Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to build a light weight, all mountain type SS on a Chameleon frame. Was looking at some different fork options and like the idea of a Talas because of the 100/120/140 option, would give me some versatility on the downhills.

For the people with Chameleons, what do you find to be the best fork height?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,511 Posts
I don't have a chameleon but I do have a 26 inch wheel single speed and personally 140 mm of travel is totally overkill. If you get out of the saddle and try to climb on a 140 mm you will be on a pogo stick. I ride some pretty rocky terrain and technical stuff and i am fine on a 80 mm fork. I would go for 100 mm
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
I had a Marzocchi 120mm fork with the lockout that you could lock in the compressed position for climbing and that was a nice set up. The long travel sure did a lot to tame that stiff frame.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,511 Posts
True, but the stiff frame never bothered me on the front of the bike, it was the the feedback that i got through the seat that really bothered me. Aluminum definitely lets you know what you are riding over

canascrews said:
I had a Marzocchi 120mm fork with the lockout that you could lock in the compressed position for climbing and that was a nice set up. The long travel sure did a lot to tame that stiff frame.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
849 Posts
cbrock450 said:
I don't have a chameleon but I do have a 26 inch wheel single speed and personally 140 mm of travel is totally overkill. If you get out of the saddle and try to climb on a 140 mm you will be on a pogo stick. I ride some pretty rocky terrain and technical stuff and i am fine on a 80 mm fork. I would go for 100 mm
I have a friend who is on a new model Chameleon with a Float 140. He kills everything on it. It looks really, really fun.

But, in the end, it all depends on how and what you ride. If I were to build one up I'd be very tempted by the TALAS (actually, I would be tempted by a 20mm Revelation 140). But, I am not you...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,511 Posts
The beauty of MTBR, you get everyone's opinion and then make a decision:thumbsup:

grundy said:
I have a friend who is on a new model Chameleon with a Float 140. He kills everything on it. It looks really, really fun.

But, in the end, it all depends on how and what you ride. If I were to build one up I'd be very tempted by the TALAS (actually, I would be tempted by a 20mm Revelation 140). But, I am not you...
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top