Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I a debating over whether to build up a bike out of parts from pricepoint.com based on a Sette Reken frame or to buy a complete GT Zaskar Expert.

Here are the parts i have selected if i do the build:
Kenda Tomac Small Block Eight Folding Tire 26 x 2.1

Shimano LX M580 Rapidfire Shifter Lever

Sette APX Alloy White Seatpost White 27.2mm

Selle Italia Shiver

Shimano SLX M660 Fnt Der T/S Dual 28.6/31.8/34.9

Shimano LX M581 Rear Derailleur Long Cage

Truvativ Firex 3.3 Team Crankset 2008 Black 175mm

Sram PC 971 Chain w/ PowerLink 2008

Sram PG 970 Cassette 9 Speed 2008 11-34

Avid BB7 Disc Brake - Mechanical 160mm 2008 Front 160mm

Avid BB7 Disc Brake - Mechanical 160mm 2008 Rear 160mm

Avid Speed Dial 7 Levers 2008

Sette Venn 6061 MTN Stem 1 1/8 10D White 100mm

Maddux Cross Pro D400 UST Wheelset

Sette Vector 25.4mm Handlebar -7075

Cane Creek S-3 Headset

Crank Brothers Egg Beater C Pedals

Oury Mountain Grips Clear

Sette Reken Hardtail Alloy Frame Matte Black 16"

Marzocchi XC 700 SL Suspension Fork 2007 Signal White 90mm-130mm

·
Mal Ad Osteo
200 Posts
Usually its a little cheaper to get a full OEM build, but a lot of the time you won't get very good/the components you want.
If you've got the money I would just do it yourself, its more fun and you don't have to really worry about upgrading again right away.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Remember to take into account the cost of any tools you'll need for the build. I built up a very similar bike as you have planned here (same frame, brakes, chain cassette, sram x7 shifters and deraileurs instead of shimano, RS Tora 318 fork instead of marzocchi) taking my time to get the best deals on everything, buying a little at a time over the winter, and by my calculations i came out ahead of similar spec'ed bikes from an OEM, until i add in the cost of the tools. You'll need (at minimum):
  • BB tool
  • Cassette lockring tool
  • Headset press (can make your own or have LBS do it)
  • Crown race setter (piece of PVC pipe and rubber mallet works great)
  • Star nut setter (i used a socket and a bolt)
  • Chain tool
  • Cable/housing cutter (dremel works great)
  • Good set of allens
  • Pedal wrench if pedals can't be tightened with allen
  • Floor pump (should have anyway)
  • Workstand is very nice to have, but not 100% necessary
All that can add anywhere from $50 to a couple hundred dollars to the build. I ended up on the high side of that range since i went for mostly Park tools and did get a workstand. So it may not be cheaper to build it yourself, but its a heck of a lot more fun and you can get exactly what you want. Plus, once you've made the investment in the tools and the knowledge to do it yourself, the next bike you build will definitely be cheaper.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Building yourself will almost always cost more. If you're very specific about what you want and can't find a comparable complete bike, build it, otherwise buy it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have been convinced to buy an oem build and then over the winter build up a cross bike. thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
876 Posts
trailville said:
Building yourself will almost always cost more. If you're very specific about what you want and can't find a comparable complete bike, build it, otherwise buy it.

I don't get why people say that. If I look at what I spent to build up my Motolite, even including tools, it was around $5K. I have a build that's between their highest and second highest cost builds, which are both a good bit more. And I'll always have the tools. And my wheels are, IMO, nicer than those they spec the builds with.

David B.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts