Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want your opinion on how to build up my Selma Ti starting from scratch. All I have on order is a pair of Stans Crest rims. I would like to build it with respectable, strong, and relatively lightweight parts. It will be raced hard and likely crashed often. I'd prefer a matching component set...and a bit of bling/color. Consider my budget to be above beer but below champagne. Thanks in advance!

Specifications:

* Frame: Salsa Selma Ti (med)
* Fork:
* Headset:
* Bar:
* Brakes:
* Grips:
* Chain:
* Crankset:
* Bottom-bracket:
* Freewheel/Cog:
* Seatpost:
* Saddle:
* Skewers:
* Tires:
* Tubes:
* Rims: Stans NoTubes Crest 29er
* Hubs:
* Pedals:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,114 Posts
It's your bike! But here's my suggestions/how I'd build it

Specifications:

* Frame: Salsa Selma Ti (med)
* Fork: Reba 29er
* Headset: CK
* Bar: Niner Carbon
* Brakes: Avid BB7
* Grips: ESI Chunky
* Chain: 8spd
* Crankset: Shimano slx/ with homebrewed ring
* Bottom-bracket: Shimano
* Freewheel/Cog: 20t homebrewed
* Seatpost: Thomson
* Saddle: WTB pure v
* Skewers: shimano xt
* Tires: kenda small block 8
* Tubes: tubeless
* Rims: Stans NoTubes Crest 29er
* Hubs: shimano xt
* Pedals: crank bros

You forgot stem (thompson)
 

·
sh*t eater
Joined
·
217 Posts
Here is the build I'm doing (I'm transferring a lot of stuff over from my Scandium Selma frame.

Frame: Salsa Selma Ti (large)
* Fork: Rock Shox Reba XX 29er 20mm, tapered
* Headset: Cane Creek 110 ZS upper, 1.5" EC lower
* Bar: Truvative Noir carbon
* Brakes: Avid Elixir CR
* Grips: ESI Chunky
* Chain: Sram 990
* Crankset: The Hive Fifteen.G
* Bottom-bracket: Hive Fifteen.G
* Freewheel/Cog: Chris King singlespeed cog
* Seatpost: Thomson Elite
* Saddle: Selle Italia Flite
* Skewers: Salsa
* Tires: Schwalbe Racing Ralph tubeless ready
* Tubes: -
* Rims: Stans NoTubes Arch 29er
* Hubs: Hope Pro2
* Pedals: Time Atac Carbon
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you. How's the xx fork? Do you like the Hope hubs? I have time atacs and like them more than SPd and crank brothers. I'd be very curious to hear your feedback on the ride feel from the old to the new Selma. What are your expectations?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,699 Posts
I like the suggestions so far, I'd go with either build or a mix and match of each to meet my personal budget. One thing I think I'd change is a Niner Carbon fork. In a perfect world I'd have both forks, I tend to tinker too much to stick to any single setup.
 

·
sh*t eater
Joined
·
217 Posts
I'm still waiting on the frame so I can't offer up any comparisons yet. Same goes for the fork but I imagine the ride feel will be fairly similar to the Reba Team Dual Air that I had on the scandium frame. I do like the feel of the hydraulic lockout but I think it could be more gimmick that something that is truly needed.

As to the Hope hubs I find Hope to be great hubs. Great quality and performance at a reasonable price. No issues with the end caps which allow you to switch from 9mm to 20mm if you ever end up with a new fork and want to continue using your front hub.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,699 Posts
berrywise said:
I'm still waiting on the frame so I can't offer up any comparisons yet. Same goes for the fork but I imagine the ride feel will be fairly similar to the Reba Team Dual Air that I had on the scandium frame. I do like the feel of the hydraulic lockout but I think it could be more gimmick that something that is truly needed.

As to the Hope hubs I find Hope to be great hubs. Great quality and performance at a reasonable price. No issues with the end caps which allow you to switch from 9mm to 20mm if you ever end up with a new fork and want to continue using your front hub.
Can they also be adapted to accommodate 15mm thru axle? I think 20mm is overkill for the Selma.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks. Just ordered a Niner fork. Still torn on the hub choice. Leaning towards 240s or I9 but they are so darn expensive. Also considering going with a cassette hub so I can throw gears on if I need them to run in open class races...although I don't like the idea of running spacers. I have run the BB7 brakes in the past but am considering Hydros. Are the hydros that much better than BB7? If so, are there any hyrdos that are that much better than other hydros? For instance are the CR worth the extra cost over Juicy 5?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
DanD, when you say "one thing I would change would be the niner carbon fork" 'do you mean you have this currently and would like something else or that you would like to have this fork on your bike?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,699 Posts
Brandon.ONeal said:
DanD, when you say "one thing I would change would be the niner carbon fork" 'do you mean you have this currently and would like something else or that you would like to have this fork on your bike?
Sorry, I meant that if it were my build I would want the fork.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
218 Posts
Brandon.ONeal said:
Thanks. Just ordered a Niner fork. Still torn on the hub choice. Leaning towards 240s or I9 but they are so darn expensive. Also considering going with a cassette hub so I can throw gears on if I need them to run in open class races...although I don't like the idea of running spacers. I have run the BB7 brakes in the past but am considering Hydros. Are the hydros that much better than BB7? If so, are there any hyrdos that are that much better than other hydros? For instance are the CR worth the extra cost over Juicy 5?
I9 owner here. Got to say I love it. Craftmanship is great, colors you can get whatever you want. Now the best part is the engagement. Very importat to me at least on a SS. Did I already mentioned I love the I9 wheels?;) I'f you can afford it I say go for it you wont regret it.
As far as brakes I was debating the same thing as you for my build and decided after a bit of research to give the Hygia Usagi a chane. Hydro brakes/Light/and fairly inexpensive. Best decition I ever made. Love the modulation, no fadding and I'm 220#s. Saved myself some money to send it on other areas of the bike. So my suggestion is to consider those.

Best of luck. Should be a nice build.

* Frame: Salsa Selma Ti (med)
* Fork: Reba 29er
* Headset: CK
* Bar: Carbon straihgt bar. Easton/FSA/Niner/If you find a Syntace on Ebay those a great.
* Brakes: Hygia Usagi. Good brakes and light.Inexpensive.
* Grips: Ergon
* Chain: That's very personal.
* Crankset: XT crank arms with Homebrew chaing ring. Your choice of color
* Bottom-bracket:
* Freewheel/Cog: Homebrew with te color spider of your choice
* Seatpost: Thomson
* Saddle: Very personal
* Skewers: DT Swiss
* Tires:
* Tubes: What's that?
* Rims: Stans NoTubes Crest 29er
* Hubs: I9
* Pedals: Shimano SPD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
This is what i just built up my Niner One 9 with. Love it so far. Good Luck!

* Fork: Reba Team 29 XX with Xloc
* Brakes: Hayes Stroker Gram - Cleansweep X
* Crankset: Fifteen G/The Hive 175 mm 34T
* Pedals: Eggbeaters
* Stem: Thomson Elite X4
* Handlebar: Easton EC90 XC
* Water Bottle Vincero Design Magnet
* Seatpost: Thomson Masterpiece
* Saddle: WTB Devo Carbon
* Seatpost Clamp: Woodman Deathgrip SL Ti
* Headset: Chris King NoThreadSet
* Chain Sram
* Grips: ESI Chunky
* Front Tire: SCHWALBE Racing Ralph 2.25
* Skewers USE Tula SpinStix
* Rear Tire: SCHWALBE Racing Ralph 2.25
* Spacers American Classic
* Cog American Classic
* Sealant Stans Notube Sealeant
* Front Wheel Stan's ZTR Crest 29 Wheelset American Classic Hub
* Rear Wheel Stan's ZTR Crest 29 Wheelset American Classic Hub
Total Weight on a Niner One 9 (21.45lbs)

Total Weight Lbs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the input on the I9 Hub/wheelset and other suggestions. It's interesting to hear about the Homebrew components since I've never heard of them before. I like the idea of having a quality component and adding a bit of color wouldn't hurt the monotone color scheme of the Ti Selma. Going to go with the Ergon team grips w/magnesium barends. I've never heard of the Hygia Usagi brakes and there isn't a whole lot on the internet on them but the feedback seems positive. I wonder how they compare to the Juicy 5. Likely going with XTR cranks. Carbon bar option sounds good too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
218 Posts
Brandon.ONeal said:
Thanks for the input on the I9 Hub/wheelset and other suggestions. It's interesting to hear about the Homebrew components since I've never heard of them before. I like the idea of having a quality component and adding a bit of color wouldn't hurt the monotone color scheme of the Ti Selma. Going to go with the Ergon team grips w/magnesium barends. I've never heard of the Hygia Usagi brakes and there isn't a whole lot on the internet on them but the feedback seems positive. I wonder how they compare to the Juicy 5. Likely going with XTR cranks. Carbon bar option sounds good too.
Not a problem. Anything to help a fellow SSpeeder. As far as those Hygia compared to the Juicy 5 I like the Hygia better. I have XO brakes on my back up bike and I like the Hygia better. I have no complaints over the brakes. Modulation is great and one finger braking. Can't ask for more from $150.00.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
AEC, I can see why you love the One9. Unique build and the blue white fork combo looks awesome. Your Ray's park video was great too. (checked out your "Ride High" blog).
 
1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Top