Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to the Sierra Buttes Trail Stewardship and our good friends at Santa Cruz Mountain Bikes, the famed $5 A Foot program is back! This time you get to buy some trail footies and a chance at walking away with a $10,000 build, your choice, from Santa Cruz. Lots of new trail this year and some exciting new projects happening. So it's a win either way, buy some trail, and maybe walk away with a sweet new ride.

Ronski

Click here to buy your trail footies:
Sierra Buttes Trail Stewardship

image.jpg

·
Registered
91 Posts
Sweet! No better riding I've experienced than the Downieville area. Just curious, why the cost of $5 a foot? Is is volunteer labor or paid? Does this fund also go towards maintaining the trail for the foreseeable future? I'm somewhat familiar with the Sierra Buttes Trail Stewardship organization, so I'm fairly confident these great folks are using the funds in a responsible manner, I'm just curious about how many shovels they need to buy with the cost of $26,400/mile.

Edit: Just found the "Read more" link. Things are much better cleared up now. Eight more feet of trail coming your way SBTS! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
94 Posts
It's a catch phrase for donations. I think you're reading too much into it.

Great group, though every one of you who enters reduces my chances of winning.

Enter anyway! I want more trails to ride!

·
Registered
416 Posts
Shovels are cheap, I went to one of their workdays a couple years ago and those guys consume $26k of beer per mile of trail constructed.
Sounds entirely reasonable, trail building is thirsty work!

·
Registered
6,137 Posts
I purchased some trail, be sure to make it nice and smooth as I don't want to become a human bike pretzel again!

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Bump!

And tahoeyeti, they don't know yet, especially since they're getting a good snow dump right now. A guy I talked to managed to make it up Butcher last weekend all the way to where it turns from singletrack to 4x4, but he said he did a lot of walking through snow for the last 1/2 mile, and there's still quite a distance up the 4x4 road to get to the start road below Sunrise - let alone the north-facing steep hills for the last bit of the shuttle road.

·
I've had a Pliny
400 Posts
Done. After riding Sunrise trail at the top of Downieville on Sunday, I vowed that I would add to my donation. That is one sweet piece of work.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Singletrack Solution

13222570784_5a51f0ddea_b.jpg
First off, a big thank you to the mtbr community- for your continued support of the Sierra Buttes Trail Stewardship and for enjoying the trails we are lucky enough to build and maintain.

In the past, we've been able to key into federal, state and county grants to build trail and to create local employment, however that money is gone. The 5 Bucks a Foot campaigns, along with our signature events like the Downieville Classic and Lost & Found, represent a new and innovative way of doing business for us and we need your help to make it a success.

This is our 5th campaign and we have some fairly ambitious trail building goals tied to it: finishing Corral Trail in S Lake Tahoe, continuing work on the Boca & Loyalton Trail connecting the Sierra Valley to Truckee and Reno, and also continuing to build out the Mount Hough/South Park Trail System in Quincy, which once complete will feature over 55 miles of singletrack and 3 big mountain descents over 3,500'.

Ambitious yes, but not impossible with your help. Buy some feet of trail, come dig with us and enjoy some of the finest new singletrack the Sierra has to offer. You'll be glad you did.
13391385713_0f0567dc98_c.jpg

1 - 20 of 27 Posts