Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
having a hard time finding what i'm looking for as a complete bike. giant reign x1 is the preference. frames, on the other hand, seem to be everywhere.

is it worth it for a born again newb to buy a frame and start a custom build? stock giants don't seem to have many big weaknesses.

spreading the buying out over the next few weeks also means more to spend.

any tips appreciated.

·
i call it a kaiser blade
744 Posts
you have opened a hornet's nest of opinions.

let me give you mine as a person who now builds...

you will always buy a bike cheaper than building it. the sum of an LBS bike is always more than what they sell it for, and there are sales on older models, demos, etc.

buuut, if you buy a bike, you may spend money to replace its crap components, money you may never had to spend if you built it yourself.

and there's the rub.

if you buy, don't fawk with it. don't upgrade. LEAVE IT THE HELL ALONE and you'll save big money.

if you build, you can be sure of the quality and durability of everything on the bike. no mystery brands, no odds and ends, no cost cutting.

it's your call.

/2cents.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i'm addicted to tweak.

it's a sickness. cars, computers... even if i pick up a complete bike, i'd be swapping out parts in a matter of weeks.

i guess it really comes down to the bike. i'm looking at '07 or '08 X1's. if i'm out a few times a week riding aggressive am/fr am i going to be replacing enough in the first year to make building a better option.

·
Registered
157 Posts
There are some screamin deals out there right now. I just picked up a Fuji Reveal 2.0 for less than half of msrp. "Bad" economy + end of year sale = an awesome bike for me.

I'm not sure what exactly you are looking for but I'm guessing you can find many great deals either building custom or buying complete.

Happy hunting!

·
Super Moderator
6,809 Posts
I say BUILD. Not only will you appreciate the value of high-end parts- but you will find that your riding style will be better defined, as you carefully select each new component. I started this wanting to be a hucking Freerider...until I recently broke my collarbone. After eight weeks of recovery, I decided I am too old to afford breaking bones, and my riding style shifted towards XC. As a result, I eventually sold and replaced all my AM/Freeride parts, with lightweight XC parts, including the frame. Since I could not afford a light XC race bike up front- I built my Cannondale HT frame up with the very best components, slowly. It is much more exciting to anticipate and test parts, individually. Now that my dream XC race bike is finally done- I now have a 18-pound hill-crushing bike. Instead of paying $3500 for a built-up version of my bike- I upgraded each part, as my small paycheck will allow me. I now have a bike valued at close to $4000/new. Now comes the big challenge- riding the HELL out of it. I cannot wait until my next ride!

BUILD your dreambike!!! Everything about it will say YOU....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.