Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
I <3 bikes
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about building up a dj bike. Nothing extravagant, but I don't want a complete p.o.s. either. Thinking I could build a decent bike for under $500 using new(closeout) and used parts. The problem is that I don't know what parts to seek out as I'm new to the dj world.

I found a KHS dj frame for $80 new which would be the starting point. Fork would probably end up being a Marz DJ because they are easy to find and cheap.
No clue as to what crankset would make for a decent dj crank. Same with the wheels and hubs.

Advantage to building is that I can take as much time as I need finding cheap parts and I can build the bike with better parts than most cheaper completes come with (xt hubs over formula, nicer headset etc).
Cons to building: Will take months; might end up with a bike comparable to a complete pkg at similar price which means I wasted my time.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
svmike said:
Thinking about building up a dj bike. Nothing extravagant, but I don't want a complete p.o.s. either. Thinking I could build a decent bike for under $500 using new(closeout) and used parts. The problem is that I don't know what parts to seek out as I'm new to the dj world.

I found a KHS dj frame for $80 new which would be the starting point. Fork would probably end up being a Marz DJ because they are easy to find and cheap.
No clue as to what crankset would make for a decent dj crank. Same with the wheels and hubs.

Advantage to building is that I can take as much time as I need finding cheap parts and I can build the bike with better parts than most cheaper completes come with (xt hubs over formula, nicer headset etc).
Cons to building: Will take months; might end up with a bike comparable to a complete pkg at similar price which means I wasted my time.

Thoughts?
No, don't think so. You'd be better off with a complete from a cool company, like Blackmarket, Atomlab, Eastern, Haro, DMR . . . or buying someone's used custom build.

I honestly think the stock parts on Specialized P bikes, Haro Steel Reserve's, DK, etc. are actually pretty solid. Just ride it and if something breaks, replace. I rode a complete DK Xenia (the precursor to the Asterik) for 2 years, jumping, doing street gaps, everything. The only things that broke were some spokes and a fork seal.

If you try to custom build a DJ bikes with strictly clearance parts you will just have a kooky-ass bike. Like that $80 KHS frame you're starting with. Bleah.

·
Bikes Rule
1,133 Posts
Depends on your funds probably. I always build my own bikes. But I purchase everything at once and build it. But I work at a shop part time and have a full time job. I can afford to build it all from scratch.

Most people purchase a complete and then swap out parts as they go. Thsi is great nowadays if you get a decent complete from the start. However a lot of companies throw crap parts on a decent frame. You end up replacing those parts quicker than you should. In the end you get a custom bike but sometimes it costs the same or more than starting a custom from scratch.

Basically buy what you can afford and ride it. Replace as you go.

·
I <3 bikes
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm abandoning the build idea. The whole thing started with seeing that $80 frame and a few well priced components. Once I stepped back to estimate total build cost I realized I'd be better off buying a used bike. I'll just keep an eye on craigslist.

·
Registered
4,565 Posts
+1 on buying used. Check Craigslist, eBay, and pinkbike. Don't be afraid to search in other Craigslist cities and see if the seller will ship the bike to you. Jump bikes are like BMX bikes, they depreciate in value very quickly just because of how they are used. Which means you can find solid bikes for not too much money. Just go over the bike throroughly before you buy it. If you have a bad feeling about the bike or the owner just pass on it.

·
Recogonize.
106 Posts
custom will cost you quite a bit. like the others said, i'd go with a mid-level complete or buy a used custom or used higher level bike.

pinkbike.com is a good place for buying used, watch the forums though, full of trolls who have rode for a month and have no idea about bicycles.

i was looking into a new dj bike, the blk mrkt came to mind but the price on those is way high. i went with my fav company again and got a 2011 kona stuff and love it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.