Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently built up a new Yeti ASR-5 and absolutely love it. After building it, on a whim, I converted my old, 2006 HT to SS. I'm surprisingly enjoying it. But I love to have bike projects so I'm looking to build up a new one. Obviously, I need to start with the frame so I'm looking for suggestions. Here are some criteria:

- 650b preferred. 29er would be OK.
- SS specific. I don't want to use a chain tensioner.
- QR rear wheel (vs. bolt-on). So no plain horizontal dropouts without tugnuts.
- I care much about the material. I like aluminum but would consider steel or carbon.
- Something at around $500 or cheaper for the frame. Used is fine.
- I will put a suspension fork on it but I don't think that matters when buying the frame. But an included rigid fork would NOT be a benefit.

Suggestions for a frame?

·
Registered
717 Posts
This is WAY under your frame budget but I got an unbranded g29 SS aluminum frame for 125 from bikeisland.com. the g29 forum on this SS thread had pretty good reviews and you said you liked aluminum...just a thought. However someone on here will def. talk you into steel that's closer to the max of your budget which may be preferred in the long run. Just my 2 cents. Good luck!

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
91 Posts
Probably doesn't meet ALL the requirements, but Origin 8 Scout frameset can be picked up cheap, but I don't know if you can get the frame only

·
1,248 Posts
This is a little bit out of your price range, but maybe you can find a used one:

OS Bikes - Home

Pretty cool bikes. The TT is just a tad too long for me on the medium, but if the geo fits, would make an awesome SS.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Under $500 my choice is the Vassago Jabberwocky. Steel, lighter than most of the other contenders in its class (and cheaper too). I have been on mine for almost 1.5 years and am so impressed with this bike,and the customer service.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all!

I like the Jabberwocky and that was one of my first choices. But the company seems a bit sketchy. Can you only buy them online from their website? Looks like that had issues a couple of years ago...hopefully they are cleared up.

·
No Clue Crew
7,172 Posts
New owners, now based in AZ. Don't know the owner personally, but have spoken with him and he seems legit. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Vassago.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm digging the new Karate Monkey MDS, but the Soma B-side color is great in person. I have a Soma Juice and have been very happy with the sliding dropouts (same as the B side). You can put paragon sliders in there too if you ever wanted to go post mount or thru axle

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
got it! Thanks!

That may be the winner. Love the frame, the color, and the chain tension method.

Ironically, I'm right between frame sizes. My Yeti has a 22.5" effective top tube and I'm very comfortable on it. The Soma B-Side small has 22" and the medium has 23". LOL. I'm guessing I go with the small and put a 100mm stem on it. Do the frames tend to run a little big or a little small?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Which Yeti? I'd usually recommend going with the bigger size and running a slightly shorter stem. My Juice is a couple years old and ran quite small, but they're supposed to be much closer to normal now.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ASR-5. Small size. 22.5" eTT with a 70mm stem.

I'm 5'6" with about a 29" inseam and the ASR-5 fits me perfectly.

While I've got your attention, any recommendation on a relatively inexpensive wheelset? The Soma will not be frequently ridden--I love the Yeti too much to not ride it the majority of the time-- but there are a couple local trails where I prefer SS and will probably ride it a couple times a month. I have the drivetrain, brakes, and maybe even the fork to swap over to a Soma but will need to buy wheels. I don't want an expensive set for a bike that won't be ridden too often.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Ahh, Small B-side will probably work for you then. As for wheels I'd probably go with a Crest wheelset for around $500. I don't have any experience with stuff cheaper than that, and to me good wheels make too big of a difference to skimp on.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ahh, Small B-side will probably work for you then. As for wheels I'd probably go with a Crest wheelset for around $500. I don't have any experience with stuff cheaper than that, and to me good wheels make too big of a difference to skimp on.
That's the exact wheelset I have on my Yeti :). Love them with the Hope EVO 2 hubs.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts