Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
'92 M700, '94 Delta V 600, '94 Super V 2000, '01 Jekyll 2000, '04 Jekyll 1000 ,
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up decent used "04 Jekyll frame to build as a project bike..
Bicycle frame Bicycle fork Bicycle seatpost Bicycle Bicycle tire
Bicycle Bicycle frame Bicycle seatpost Bicycle fork Bicycle tire

Here is what I'd like to build and make it capable but not break the bank expensive. Although, today's parts availability and prices don't help with that aspect.

Brakes: Shimano MT-200 with 180mm front/ 160mm rear (K.I.S.S)
Cassette: Box Two/Three Prime 9 or Microshift Advent
Crankset: Shimano XT FC-760 converted to x1 with wolftooth 30t chainring and bashguard (all on the way)
Fork: Manitou Markhor 26" or RockShox Recon Silver TK Air 26" (possibly 27.5 for mullet setup) I have the kit to swap it to 1 1/8th already.
Handlebar: ??? 31.8mm as minimum
Rear Shock: stock Manitou Swinger it came with (it holds air and does't leak and works ,but I have a rebuild kit for it already just is case)
Stem:??? 31.8mm as minimum w/40-60mm length (partial to Raceface Turbine)
Wheelset: ???? 26" wheels are the second most expensive part of the build!

Please feel free to offer any advice/improvements. Especially on the cassette,forks, handlebars, stem...those are really the only areas I'm still not set on or locked into like the rear shock.
I'd like the Lefty fork and front wheel but they aren't budget friendly, but OH how cool they look and work!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Box seems to be better than Microshift, from the reviews. If you go 9-speed, check out the Bolany wide ratio cassettes on eBay. They are pretty heavy, but no more so than the Box units, and waaaay cheaper. I used an 11-42 on my 1x9 Rush, but I think they make at least an 11-46 as well.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. the weight differences aren't a issue. I am more concerned with how well they wear over time.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Careful with short stems. I tried one on my vintage bike and felt like I sized it down two sizes. Not saying that will happen to you, but if it was designed for a 110mm stem and you put a 35 on there…
Good point. I'll keep it in mind as I work on this build.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here is the latest addition.
Wheel Tire Bicycle Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle tire
Bicycle Wheel Bicycle frame Tire Bicycle tire

Do you think I matched the patina on the crankset?

Or do you think I should polish the swing arm and refinish the crankset?

Last question. Anyone have experience with Tekro HD-M735 brakes? I'd love to hear if anyone on here uses or has used them. I don't want to solely on online review sites / youtube channels. Those are typically just .Here is the features, do they work and a subjective comparison of how they "feel" compared to brand x or y . I'd like something that is from someone who is or has used them for a bit of time to get a real sense of reliabilty, ease of maintenance, wear, etc...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.