Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

181 - 200 of 409 Posts

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Not only do the finer details come with time, so do diminishing capital costs, now that you've got a jig and all the equipment I bet you could do a second (or third, etc.) for almost peanuts. Discounting time, of course.

edit, not that I see any problem with what you've done so far, I'm somewhat in awe frankly.

·
will rant for food
3,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #182 ·
True on the upfront investment and lack of experience notes. I have the same departure-from-reality habit with software: "Oh, it'll take two days, and it will work correctly."

Eight months later, and it's finally pretty darn good.

Used a V-brake noodle to coax the vinyl to get out through the bamboo (this is the left seat stay, near the disc brake)... almost there...
IMG_4567.JPG

Bingo!
IMG_4568.JPG

There are SO MANY SWEAR WORDS associated with the following picture. I wrapped the top piece of vinyl too tightly, the angle of attack is shallow compared to the natural angle that a brake cable approaches the top tube. Consequently, the vinyl had both an "S" shape internally, as well as getting ovalized. It took me TWO ****ING HOURS to get a piece of **** cable housing run all the way through. I was really close just using two housings and sealing the gap with black silicone every time I want to change housings.
IMG_4569.JPG

·
will rant for food
3,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #183 ·
Decided to hang it up at a reasonable hour, far behind what I'd hoped to get done. Looks like I eyeballed the cable to come out at a good spot to line up with the rear brake... which, after the fact, turned out to be a silly concern because of the friction elsewhere in the cable's path.
IMG_4571.JPG

·
Registered
132 Posts
Might be worth asking in the framebuilding forum what sort of metal tube those guys use for internal routing in a steel frame? It would be easier to thread through the bamboo and wouldn't crush when being wrapped. Just a thought for the next one!

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Adam_M said:
Might be worth asking in the framebuilding forum what sort of metal tube those guys use for internal routing in a steel frame? It would be easier to thread through the bamboo and wouldn't crush when being wrapped. Just a thought for the next one!
For the next one, Drew is going to get a thinner piece of bamboo, steam bend it precisely to shape, remove the nodes and use that as a tube.

He's obviously not a man to be deterred by minor difficulties... :)

·
Map Maker
1,244 Posts
Drew Diller said:
Decided to hang it up at a reasonable hour, far behind what I'd hoped to get done. Looks like I eyeballed the cable to come out at a good spot to line up with the rear brake... which, after the fact, turned out to be a silly concern because of the friction elsewhere in the cable's path.
I bet if you lubed up the outside of the cable housing with heavy oil or grease it would slide through the interior tube better. :eek: (all sorts of alarm bells going off with that statement)

·
will rant for food
3,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #188 ·
I had used Kroil, which is quite slippery and "creeps". It wasn't about friction, it was more about getting past a blockage - the shapes simply would not deform enough.

I ended up putting a short bit of cable housing into a drill chuck, stuck the housing into the frame, and started turning slowly. The end eventually chamfered and poked through. It was then that the oil became useful.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Have to say, subscribed to this to follow it, but never imagined you'd be flying with it like you are ;) Congrats man, once you get this first one "under your belt" the next one will go like clockwork ;) :D

·
will rant for food
3,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #192 ·
Thanks Lynx... I wouldn't call this flying. Feels slow as molasses on my end.

I'm going to finish this project, but after doing the seat stays / top tube / seat tube lug tonight, I have to say the carbon tow is surprisingly difficult to work with on this fat frame compared to the road frame. There are certain spots that just do NOT want to get covered by a line of carbon - I can place the line in the trouble spot with slack to it, but as soon as I make a few figure eights and pull tight, the tension once again makes the trouble spot nude... This was a mild frustration on the bottom bracket of the road bike; this is downright maddening.

I think for future frames I am going to learn to work with carbon cloth instead of weaving manually.

Almost feeling not cut out for this anymore, ****. End rant.

·
will rant for food
3,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #195 ·
Mr.SBC said:
Drew, Poke in a couple needles/small nails where you need to cover areas. That way you can wrap the tow around the needles for coverage, then pull them out when them out when done. Thats how I did it on my bamboo/ti frame
Dude. I smacked my forehead when I read this. Good idea.

Dunce cap moment...

Took some tape off so I could get a rough idea of what it'll look like before sanding and finishing.

IMG_4577.JPG

·
will rant for food
3,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #200 ·
tscheezy, why do you say that? Messy craftsmanship (sorry), or just messy in general?

Keep in mind, as has been pointed out, I went overboard with safety equipment.

181 - 200 of 409 Posts