Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started the thread below on Monarch Crest trail and after speaking with a local bike shop, the first ten miles are mud and snow. Maybe in August.

As such, I am now motivated to do the buffalo creek to waterton canyon section of the Colorado trail. Where is the trailhead for this section of the trailride in Buffalo creek? I usually catch the trail at the parking lot at the turnoff to go to all of the campsites in buffalo creek but I don't see the trail going east from here only west towards baldy and gashouse.

Also, once you get on the trail, is it well marked all the way to waterton canyon? Thanks!

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
smithrider said:
I started the thread below on Monarch Crest trail and after speaking with a local bike shop, the first ten miles are mud and snow. Maybe in August.

As such, I am now motivated to do the buffalo creek to waterton canyon section of the Colorado trail. Where is the trailhead for this section of the trailride in Buffalo creek? I usually catch the trail at the parking lot at the turnoff to go to all of the campsites in buffalo creek but I don't see the trail going east from here only west towards baldy and gashouse.

Also, once you get on the trail, is it well marked all the way to waterton canyon? Thanks!
It depends on how big a ride you want. You can start at Pine Valley for most mileage, Buffalo Creek for intermediate or all the way from Little Scraggy or Shinglemill THs for least mileage. You can also connect a bunch of the trails there before hitting the CT if you're feeling really strong.

_MK

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We were thinking of starting in Buffalo Creek. Is the start of the second section near the parking lot immediately after the turnoff to the campsites on the right where section three starts? I assume it is just accross the highway at the top of the hill on the east side of the road but have never really paid attention. Thanks!

·
bacon! bacon! bacon!
12,453 Posts
smithrider said:
We were thinking of starting in Buffalo Creek. Is the start of the second section near the parking lot immediately after the turnoff to the campsites on the right where section three starts? I assume it is just accross the highway at the top of the hill on the east side of the road but have never really paid attention. Thanks!
It's not... IIRC you need to go a little ways back toward Pine and look to the east.

·
ColoradoCoolBreeze
679 Posts
smithrider said:
As such, I am now motivated to do the buffalo creek to waterton canyon section of the Colorado trail. Where is the trailhead for this section of the trailride in Buffalo creek?
The TH East is at the paved road that turns left just before the turn you usually make to the CGs or pay parking. From there to the river is about 11 miles. From the river to the end of Waterton its about 16 miles.

Once you are at the river the TH is just across the road. It's about 3.5 miles up out of the canyon, then it levels out. The trail is well marked until you get to an area where a moto trail cuts thru it gets a bit tricky there. Just after that, you will come to an area thats nothing but big boulders going straight down for 50 to 75 feet. If you see this you are still on the trail. After that its a slam dunk. Happy Trails.

hth

PS- cartographer posted some great shots of this part of the trail. Check it out.
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=421008&highlight=Waterton

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies! Are there any free maps online that show segments 1 and 2 of the trail so we can be sure to stay on course and to help navigate us by the motorcycle trails in the first segment? Thanks.

·
bacon! bacon! bacon!
12,453 Posts
Seriously - just look for one of these if you have any doubts:

You still need to take a map, though... check online for free topographic maps. I think there are a number of sources.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.