X0 on my Mojo. Both are very nice and butter-smooth shifting. I am personally liking the X0 better with an XTR front derailleur. You must use the X0 rear derailleur with the X0 shifters.

Enjoy your build... BTW, the Manitou Nixon Elite TPC (145mm travel) is available for $325 at JensonUSA. FWIW, I procured my Mojo parts over a 3 month period, with a highend build costing just over $3k.

·
Mojo0115
1,667 Posts
madaus said:
This is more a project built over a few months, i will be building it myself, have done own major repairs, adjustments and replacements but never the whole bike.

Do you know anything about the new x.0 kit from sram?

Forks thinking the Fox float rc2 or Rockshox Lyric IS
I have been a SRAM rider for a while now and have x.0 shifters and x.9 deraileur on my mojo. But after riding the new 09 Saint stuff on my DH bike I am starting to thinking it might be time to try a switch. I have been hearing great things about the new shimano stuff.

I love my lyrik and love that it is really easy to service and the new Push treatment for it should be available soon (along with their full pimp option on the Boxxer - drool.)

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
The lyrik IS has motion control IS damping. You get external rebound and low speed compression damping. The regular lyrik has mission control, low speed/high speed compression adjustment, rebound, flood gate.

Not sure of the price difference but mission control damping is really nice.

·
Founder: Dirty3hirties
2,031 Posts
madaus said:
Checking out the Magura Wotan forks, look good.
If you're thinking about the Wotan, make sure you take note that the min. rotor size is a 210. That basically ruled it our for me.

I have a Lyrik u-turn...been using it for the past 2 months or so. Now that I kinda have it figured out, I realize that you can get away with a non-travel adjust fork so the Vanilla 36 is a good choice or the Float 36 or Lyrik Solo air. I just started riding it at 160 full time (the past 2 rides) and I tackled some pretty steep climbs...nothing technical though where wheel wobbling would be an issue but the front never felt like it was going to come up or was wandering so much that I had a hard time controlling the bike. I did have to lower my stem about 1/2" from my previous set up though. At that height, at 160, the bike was much tougher to handle....especially on switchbacks.

As for the rest of your build.....I've only used Shimano and the XT kit is all that you need...there really is no need for XTR.

I think for what you want from the Mojo....the most important thing is the fork choice and in my opinion, 140's are out of the question for what you want to do. I mean, I'm sure you can get away with a Pike or even the new Fox 150 15QR, but it would be so much better if you spec'd it with a 160. It's not necessarily the additional 10 mm of travel as compared to the 150, but the stiffer fork, slacker ride and tad higher BB would be good to have for the riding that you want to do.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I'm actually in the process of doing a similar build, but based on a new Blur LT2 (to compliment the my Mojo). I'm planning on running a Talas 36 RC2, as I found that I do use the travel adjust on climbs, and I can lower it to 130 to sharpen up the handling of the bike. I'm going with Sram X0 for shifters and rear derailleurs (XTR front, with Gore sealed cables), as that's whats on my Mojo, and I'm used to it. I have an XTR crank that I picked up for a bargain, and it'll probably end up with just 2 rings on it. The Formula One's will get transfered from my Mojo (awesome brakes!), as it's gonna get the new R1's. I have a set of Kings laced to Stan's Flows getting built now, and highly recomend Stan's rims. I have Arch's on my Mojo, and love them. And last, but not least, a Joplin R seatpost. An adjustable seatpost is a must have on an actual "all mountain" bike, IMO. This build will probably come in around 29 pounds with pedals and tires, and will be able to handle everything I can throw at it. A similar build with a Mojo would come in around a pound less.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.