Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a tough time deciding on what route to take, I have a Trek HT and want to go FS. My trek has a great wheel set, brakes (Avid disc), seat, and some more components that I could transfer to a new frame. Now here is the problem. If I choose to build a bike I would want a completely new drivetrain (thinking SRAM X.7) including cassette, crank, chain front and rear der. and shifters. I could transfer the wheels brakes and levers over along with the handlebars and seat. I would also want a new fork.

So here is the dilemma, going on PricePoint and putting all the stuff I need in a basket puts me at about $1000 with the Sette Riddik frame and a RockShock Recon fork. And then I would be without the hardtail having stripped it a bunch. So my question is should I just go buy a new bike and forget building one? If I bought a bike I would probably get a Kona King Kikapu.

Any input would be nice.

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Tough choice

There are pros and cons to both. I've built a few bikes from the ground up and I can say that it's a great experience (and somewhat addictive if you like tinkering). Keep in mind if you go this route, you're going to lay out additional money on tools a bike stand and potentially a book to help you through the process (assuming that is, you don't already have these shop items).

If you're worried about not having the hardtail to toss around, get the Kona. Another option would be to take the $1800 you would spend on the Kona and sink $1000 into the Riddik build and the remaining $800 into building the hardtail back up. That way you have two bikes, and a better spec'd full suspension rig than the Kikapu.

Just my spin on the situation.

Bob

·
You wanna go ridin?
297 Posts
I agree with clyde.
Another option is to buy used on ebay or in the classifieds. All of my bikes came from ebay and they were all good deals. I've been screwed once on a saddle purchase but paypal got me my money back but other than that I have bought ~150 items overall and have been very happy.

·
Banned
462 Posts
Just to add my 2 cents. To me building is as phun as riding, so the question you might want to ask is, am I doing this to save money or am I doing it to have phun?

If you enjoy taking things apart and putting things back together again, and tinkering with it to get it just right I say go for the build.

Otherwise if you're considering it because you think you could save a buck or two, I would say just buy a new bike.

Personally, I like to look for deals on parts on this forum, ebay, and craigslist. I've also sold a lot of parts through my local craigslist. (Coincidentally, deal hunting is totally addictive :))

·
etnorthcounty.com
25 Posts
Buy

Buy on ebay. Building is fun, once you have a load of parts in your shop allowing you to swap, reconfigure, etc. There are just too many great deals on bikes on Ebay, or at many of the online retailers that unless you have real specific needs (say a sub 20 lb. hardtail), It's hard to save $$ building one up. Example, I just build a 20 lb. hardtail for about $3,500, but I had to scour closeout deals and sawp all kinds of stuff on Ebay to make it a reality. You just can't buy a 20 lb. hardtail. Just convert that ol' hardtail to a singlespeed, sell the drivetrain on Ebay, and buy the full suspension rig you want! My $0.02

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.