Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I know I've posted alot before. My budget seems to get smaller as the days go on. Seems I can't get the deal I thought I once could. Looking at the GF Cobia or building up a Surly KM. The Cobia I can get for around $950. (give or take) My question would be - Could I build up a KM specd' about the same for close, or cheaper?? I would most likely run 1x9 gears if I could on the KM. (hopefully w/ better componants) Reba fork. Anyone with a KM suggest some good built parts. Or do you think the Cobia w/ Deore is a better ride for the $$$. I know there are pretty different rides but I think they are my best options right now. Unless anyone knows of a nice(er) steel ride??
Thanks for everyones help & patience.....

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
RIDIN'MO said:
OK, I know I've posted alot before. My budget seems to get smaller as the days go on. Seems I can't get the deal I thought I once could. Looking at the GF Cobia or building up a Surly KM. The Cobia I can get for around $950. (give or take) My question would be - Could I build up a KM specd' about the same for close, or cheaper?? I would most likely run 1x9 gears if I could on the KM. (hopefully w/ better componants) Reba fork. Anyone with a KM suggest some good built parts. Or do you think the Cobia w/ Deore is a better ride for the $$$. I know there are pretty different rides but I think they are my best options right now. Unless anyone knows of a nice(er) steel ride??
Thanks for everyones help & patience.....
Do you have any drivetrain parts in your parts bin, or will you be taking anything off of your current bike to use for the build (brakes, cranks, BB, grips, bars, seatpost, saddle, etc...)?

I assume you are going gears. Disc brakes or V brakes? If staying within your budget, heavier wheelsets and components are probably going to be in the mix.

If you look on eBay at the moment, there are wheelsets for a budget range of $129 - $200 (disc wheels), tires, etc... . If you are going KM frame/fork - the only thing you need 29"er specific is a wheelset and a pair of tires. The rest you can price out easily at all the online shops (cranks, BB, pedals, seatpost, handlebars, headset, brakes, grips, saddle, chain, front/rear derailleur, shifters, brake levers and cables/housing.

Could you build a KM for the same price as the $950 or cheaper?

Probably yes. KM frame and fork (or Zion or other low priced set), wheelset, tires and all your components if chosen wisely price wise - you should be able to make your budget. I would give myself some latitude and expect $800 - $1200 depending on what you already own and how much you spend on the new or used components. Shop wisely and be patient looking for deals - and you should keep costs down. Go crazy like me, and expect a Karate Monkey that costs well over $2K.

BB

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I am going geared and I am starting from scatch. NO xtra parts, as my last 2 Bikes have been stolen- Livin' in da HOOD! That's kind of why I was asking the question of a complete bike or not... Plus since I have no bike at the moment I'm really itchin' for a ride. So I am somewhat leaning towards the complete but still what to get the best bang for the buck.....

·
Registered
388 Posts
I doubt it. If you get an 07 KM and an onsale Reba, you're already at about $800. Speedgoat has 06 KMs in their closeout section for $299, but I'm still guessing you're going to be closer to $1200 with a Reba. Go rigid and it's much easier.

Deals are definitely not as easy to find anymore. I blew my KM budget wide open just trying to avoid bottom-barrel parts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.