Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok fellas I came a cross a great deal on a Frameset, Fork and Wheels all 650B2. I want to put a Chris King headset and BB but not sure it is compatible with the bike. In case it is not what would you guys with Jamis experience recomend. Thanks. I hope you noticed I'm a newb. LOL!!!

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
You can use a Chris King headset but it needs to be an "Inset". A standard Chris King will not work. This frame is made for a zero stack headset. From what I can tell the frame just uses a standard bottom bracket. So you need to get one to match whatever crankset you are planning on using.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I thought I'd give an update on the build. I was finally able of buying all the parts. Currently waiting for shipping on some of them .
Here's what i got:
Truvativ Noir 3.3 Crank
XT Front Derrailleur
XO Rear Derraileur.
Sram Cassette 980. I think. 11-32.
XO shifters
2011 XO Brakes
GXP BB
Truvativ Noir Handlebar. Carbon.
Truvativ Stylo Team Stem
Truvativ Carbon Seatpost.
SPD520 Pedals.
Chain TBD.

I should have her ready by the end of the week. I'm dying to take her out for a ride. I'll post pics whenever she's done.

·
Registered
150 Posts
hey medix - how you liking the bike? i see a similar deal on ebay...15" jamis 650b2 + white bros fork + american classic wheelset...for $999 + shipping. hmmm....

what size did you buy and what's your inseam? I'm thinking pretty hard about this bike!

later!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Love the bike man. I just took her on a 16 mile ride on one of the more technical trails here in SouthFL and loved it. Took everything I thru at it. I got a 19" frame. I'm 6'1 with 33" inseam. This frame was perfect for me. After the whole build the bike weights in at 28 pounds which I never expected since weight wasn't on my mind when I got all the components. The wheels are very light considering, and maybe a tiny bit flexy but then again I weight 225. So it's to be expected. Not bad at all in my opinion. I have not experienced any issues with the Monarch shock. Love the white brothers fork. Very simple to tune compared to my other Reba XX.

Suggestions:

If there happens to be an LBS around you that is a Jamis Dealer is a big plus. There's a recall on this frames from Jamis. I contacted a local shop and he dealt with Jamis. He said Jamis was great and sent the "kit" to fix it right away. The "kit" was just tow spacers. Looked like washers really. Lol. After that no mode play on the real suspension.

I believe the guy selling the frames on EBay is the same that I got my set from. Nossadict or something like that. Very easy to deal with. Described the stuff perfectly and shipped fast. Packaging was excellent. I spoke to the guy and I'm sure he'd be willing to help should a warranty issue arise.

Let me know what you decide. But I'm glad I went for it. Bike looks great and rides even better. It rolls over stuff better than the 26er I had. Not quite as good as my 29er obviously but it is more nimble and handles great. Getting used to the 130mm of travel was a process. At first I didnt like a lot but I wa riding on the trail where I ride my SS 29er and it isn't very technical it just has great flow. But I've gotten used to it. And after yesterday's ride I'm sold on it. I've found my lost love for My geared bike once more. I was only ridding my SS and didn't want to touch the FS geared. Lol.
Best o luck brother. Let me know what u end up doing. :thumbsup:
Any more questions just shoot.

·
Registered
51 Posts
getting my 650 B2 frameset tomorrow!!

Hey Medix,

Nice build!! I bought a frameset w/fork and wheels from no.1ssaddict too. Where did you hear about the recall for the spacers? I've been googling and checking a bunch of sites including Jamis home page and this is the first I heard of it.

My build won't be quite as top end as yours as I have most parts already. Can't wait to build her up and ride, don't think it will be ready for this weekend but definitely by the dec. 18/19th.

Can you post a pic. of yours?

Thanks, Steve

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The issue with the spacers only develops in some bikes. I don't think it happens across the board. But if it does jamis will take care of it real easy. The way you check for it is grabbing your seatpost with one hand and the rear wheel with the other one. pull on you seatpost up and down a couple of times while holding the wheel. If you notice a little bit of play contact jamis. Hopefully you wont need it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
It's finished!!

Well, here she is!! Rides like a dream! It has been cold here in New England but yesterday got up into the 40's, nice day to break her in!

Here's the build:

Sram X-9 Shifters
Shimano XT front derailleur
Sram X-7 long cage derailleur (in case I decide to throw on a big ring)
Race Face XC cranks, 24/34/bash guard
Azonic Flats
Easton ea30 stem (70mm)
Easton ea50 seat post
Fizik "shark" seat
Avid Juicy 3.5 disc brakes

First ride was great, need to play with air pressure in fork and shock though.

Here's some pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Getting out this weekend!!

The first ride was disappointing because I put a new chain on used drive train (drive train only had about 50 miles or so on it) and it skipped like mad. Doh! :madman: :madmax: When I got home and put the old chain on it was smooth as butter but too late to go back out for a good break in ride. I took my son to the park and he used his skate board while I played with track stands and wheelies.:thumbsup:

Bike is well balanced, nice feel of riding in the frame, not on top.

Tomorrow calls for sun and mid 30's, hooking up with a friend and hitting the trails for a good ride, probably spend a half hour or so playing with suspension then rip through everything, singletrack, rock gardens, climbs and descents. Can't wait!!!:band: :D :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just bought a 650b2 and I'm hoping someone can help me with my question. I'm planning on using an old crank that I have for the build and it uses ISIS bottom bracket. I noticed that the lower spec 2010 model 650b1 uses 73x121 bottom bracket, do any of you have any idea if a 73x118 ISIS bottom bracket would work out ok for the 650b2 chain line? I will be building a 2x9 setup. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I wanna say yes. I used a GXP BB for my build. I'm guessing if u'd have to use one less spacer and that should be cool. It's only 3mm. Good luck.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Im around 5'7 or 8" 29 or 30 inseam . My road bikes are 53 /54. What size frame should I get? Ive been tiold 15" or 17" but they say 15 would be more manuerverable. Would I be too cramped on the smaller one? What type of gearing is good on the 650B?

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
So I've read that the White Bro's fork is not as buttery as the rear suspension and would benefit from something from Fox / RS...since you like yours...is this a case of a fork that's just not broken in yet would ya say?

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Im around 5'7 or 8" 29 or 30 inseam . My road bikes are 53 /54. What size frame should I get? Ive been tiold 15" or 17" but they say 15 would be more manuerverable. Would I be too cramped on the smaller one? What type of gearing is good on the 650B?
I'm 5'10" and ride a 17". Standard 44-32-22 gearing works fine with 650b. The wheel size only loses one low gear; 29'ers lose two.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts