Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
2,856 Posts
Depends on where in BC you start from but very doable and fun. Here is some info.

After a quick search I found this ride, it looks like it started at the top of 126 by the BC pay lot area:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=2322442#post2322442

I've done it but can't remember the stats, 40-45 miles sounds about right if you start from the BC ranger station, more if you start from Pine Valley. Add about 1,500' of climbing to the above ride info, even more if start from PV.

Enjoy -

Ed E

·
Just go ride!
616 Posts
Rontele said:
has anybody done this and care to share beta, mileage (close to 40?), vertical gained/vertical loss?
I've done this in the opposite direction a few times. From Buffalo Creek, you have a couple of options. Ride up the pavement ~3 miles to where the CT crosses the road, or maybe continue another mile or so to the trailhead on FS-550. You could also ride up one of the other Buffalo Creek trails (e.g. Gashouse trail) until you intersected the CT.

The trail from FS-550 to Waterton Canyon is considered Segments 1 & 2 of the CT. The mileage is ~26 miles. Your vertical feet lost would be ~4500', with a gain of maybe 1000', making for lots of fun downhill riding! Those are easily 2 of the best sections of the Colorado Trail. The only real climb you'd face in that direction is just after crossing the South Platte River at mile 11.

If you are looking for more miles, tack on Segment 3 starting at the Wellington Lake road for an extra 12 miles of fun, rolling singletrack.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Stefan_G said:
I've done this in the opposite direction a few times. From Buffalo Creek, you have a couple of options. Ride up the pavement ~3 miles to where the CT crosses the road, or maybe continue another mile or so to the trailhead on FS-550. You could also ride up one of the other Buffalo Creek trails (e.g. Gashouse trail) until you intersected the CT.

The trail from FS-550 to Waterton Canyon is considered Segments 1 & 2 of the CT. The mileage is ~26 miles. Your vertical feet lost would be ~4500', with a gain of maybe 1000', making for lots of fun downhill riding! Those are easily 2 of the best sections of the Colorado Trail. The only real climb you'd face in that direction is just after crossing the South Platte River at mile 11.

If you are looking for more miles, tack on Segment 3 starting at the Wellington Lake road for an extra 12 miles of fun, rolling singletrack.
Bump cause I am thinking about doing this one day over memorial day weekend. Probably would want to do it from Wellington Lake, roughly 41 miles, I believe.

Is the only big climb out of the South Platte as you go from Section 2 to Section 1 of the trail? I imagine there is a climb out of Wellington Lake, east on the trail at the beginning, what is that like?

·
Registered
446 Posts
..compared to Monarch Crest ?....

...how does this compare? I have never done BC to WC and am not familiar whith what it rides through as I am a bit new here. I did Monarch last summer from the top 32+ miles back. I think the last three were on pavement. If you are talking similiar with another 9 miles added...that sounds like a big
day.

What is the ride like details please :).
Th:thumbsup: anks
CS

·
Just go ride!
616 Posts
Rontele said:
Bump cause I am thinking about doing this one day over memorial day weekend. Probably would want to do it from Wellington Lake, roughly 41 miles, I believe.

Is the only big climb out of the South Platte as you go from Section 2 to Section 1 of the trail? I imagine there is a climb out of Wellington Lake, east on the trail at the beginning, what is that like?
Segment 3 (out of Wellington lake) is smooth and rolly. There are climbs, but they are mellow. Segment 2 will be almost exclusively downhill to the S. Platte. Segment 1 will climb 1000', then down a bit, then another shorter climb to the final downhill to Waterton.

Stay away from segment 1 until they clear the downed trees though... I'm gonna start another post with a pic.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Stefan_G said:
Segment 3 (out of Wellington lake) is smooth and rolly. There are climbs, but they are mellow. Segment 2 will be almost exclusively downhill to the S. Platte. Segment 1 will climb 1000', then down a bit, then another shorter climb to the final downhill to Waterton.

Stay away from segment 1 until they clear the downed trees though... I'm gonna start another post with a pic.
Stefan, thanks for the information. So it is easily doable in a day for a group of fairly fit and fast-ish riders? When do you think the trees on Segment 1 will be cleared by?

·
Just go ride!
616 Posts
Rontele said:
Stefan, thanks for the information. So it is easily doable in a day for a group of fairly fit and fast-ish riders? When do you think the trees on Segment 1 will be cleared by?
Easily, easily doable in a day for even average riders. I would wager you'll do it in ~6 hours including snack breaks and lunch! It will probably go by so fast you'll be wishing you had planned a longer day. :)

No idea when the trees will get cleaned up, but I bet it's at least a full week's worth of work for 1 crew. That doesn't include all the water erosion/damage from the creek running down the trail either. Of all the trails, I bet the Colorado Trail gets cleared up first since it is well known, a high priority, has lots of volunteers, and sees the most traffic.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.