Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am new to the forum, but I thought I would ask for advice on the cheapest way to build up a bike (rather than not asking and feeling like an idiot later). I already have a 29er frame, but now I am in the process of buying components.

I have looked around quite a bit and I have been able to find several on-line dealers that are selling "kits" that have everything but a fork and frame. However, most of these kits are only slightly discounted (when compared to pricing out all of the included components in the kit to the individual pieces sold on their sites....and I think if I searched all the online sites for each respective part I could probably meet if not beat the package/kit deal). Additionally, these kits contain several parts that I wish I could change (i.e. sometimes the cranks/wheels are garbage) and I am not sure I want the hassle of buying a different component, and then selling the kit component I am replacing.

With that said, I was curious if someone knows of a cheaper place to find a build kit than blueskycycling or pricepoint, or maybe as experience interacting with these companies to get a further discount (wow, that makes me sound really greedy). For what it is worth, I am looking to outfit this bike in ~Shimano XT level.

Thanks All!

·
AKA Dr.Nob
887 Posts
If the "build kit" has everything you want (or the equilivent (sp) part from a different manufacturer) then it should be cheaper (and is far easier than buying everything separately).

If you are going to buy another pair of wheels or cranks and sell the ones that come in the kit you might as well everything individually.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
gumbymark said:
If the "build kit" has everything you want (or the equilivent (sp) part from a different manufacturer) then it should be cheaper (and is far easier than buying everything separately).

If you are going to buy another pair of wheels or cranks and sell the ones that come in the kit you might as well everything individually.
Well i agree that is "should" be cheaper, but after totaling it up...it isn't always THAT much cheaper.

For instance: http://www.blueskycycling.com/product4196_67_-Shimano_XT_29er_Group_Kit.htm

When I totaled this up for all the parts separately (without the grips and tubes), it cost: ~$1315. They are selling the kit for $1250. To me, that is not much of a savings considering I am buying ALL of the parts from them and I don't get a choice on each component. I have yet to calculate how much less the total "kit" might be if I search all of the online sites for the best price on each component (though I am actually in the process of doing this right now).

Anyhow, I was wondering if there is any better options out there--maybe like a company that will offer a % discount on a order over a certain $$$ amount or something. Maybe this is just wishful thinking. But as you mentioned, I am not really excited to deal with the headache of ordering parts from 10 different online sites.

·
Frequent Crasher
515 Posts
What I have found it that stores outside of the US often have cheaper prices. Chain Reaction cycles, has significantly lower prices on wheels. I have purchased some parts from them, and shipping is free for orders over $250. I then have shopped on ebay for other parts where the prices were comparable to Chain Reaction. I try to get free shipping when I order on Ebay, I use the live.com cash back on the more pricey pieces, and so far I have almost finished my tri-bike for a lot less than I would have spent, without shopping wisely.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I just priced out that kit from BlueSkyCycling using Wiggle and ChainReactionCycles (both from the UK i think), and I was able to assemble the EXACT kit for about $200 less than the kit price.

So....looks I will be ordering some parts internationally! I am now going to do some requisite research on these UK internet dealers to see if there have been any issues with US customers (though I know people on this site seem to have great experiences with Chain Reaction).

·
Registered
4 Posts
I built my KHS xc-604 for about 300 bucks cheaper than buying a complete bike. I also have way better parts on it. Just take your time and also check out the ebay company stores, I saved a ton that way. I bought a new XT f/r derailers, shifters and crank for 200 bucks to my door.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.