Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently riding an '04 Giant Rincon and I love the frame BUT is doesn't have rear disk mounts soo... I've got the upgrade bug and bought some new Mavic Wheels and some clipless pedals and small stuff like that. I don't however want to spend a lot of money upgrading a bike I can't even put rear disk on without an adapter. Sooo, the question is...

Would you buy something better with Disk already on it or would you buy a frame and start a build? Budget is going to be around $800.

I was looking at a brand x frame
Brand-X XC Hardtail 7000 $128.42 (seems cheap but got great reviews)

Components from Jensen:
Shimano LX FC-M582 Crankset $89
Sram PG 990 9 Speed Cassette '10 $67.99
Avid BB7 Mechanical Disc Brake '10 x2 $91.98
Mavic Wheelset (have it already)
Rock Shox Tora 302 Solo Air Fork Oe $175
+ Chain, Seatpost, Tires, Riserbar, etc.
Throw in some shipping charges and we're looking around $800

OR should I go find a nice Giant, Gary Fisher, Canondale, etc. that's already put together at that price?

Part of the problem is that I love to work on my own stuff so even if I DID get the new bike I'd be wanting to upgrade soon anyway... :rolleyes:

What say ye?

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Doubt you would be able to find a comparable new bike for that price, but you may be able to find something better in a used bike.

If you build, I would cut corners in other areas (use old crankset, cheaper cassette...) to get a better fork.

·
3,707 Posts
I vote build. It COULD end up being a little more, but you'll most likely end up with better parts, too. Plus, it does give you a sense of "ownership" of the bike. I have built only 4 bikes thus far, and have kept all of them (except for one, which I gave to my sibling) and ride them all. They ended up being a bit more expensive than getting a new complete, but the components are decent and I haven't had to replace any of the parts I've installed yet (except chain/cog/pads).

Frame wise, if you're looking for cheap, get a Performance Access frame for something like $99. They usually have a coupon, so it could go down from that, too. They're decent frames, too, from the reviews I've read. Also, keep an eye on the classifieds here. You can score some good components for cheap.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mimi1885 said:
Build if you want to put the part you want to your spec. Buy complete bike if you want the best deal/value. For example if you want grip shifter, specific brands of grips, tires, brakes, fork, ect. But to build one as the way of saving money it's going to be tough.
Not thinking of building specifically to save money but to get the best components for the money. I think I can put together a sub $1000 bike with better components than I can buy one for but maybe I'm wrong... plus there's the fun of building it, knowing every bolt and the satisfaction of it. I'm actually looking at the carbon frames on ebay now... yeah, I know... haha! :skep:

·
Registered
784 Posts
It all depends on what approach you want to take. I don't think buying a complete bike is a better value unless you take advantage of closeouts and off brands. I find donor bikes work great for builds if you look at components before you look at the name on the side of the frame. When the Reign X came out it was $5000 and I could have build it $3500 + parts left over to sell with a donor bike and a frame purchase from Giant. What ever approach you take learn about geometry, head angle.top tube length, seat tube angle and how better components are going to effect the ride.Learn these things and you can buy a bike with your eyes closed and you won't have to be like one of the cattle running to the LBS to get fitted and test ride a bike with no understanding that a bike is going to pedal different with a 750g tire then a 585g tire or a RP23 shock compared the a Float R shock or small bump compliance between coil and air. Some people spend a $1000 more for a bike when another bike with a $300 investment or something as simple as a tire change will give them the same good pedal feedback..

·
Super Moderator
6,787 Posts
I say build....you'll learn about parts real quick and will be able to construct your own dream bike.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.