Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Ridin bikes is fun
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ASR is a 07 frame that I got new last February (one of the last ones built in Colorado, I was told), it came with a 08 race build kit.

I crushed the front wheel beyond repair a couple of months ago (X-455 rim). I’ve been sporting my old Cross Ride wheel on the front since. I understand that the DT Swiss hubs are good hubs, but all they say on them is “DT Swiss” so I don’t know the model. I was thinking of using them to build up a new set. What recommendations would you guys make to build up better set of wheels with these hubs? I would like it to be tubeless, I’ve been running them ghetto tubeless and it’s been working fine, but I would like to go legit. The reason I want to do this is because I can’t afford to buy a dedicated race set but I would like to have a good all around set for racing and riding. I do have my old Cross Ride’s that I do throw on if I’m riding something extra rugged like we have round here in AZ.

So I guess what I’m saying is, I’d like a lighter, stiffer, stronger wheel set than what came with the bike, using the hubs I have, and not spending alot of money (for around $300 for the set).

Can it be done?

·
mutaullyassuredsuffering
2,053 Posts
Sure

The hubs are a little heavy, but completely bombproof, and hub weight really doesn't factor into rotation much. I think they are a hybrid of the DT 340's/370. I'd build them with a set of Stans 355's and Supercomps. They will be completely indestructable, and much lighter.

I think you can build them for $300 no problem. If you are a light person, a set of the heavier olympics might work as well.

·
Ridin bikes is fun
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
used2Bhard said:
If you are a light person, a set of the heavier olympics might work as well.
I'm 5'11" and weigh 175, so that's not to light in the XC race world, but not to bad in the sport field.

I'll look into those Stans 355's rim's. Are the Supercomps spokes?

Thanks,

·
mutaullyassuredsuffering
2,053 Posts
yup

surfndav said:
I'm 5'11" and weigh 175, so that's not to light in the XC race world, but not to bad in the sport field.

I'll look into those Stans 355's rim's. Are the Supercomps spokes?

Thanks,
Yup,
DT Swiss spokes.

The supercomps are (IMO) the best balance of strength and weight. They are stiffer than the revos, and lighter than the Comps.

Don't feel bad about 5'11" 175, I'm 5'8" and 175 in Expert...

The olympics hold up to my abuse, but they aren't as stiff as the stock Yeti wheels are. I can flex 'em pretty good, so they remain the race day wheels. My 355's are the bombproof training wheels and will not yield. The 355's would be a better option ifor all around wheels.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I used the Cane Creek Duros on my Yeti, still have the wheelset. Very light wheel, I used them downhilling at Keystone on my ASR and they heald up (amazingly). You can get these wheels for under $300 now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.